P1000m3 New Owners Read This!!! The day after I got my new P1000 home I removed the hood to familiarize mys

H

Herky

Dec 9, 2016
Duluth, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The day after receiving my new P1000-3 I removed the hood to familiarize myself with the machine. I found dried puddles of dirty water along with small puddles of clean standing water under the tool kit and other locations. I pulled the sub air cleaner, which was dry, and discovered little puddles of clean water under this sub filter. The water drops extended into the air intake pipe. I made a large cotton swab and ran it down the air intake pipe 3-4 ft. When I pulled it out part of the swab was dripping wet. A second dry swab came back very damp. My P1000 had been delivered to me with standing water in the air intake system, ready to be pulled into the engine with catastrophic results, as some P1000 owners have already learned.
I just sent Honda a letter about this and have discussed it with my dealer, so now we'll wait to hear what Honda has to say. The water came from either the point of assembly or my dealer, who knows? Water can also enter the sub filter compartment due to small puddle splashes. I recommended to Honda that they provide a Snorkel Fix and a Drain Plug installed at the low point of the air intake system, which is actually a water trap like the one in your kitchen sink. I strongly recommended a recall to attend to these. Anyway, don't run your P1000 until you run a swab (I ripped up a T-shirt for this.) from the sub air filter box to as far as you can push it down the pipe (I used coated, flexible wire.) to see if you can soak up any water. Not a bad idea to do this from time-to-time. Water being sucked into the engine immediately destroys the engine, and I've read that some dealers are refusing to warrant this, saying it's the owner's fault. It's certainly not in my case, and I suspect this is the same with other owners.
Herky

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The day after receiving my new P1000-3 I removed the hood to familiarize myself with the machine. I found dried puddles of dirty water along with small puddles of clean standing water under the tool kit and other locations. I pulled the sub air cleaner, which was dry, and discovered little puddles of clean water under this sub filter. The water drops extended into the air intake pipe. I made a large cotton swab and ran it down the air intake pipe 3-4 ft. When I pulled it out part of the swab was dripping wet. A second dry swab came back very damp. My P1000 had been delivered to me with standing water in the air intake system, ready to be pulled into the engine with catastrophic results, as some P1000 owners have already learned.
I just sent Honda a letter about this and have discussed it with my dealer, so now we'll wait to hear what Honda has to say. The water came from either the point of assembly or my dealer, who knows? Water can also enter the sub filter compartment due to small puddle splashes. I recommended to Honda that they provide a Snorkel Fix and a Drain Plug installed at the low point of the air intake system, which is actually a water trap like the one in your kitchen sink. I strongly recommended a recall to attend to these. Anyway, don't run your P1000 until you run a swab (I ripped up a T-shirt for this.) from the sub air filter box to as far as you can push it down the pipe (I used coated, flexible wire.) to see if you can soak up any water. Not a bad idea to do this from time-to-time. Water being sucked into the engine immediately destroys the engine, and I've read that some dealers are refusing to warrant this, saying it's the owner's fault. It's certainly not in my case, and I suspect this is the same with other owners.
Herky

Thanks for the great information. I'm on board with what you said here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: amc019 and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome @Herky! Interesting that you found water that far into the air intake. I wonder if the dealer got carried away washing it and didn't cover the intake. That is a must if it's being washed and the hood is off.

I would suggest testing how well the entire intake is sealed by choking it out. You'll know really quick how air tight it is. Also, check out all the information here on snorkeling. I consider it a must-do mod if you'll be riding in or around any type of water.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I hope you took lots of good pics to show your dealership

Reactions: AKRider
J

JTW

I've looked at this intake a 100 times and I still can't wrap my head around how water gets in the intake unless it's swamped or has a loose connection somewhere.

C

Cohutta

Jun 25, 2016
NWGA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've looked at this intake a 100 times and I still can't wrap my head around how water gets in the intake unless it's swamped or has a loose connection somewhere.

My clamps were loose from the factory.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Welcome @Herky! Interesting that you found water that far into the air intake. I wonder if the dealer got carried away washing it and didn't cover the intake. That is a must if it's being washed and the hood is off.
Or washed it with the engine running.

Reactions: AKRider and JTW
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
When it dies it should had suction on your hand after it dies if it don't have leaks

Reactions: AKRider and JTW
Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Herky
did you ever install a drain plug?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!