P500 New P500 problems

M

Morrelfinder

Mar 21, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Hey there! I just bought a 2018 p500 it has 3 miles on it,when it is in automatic it hesitates when I give it gas in first and second gear. It’s enough to jerk you back! I read about the engine actually training itself to the way you drive? Is this normal?Also- I had it in automatic and then it started to flash 1 and would not go out of first. Any thoughts anyone?

Reactions: Isaiah
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey there! I just bought a 2018 p500 it has 3 miles on it,when it is in automatic it hesitates when I give it gas in first and second gear. It’s enough to jerk you back! I read about the engine actually training itself to the way you drive? Is this normal?Also- I had it in automatic and then it started to flash 1 and would not go out of first. Any thoughts anyone?
Is the gas 2018? And no they're not smart enough to learn how you drive.

M

Morrelfinder

Mar 21, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
No I have added any gas , but that doesn’t explain the 1 code flashing on the display panel. It shifts fine in manual

B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Mine does the same thing in second. I just use manual all the time because it'll never shift beyond that. Mine shows a dash instead of a 2 in second gear though.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

M

Morrelfinder

Mar 21, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, when I give it more gas it seems to shift better but it’s only in 1st gear maybe 1-1/2 seconds?

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Several have done this when new. I've not learned why. May need to be driven more aggressively for a bit. Mine did it too. Shut it off, start over usually resets it. Mine hasn't done it for a while. Mine is an '18 as well.

Don't worry, your machine is fine; it won't mushroom on you (y'all see what I did there?).

Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
Mines an 18 and did it for the first couple hundred miles switched to synthetic everything and now it shifts buttery smooth and the gear clatter is not very noticeable

M

Morrelfinder

Mar 21, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Lol, Your a funny guy futzin! I heard they were finding them already in the ozarks( which is about 3 weeks early!) I think spring is coming early this year. I’m gonna change the oil over to synthetic and put some new gas in it and see what happens. Thx for all the reply’s,I’ll keep y’all posted💦+🌞=🍄‘s 😉

A

Avi8or

Nov 6, 2019
Mo
Ownership

1. 500
If the engine is cold, it will probably be worse. Once it warms up, it should go away. The computer cuts fuel at the shifts. When the motor is cold it can stumble a bit on the 1-2 shift. Every 500 I have been in does it.

Reactions: Arizona
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
If it jerks that bad, the clutch might need adjusting. Also, the Pioneer 500s don't have any ability to learn your driving habits, just the 1000 does that.

Reactions: Mudder
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I disliked the auto functions so much that I changed my electronics to 2016 stuff.

Reactions: trigger
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Adjust the clutch. Mine also displayed like yours when I went too much adjusting the clutch. Turn screw a LITTLE, test drive, repeat until you find the sweet spot.

B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have about 500km on mine and it still does not soft past 2 in auto. 2nd gear just shows a - instead of a number 2. Sometimes it just refuses to shift at all and had to be shut off and restarted. I've done the oil change to synthetic and adjusted the clutch half a dozen times. It's just not a well built machine I think and I'm pretty disappointed with it. You spend the extra bucks for a Honda, you expect it to work properly. They've sold the 500 for several years now and haven't addressed these problems, which the majority of machines have.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I have about 500km on mine and it still does not soft past 2 in auto. 2nd gear just shows a - instead of a number 2. Sometimes it just refuses to shift at all and had to be shut off and restarted. I've done the oil change to synthetic and adjusted the clutch half a dozen times. It's just not a well built machine I think and I'm pretty disappointed with it. You spend the extra bucks for a Honda, you expect it to work properly. They've sold the 500 for several years now and haven't addressed these problems, which the majority of machines have.

I had the engine die out on an over adjustment of the clutch, then slightly backed out to the sweet spot. I assume you had tried very slight turns of the screw and ensured it did not move when tightening the lock nut? Even in the sweet spot it is not smooth like a DCT transmission. It is the entry level model, more of a utility sxs, but what you describe is not the norm.

B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah I bought entry level because it fit in the back of my truck, but I wanted simple and reliable. With the number of these machines having these problems the fact that every dealers answer is " I haven't heard of that before" tells me that gunna is unwilling to address the problem.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!