P700 New owner-have question

kgun74

kgun74

Sep 16, 2018
Pottsville Pa
Ownership

1. 700-2
Traded my goldwing in on 2018 700-2 seater to ride with my grandson. Don't have more than a few miles on it but this has been driving me nuts but don't want the dealer to think I am a pain in the butt....so I'll ask here-

as soon as it starts, it idles a little fast for a few seconds and runs smooth but after that it idles ok but seems a bit rough at idle,even at low speeds and when watching my grandson drive it you can see the exhaust system shake as he drives by slowly. Is this normal ? I know the new models in just about everything are running very lean due to govt standards that need to be met by manufacturer s but if this were a twin cyl I would think it had a dead miss, but its a single cyl and runs ok but seems very rough-is this normal for this model or do I have a problem ? The dealer test drove it before I loaded on my trailer to bring home and it was this way from the begining. Keep in mind, if I mash on the pedal, it takes off and runs well,its just at idle and slow speeds it seems a bit off.

I have had many motorcycles and had honda ATV's ( still Have one ) but never felt anything like this,so is it just leaned out that much or what ? But they are all older models.

And let me add, nice web site.

Thanks

Reactions: sharp
Irish_Mike

Irish_Mike

Aug 28, 2018
S. Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine is a bit rough at idle. It even causes the doors to rattle. Smoothes out when I give it a little gas, though.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was pretty much the same when I bought it in August as far as the idle in concerned. I’ve never watched my exhaust because I’m always driving :D. The 700 does have some vibration to it but I don’t think it’s bad. My 500 exhaust did shake a little at idle when I had it FYI. Mine is a 700-4 and makes some noises but nothing I’m concerned about. As you drive it more it should get better, I’ve noticed mine still idles rough every now and then but not all the time. I can smell gas when I’m riding mine sometimes as well, not sure what that’s about but I do know others have mentioned it. Your 700 is a great machine and you made a great choice, just ride it and enjoy.

kgun74

kgun74

Sep 16, 2018
Pottsville Pa
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, Ok then, seems like its more normal than I thought. Thanks for the replies. Mine is the 700 deluxe,looks like the same color as Irish Mikes in the pic he has-matt gray ?

Thanks again

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, Ok then, seems like its more normal than I thought. Thanks for the replies. Mine is the 700 deluxe,looks like the same color as Irish Mikes in the pic he has-matt gray ?

Thanks again
Update: My 700 exhaust does shake at idle FYI. Just checked

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Sounds about normal but I would put some stabilizer in the gas.

kgun74

kgun74

Sep 16, 2018
Pottsville Pa
Ownership

1. 700-2
I will do that,and also run star tron enzyme treatment,but its still new and running on the dealers full tank yet-as soon as I fill up from my stock it will be treated.

I have no idea what brand of fuel the dealer used or if he added anything to the fuel-so..I will wait till its empty and then fill it with my own blend. Same thing I run in my motorcycles.

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome from Central Arkansas....
Sounds fine...I don't notice a rough idle in mine, but a big single like the 700 is gonna "shake" a little. Make sure your running good gas with a stabilizer as others have said. Just check all the normal stuff, air filter, spark plug, ect. if it is bothering you. Give it a little time as well since it is so new. If all other things are working fine, and it is running fine..then just keep an eye on things till you get to 1st service time...

Reactions: Mudwing
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome from Central Arkansas....
Sounds fine...I don't notice a rough idle in mine, but a big single like the 700 is gonna "shake" a little. Make sure your running good gas with a stabilizer as others have said. Just check all the normal stuff, air filter, spark plug, ect. if it is bothering you. Give it a little time as well since it is so new. If all other things are working fine, and it is running fine..then just keep an eye on things till you get to 1st service time...
Same here agree with big single cylinder shake. I always buy the higher octane gas not the cheapest

Reactions: Deluxe700
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Also note that the single u joint on the rear shaft gives a cyclical wobble that's more noticeable at lower speeds.

Reactions: Deluxe700
E

enginecowl

Sep 2, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 700-4
Greetings Kgun,
I recently bought a '14 used. The top end was rebuilt by the dealership. It sounds very rough at idle as well. Even though we have only ridden in it twice it never stalled or died when pressing the accellerator. Maybe part of the problem with the engine shaking is that it's set on rubber motor mounts.

Irish_Mike

Irish_Mike

Aug 28, 2018
S. Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2

Thanks again
Yes, mine is an '18 Deluxe in matt gray.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome, coming from the F6 to the single cylinder is opposite end of the spectrum on smoothness. The 700 is rough at idle.

kgun74

kgun74

Sep 16, 2018
Pottsville Pa
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks again for the info. When I get the grandson to help,I'll try to video the exhaust system shake while he drives it.

But,for now I found this little white electrical connector in the right rear,don't know what it is or what it's for-anyone know? I will try to post a close up pic. The red/white wires are mine-used to power rear back up lights as I plan to get a plow, power angle-what are you guys using ? They come with their own lift system,no winch needed but they are 2500.xx.

DSC00235

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That connector is probably for a back up alarm harness.

kgun74

kgun74

Sep 16, 2018
Pottsville Pa
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wish I'd of known that before-perhaps could use it for the rear lights I already ran wire for them ,to a switch ?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!