New lightbar install now machine does not start

Technoguru

Technoguru

Lifetime Member
May 8, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
so I installed a new lightbar. I turn the key and flip the switch and the lights come on but the machine will not start. It does not crank or attempt to start just dead.

It is connected directly to the battery with a harness to cab switch.

If I disconnect the lights from the battery then the machine starts right up. Reconnect the positive and negative for the light bar and the machine will not start. Must be something simple I’m missing.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

so I installed a new lightbar. I turn the key and flip the switch and the lights come on but the machine will not start. It does not crank or attempt to start just dead.

It is connected directly to the battery with a harness to cab switch.

If I disconnect the lights from the battery then the machine starts right up. Reconnect the positive and negative for the light bar and the machine will not start. Must be something simple I’m missing.

Thanks for your help

Are you putting the light bar connections on top of the main battery terminals or under them?

Technoguru

Technoguru

Lifetime Member
May 8, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are you putting the light bar connections on top of the main battery terminals or under them?
I’ve tried both same results. Acts as if battery is dead. The lights work but nothing else happens engine wise.
Then pull the lightbar cables. Then reset just the normal cables and it starts right up.

Technoguru

Technoguru

Lifetime Member
May 8, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’ve tried both same results. Acts as if battery is dead. Then pull then reset just the cables and it starts right up.
Are you using a relay of some sort?
kinda new to this so I think so. I have switch that I mounted to o dash. So I have a harness with what I believe is a relay small box that I have not mounted but is secured by the battery. There is an inline fuse from the battery connection to the lights as well.

H

HondaTech

Does your Pioneer start with the light bar hooked up but not turned on, or does that not matter?

Technoguru

Technoguru

Lifetime Member
May 8, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
814B853E A487 4684 A625 1DD068A651D2
Does your Pioneer start with the light bar hooked up but not turned on, or does that not matter?
No it doesn’t matter. As long as it’s connected it’s like it’s grounded out.

H

HondaTech

I've never seen anything like that before except a P1K that would shut off when you hit the winch out switch.

Customer had installed the winch and the terminal was touching ground and when power was applied the whole system was grounded.

What happens if you start the unit then touch the light bar harness to the battery?

Have you tried attaching the + wire to the starter solenoid hot terminal instead?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Is there any other wires involved?
Some light kits have a wire where you tap "key-on" power. Did this one?
And if so where did you connect it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
Technoguru

Technoguru

Lifetime Member
May 8, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've never seen anything like that before except a P1K that would shut off when you hit the winch out switch.

Customer had installed the winch and the terminal was touching ground and when power was applied the whole system was grounded.

What happens if you start the unit then touch the light bar harness to the battery?

Have you tried attaching the + wire to the starter solenoid hot terminal instead?
I have not done this but will try it to today and let you know what happens when I jus touch the cables to the battery

Not sure how to do the last part

Technoguru

Technoguru

Lifetime Member
May 8, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
Is there any other wires involved?
Some light kits have a wire where you tap "key-on" power. Did this one?
And if so where did you connect it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Th only other wires are to the switch and they are wired for a second set of cube light but I have that wire taped off nothing is attached and the wires are taped separately and are sealed off

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Th only other wires are to the switch and they are wired for a second set of cube light but I have that wire taped off nothing is attached and the wires are taped separately and are sealed off
Unplug all parts of the harness. That includes relay, and switch.
Start with just the light bar attached to harness.
Start the machine
Then touch positive and negative to battery. Light should be off due to parts unpluged. Machine should still run.
Turn off machine
Hook up pos and neg permanently then restart machine
Plug in relay
Plug in switch
Continue until all is hooked up

At what point in the sequence does the machine die?

My guess is there is either a bare wire grounding or your switch is wrong and grounding out. Post pics of swithch terminals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington and sharp
Technoguru

Technoguru

Lifetime Member
May 8, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
Start the machine
Then touch positive and negative to battery. Light should be off due to parts unpluged. Machine should still run.
Turn off machine
Plug in relay
Plug in switch

My guess is there is either a bare wire grounding or your switch is wrong and grounding out. Post pics of swithch terminals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks I will try that and let you know and post pics when I can really appreciate the help

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Do you own a multimeter? Check for continuity from frame ground to new wiring while they are disconnected from the battery. Black may or may not have continuity, red should not have continuity. If it does there is a short to ground.

Technoguru

Technoguru

Lifetime Member
May 8, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks I will try that and let you know and post pics when I can really appreciate the help
With the ma
Start the machine
Turn off machine
Plug in relay
Plug in switch

With the machine running I touch the wires to the post and lights come on and engine continues to run

Technoguru

Technoguru

Lifetime Member
May 8, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’m messing up this post haha

So with the machine running. I hope touch the negative and positive posts with the light wires and lights come on and engine continues to run

Technoguru

Technoguru

Lifetime Member
May 8, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
When I connect the wires to the battery and start it up there is a slight humming electrical sound and the machine will not start but the lights do work.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!