Multi New Law in Arkansas - Legal to ride side by side on street???

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I heard that a new Arkansas law was passed making it legal to ride your side by side outside city limits in the county. Is this true? I can't find much info on the specifics...I can find the new law but nothing about equipment needed for the side by side like blinkers, mirrors, horn, ect.
Has anybody heard or read anything about this?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I heard that a new Arkansas law was passed making it legal to ride your side by side outside city limits in the county. Is this true? I can't find much info on the specifics...I can find the new law but nothing about equipment needed for the side by side like blinkers, mirrors, horn, ect.
I have not heard this.. I follow a lot of groups on FB ad would figure this would be posted all over if so

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
INDEPENDENCE COUNTY, AR (KAIT) -

More people might be out on county roads on all-terrain vehicles thanks to warm weather and a new state law.

The Arkansas Legislature passed a bill during their most recent session allowing people to drive ATVs, like four-wheelers or side by sides, on public streets and highways outside of city limits.

Independence County Sheriff Shawn Stephens said Wednesday that they usually see quite a few people driving ATVs in the county anyways and this could increase those numbers.

The sheriff said usually they don’t have many problems from riders if they are being cautious.

“A lot of people when they’re out joy riding or on the weekends when they’re out on the backroads, they’ll ride two or three wide and that’s actually more dangerous because of the curves and stuff,” Stephens said.

He does ask, though, that people obey all laws regardless of what they’re driving or where they are driving it at.

“The same rules do apply,” Stephens said. “You can still get a driving while intoxicated just as well as you're in a vehicle because it is a motorized vehicle. If it's a side by side, which is commonly what everybody is going onto now, wear your seatbelt just like you are in a car. You still have to follow all of the traffic laws.”

Stephens also asks that motorists be aware that more of these all-terrain vehicles are on the roads now and look out for them.

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't know , but there are talk about it on other side by side boards if you do a search...I can't find the actual bill , but I do know it was passed in 2018...Just don't know where to find specifics....confused :confused::confused:

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know , but there are talk about it on other side by side boards if you do a search...I can't find the actual bill , but I do know it was passed in 2018...Just don't know where to find specifics....confused :confused::confused:
So I know they passed or rather removed a newly enacted law that limited you to 3 miles on a road inbetween trail heads, or property your owned. I usually follow Sarah Capp who is in the state House... she has been a big supporter of UTV’s

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
INDEPENDENCE COUNTY, AR (KAIT) -

More people might be out on county roads on all-terrain vehicles thanks to warm weather and a new state law.

The Arkansas Legislature passed a bill during their most recent session allowing people to drive ATVs, like four-wheelers or side by sides, on public streets and highways outside of city limits.

Independence County Sheriff Shawn Stephens said Wednesday that they usually see quite a few people driving ATVs in the county anyways and this could increase those numbers.

The sheriff said usually they don’t have many problems from riders if they are being cautious.

“A lot of people when they’re out joy riding or on the weekends when they’re out on the backroads, they’ll ride two or three wide and that’s actually more dangerous because of the curves and stuff,” Stephens said.

He does ask, though, that people obey all laws regardless of what they’re driving or where they are driving it at.

“The same rules do apply,” Stephens said. “You can still get a driving while intoxicated just as well as you're in a vehicle because it is a motorized vehicle. If it's a side by side, which is commonly what everybody is going onto now, wear your seatbelt just like you are in a car. You still have to follow all of the traffic laws.”

Stephens also asks that motorists be aware that more of these all-terrain vehicles are on the roads now and look out for them.
So are you saying that this was only passed for independence county??

Reactions: Dp5hunter and BWAF
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
No..It's a state law, ...it was either signed by the governor of Arkansas or at least not veto'ed and went into law. This was just a article from Independence county that I found quick about it that confirms the passage of the law..the arkansas legislature passed the bill for the whole state.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No..It's a state law, ...it was either signed by the governor of Arkansas or at least not veto'ed and went into law. This was just a article from Independence county that I found quick about it that confirms the passage of the law..the arkansas legislature passed the bill for the whole state.
I’d like to know for sure because I have a sxs trail map that’s 434 miles across the state from the Mississippi to ft Smith I’d like to do with the tear drop.

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'll see if I can find out anything. You used to be able to ride a sxs on any public road other than interstate as long as you had all the required safety issues and insurance covered. Arkansas would issue a license plate that you mounted on the rear and you was good to go. Roughly three years ago it was changed and was prohibited. The last I have knowledge of is riding from trail head to trail head within a state or national forest. Property to property could be a major issue if you own two parcels 50 miles apart.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I know they passed or rather removed a newly enacted law that limited you to 3 miles on a road inbetween trail heads, or property your owned. I usually follow Sarah Capp who is in the state House... she has been a big supporter of UTV’s
That is about the ONLY times I would have ANY desire to ride on public roads.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and BWAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!