Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Hey guys, just picked up my new P500 last week. I've already put a Moose roof and some mirrors on it. My next addition will be tires and possibly wheels.

Can't decide between 25 or 26's. Mainly looking at the HTR Bear Claws, Bighorns, and the Dirt Tamers. I ride Windrock regualary, so plenty of muddy trail but also plenty of hard pack and asphalt. One of my main concerns is stabilty, since I will have my 7 yr old son with me on the trails. I definatly don't wanna tip over with him. I would like to use the factory wheels but would buy aftermarket wheels if it would provide a noticable difference in stability.

I've learned a lot from this site so far and look forward to joining in, in the future.

Eric

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Get 26" If you dont have a 50" width restriction where you ride I would get wider wheels.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, just picked up my new P500 last week. I've already put a Moose roof and some mirrors on it. My next addition will be tires and possibly wheels.

Can't decide between 25 or 26's. Mainly looking at the HTR Bear Claws, Bighorns, and the Dirt Tamers. I ride Windrock regualary, so plenty of muddy trail but also plenty of hard pack and asphalt. One of my main concerns is stabilty, since I will have my 7 yr old son with me on the trails. I definatly don't wanna tip over with him. I would like to use the factory wheels but would buy aftermarket wheels if it would provide a noticable difference in stability.

I've learned a lot from this site so far and look forward to joining in, in the future.

Eric
P500 - My 5
Here is my 500 I had. I ran 26" HTR's and loved them. The aftermarket wheels gave it a little wider stance to help offset the height difference as the HTR's ran tall/true. Tough tire. They are in the running to go on my 1000. But..... sooo many good choices out there for tires...

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500

Hey Eric....I recently bought new tires and went with 26's. I haven't noticed any issues with stability. I would recommend going with the 26's. Good luck.
Eric

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500

Eric
I was worried about stability when I first got my 500 but after I drove it a few 100 miles on the stock tires I thought it was fine. Then I put on 26s on 5+2 wheels and it got better. I put on 8ply roctanes but slashed a sidewall and replaced it with a bighorn. Bighorns ride better imo. Welcome and post some pics!

S

Sledge

Welcome, Sir!

I agonized over tires for a long time...ehart and I asked SO many tire questions, I'm surprised everyone put up with us.

We both ended up with 26" Kenda HTRs. We are both very happy with our choices.

50" is not important to him, so he went with wider wheels.

50" is critically important to me, so I stuck with stock wheels, and just went with 1" wider tires, front and back.

Someone recently surmised that the P5 was designed for 26" tires, but Honda put the 24"s on in fear of rollovers, or to hit a price point, or both.

That makes sense to me, especially given the recently reported fact that the speedometer is off with the 24"s, but SPOT-ON with 26"s!

Lotsa choices, but I am very happy with my 26x9s up front, and 26x11s behind. Widest point is 50.5".

You and your son are in for some big fun!

Joe

Reactions: ehart814 and webby
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Eric
Welcome here @Bad_bowtie. 26" Bighorns is my recommendation on stock wheels with the sway bar disconnected. Still, be careful and keep the youngster buckled up. The P5 is a tippy machine! Give us some pics when you can.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Thanks guys for all the replies and advice. Look forward to hitting the trails with it in a couple weeks. My wife recently bought a 2016 Honda Rancher 4x4 so I had to step up my game. I had an 05 Rancher 350ES 4x4 that I've had since it was new, so the SxS thing is new to me. Here's a few pics from when I brought it home.

0616161942 zpse2rfh6fg
0616161619 zps0wdavpni

I'm leaning toward the 26" Bighorn 2.0s on aftermarket wheels right now but will probably change my mind a dozen times before I order them.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks guys for all the replies and advice. Look forward to hitting the trails with it in a couple weeks. My wife recently bought a 2016 Honda Rancher 4x4 so I had to step up my game. I had an 05 Rancher 350ES 4x4 that I've had since it was new, so the SxS thing is new to me. Here's a few pics from when I brought it home.

View attachment 17672
View attachment 17673

I'm leaning toward the 26" Bighorn 2.0s on aftermarket wheels right now but will probably change my mind a dozen times before I order them.
Thanks for the pics. I remember when the Red Wasp was that clean and naked lol. Looks sharp in that garage. Will you ever be hauling it in the bed of your pickup?

advertisement
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Thanks for the pics. I remember when the Red Wasp was that clean and naked lol. Looks sharp in that garage. Will you ever be hauling it in the bed of your pickup?
No I've got a 5x8 and 5 1/2x10 that I use to haul it. I put my wife's Rancher in the bed.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 17672
View attachment 17673

Wow, I remember when mine was new...they look so naked.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No I've got a 5x8 and 5 1/2x10 that I use to haul it. I put my wife's Rancher in the bed.
Well then you needn't worry about keeping it under 52" wide I suppose.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 17672
View attachment 17673

Just an observation...your handle is Bad Bowtie, which is very cool, I'm a GM guy.
There's a Toyota in the driveway? o_O

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
I am not going to recommend a brand, you will get plenty of that.
I put 26's on mine. I am glad, I bottomed out really bad a lot with the stock 24's.
I ride in the mountains a lot, so I was scared to go with 27's, but I wanted to keep it narrow.
There are a lot of narrow trails where we go.

Reactions: Montecresto
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
25" would be good, 26" would be better. Honestly, the machine felt a bit tippy with the stock tires, and since going 26" it's still tippy but really doesn't seem any worse than before. Just be aware of it, and you will be fine with 26". I have the Kenda's and love them. Bighorns are awesome tires. I picked Kenda because of the lower price, and I would buy them again. Many good reports on the Ripsaws too. For all around good tires, the Kendas and Bighorns are tough to beat! My advice is do not delay the tire upgrade. It makes such a huge difference in capability and ride quality. If you don't need to worry about a couple inches of extra width, go with the 5+2 offset wheels. The little bit of extra width has never been a disadvantage for me.

Reactions: Sledge
S

Sledge

• 25" would be good, 26" would be better. Honestly, the machine felt a bit tippy with the stock tires, and since going 26" it's still tippy but really doesn't seem any worse than before. Just be aware of it, and you will be fine with 26". I have the Kenda's and love them. Bighorns are awesome tires. I picked Kenda because of the lower price, and I would buy them again. Many good reports on the Ripsaws too. For all around good tires, the Kendas and Bighorns are tough to beat! My advice is do not delay the tire upgrade. It makes such a huge difference in capability and ride quality. If you don't need to worry about a couple inches of extra width, go with the 5+2 offset wheels. The little bit of extra width has never been a disadvantage for me.
Agree 100%, ehart. Especially with the "don't delay" advice. It's just a different machine on good tires. I paid $400 for my Kendas, and recouped $100 selling my OEMs on Craigslist. $300 well-spent.

I actually feel more stable on the 26" Kendas, because I can trust them to stay where I put them. They make the machine 1" wider and 1" taller. Likely a push, I reckon.

On my recent Colorado vacation, I rode some deeply rutted trails, and quickly learned that I could stick the Kendas halfway up the steep wall of a rut and ride through level.

I wouldn't trust the cheesy OEM tires to do that.

I can also choose better lines with the extra ground clearance.

I love the P5, but there are a few things about it that frankly just piss me off. Honda knew better, and chose not to do better.

Garbage tires, failing to include the underhood storage box, the size, difficulty of installation, and inaccessibility of oil filter, and no glovebox are the ones that come to mind.

These are things that everyone needs/cares about, and should be addressed on the standard machine as delivered.

Grrrr...

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ehart814
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Just an observation...your handle is Bad Bowtie, which is very cool, I'm a GM guy.
There's a Toyota in the driveway? o_O
Good catch, that's been my screen name on forums for 15 years. I grew up a GM truck guy but have mostly converted to Toyota. 3 Toyota 4x4s in my driveway but we are putting together a 1981 Chevy with 350/sm465/np205 and 38.5x14.50 Swamper SXs for my wife.

Reactions: trigger
S

Sledge

"1981 Chevy with 350/sm465/np205 and 38.5x14.50 Swamper SXs for my wife"

George Thorogood comes to mind:

BububububuBAD...Bububad to the BONE!

Joe

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!