P1000 New owner MUST DO mods

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
List your mods you have done that you consider 'must do' for new owners.

1. Heat shield material under seat to reduce heat buildup.
2. Bilge fans installed to reduce heat buildup under seat.
3. Snorkeling, extending vent lines up higher to prevent the water issue many members have experienced getting into the crankcase.
4. Roof
5. Windshield
6. Fender Flares
7. LED lightbar, backup lights.
8. Front bumper / winch, rear bumper
9. Lift kit
10. Extended tailgate cables to level tailgate

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
1 snorkel
2 roof
3 dual battery and circuit breaker
4 bussman fuse block
5 front light bar
6 backups
7 warn winch
8 heat fix
9 windshield
10 skid plates
11 a-arm protection
12 stereo

This would be my top 12 list in order for someone new. Some things are in front of others to set the rig up for following items.
Few of us will stop here though!

Last edited:
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's really nothing that you "must do". They are a great rig right off the truck. Make it your own to fit where you ride. To me in wisconsin a windshield is a must and a roof. But in Alabama I wouldn't have a full windshield ect . Good luck with the new ride!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congrats on your new ride!! My top 3 in order would be snorkel, winch, skid plate. They are prone to water ingestion, you're bound to get stuck sooner or later, and the stock skid is pathetically flimsy. If you hold it upright, it won't even support its own weight. It just slumps over.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Amre2me2 were you wanting members to do a list of what they thought was important or did I misinterpret this?

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: undertaker
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
@Amre2me2 were you wanting members to do a list of what they thought was important or did I misinterpret this?
Thats how I read it.
Plumbers right - you can take it as is and have fun but this is what I would do.

1) Tires and wheels before it leaves the dealer (to maximize trade value)
2) Snorkel - mine is directed under the hood behind the dash
3) Skids
4) Winch

I did a bunch more - and not in that order. But if I was to start over, I would do these first since I consider them to be safety / protection items.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@ghost that's a good idea about the wheels/tires! Also any item bought through the dealer on the vehicle at time of sale counts towards the rig if something happens to it, otherwise you only get a percentage so that's good to keep in mind.

Sent from iPhone

advertisement
D

Darby

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Keep in mind - Everyone is DIFFERENT... some stuff that I think is important, isn't what someone else is gonna want/need... just as what they do doesn't necessarily meet MY wants/needs... so I don't suspect my list will necessarily be Yours! (or anyone else's)... i will qualify it so You may know where i'm coming from.. I have a small farm/orchard.. and love to Hunt! so.. i need this rig to carry 100gallon sprayer w/4hp gas engine.. and needs to be able to run a 16' spray boom... then, other times it needs to go into rough country - lots of rocks... cross rivers.. for hunting...

that said..... For me - because it's for what I need/do....

1) Tough Country Bumper (has a reciever hitch up front- essential for my spray needs)
2) winch
3) 2" spring spacers in front to counter-act weight and help with next "need"
4) new/larger/tougher tires (went with 8 ply 28"x10" Roctanes
5) skid plates (went 1/2" Trail Armor) & A-Arm protection (I went S&S)
the rest i consider big "wants"... not "needs".. but i did/doing them anyway!
6) LED light bar front/back
7) Speaker(s) for music
8) Horn
9) 4 pt harness driver/passenger
10) phone & GPS mounts (wired in)

Love these rigs.. and this forum! Lots of ideas and help here... public shout out to Jackal for his willingness to help out people not nearly as astute as he (i.e. - ME) is on doing modifications!

D

Darby

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
oops... and oh yea... in process of doing a snorkel job on mine... don't know if it's truly necessary for where i'm going to use it... but feel it's one of those things that may be better "safe than sorry"...

DFWJ

DFWJ

Aug 27, 2016
DFW
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heat shield for sure.
extended vent line for gas tank and crankcase.

the heat was so bad, I had to run to walmart and buy a cheap windshield sun shade to cut up and put on the back side of the plastic between the seat bottom and the seat back during a recent trip to NW Arkansas. I had already put a shield under the seat bottom before our trip, but after a couple of hours on the trail the short plastic just below the seat back was hot to the touch...

Think I'll be adding a bilge fan soon as well.

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
CP and others. Yes, I think you understand what I was after. Especially the couple of mods that everyone needs to do like the heat shield/fan and snorkeling. Both mods are a 'must' in my view. But the other mods some of you have listed are also excellent suggestions and can sure help out some newcomers that may not even thought about.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you ride alone, winch would be first. Then a snorkel, top, tires/wheels/lift/a-arms, windshield of some sort, and the heat shield under the seat.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One more to add to the list would be to lower your floorboard. That way you can push the go pedal farther.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One more to add to the list would be to lower your floorboard. That way you can push the go pedal farther.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why not go all in? Drill/tap the head for a nitrous fogger and put a small dry shot on it. Or a spray plate in the air box (even easier) lol.

quickfish

quickfish

Sep 14, 2016
Kent, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1-Insurance! geico $295 a year
2-I live in Washington State and the heat under the seat sold the wife o the Honda over the completion
3-roof
4-winshield
5-winch
6-led lights
7-snokal
8-3/4'' horse stall mate cut to fit in bed to help with rattles/noise
9-real cup holder
tunes

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!