New Pioneer 500 first week thoughts

A

Azbronco96

Feb 17, 2015
I just purchased a P500 to use for hunting, camping, and desert riding. No sand other than slow going through washes looking for critters.
So far I have about 200 miles on it and could not be more pleased. The oil change at 100 miles was easy enough. I will pick up some spare clips to keep on hand though.
My wife drove it through Box Canyon near Florence Az her first drive in it. She loves it as much as I do. It is comfortable and reasonably quiet. Top speed of about 40 which is stupid fast for most of the places I ride. In town it keeps up with traffic fine for the morning coffee run. I only ride streets posted 35 or less when in town.
I added a fender bag from my quad behind the driver seat to carry a windbreaker and gloves for those cold morning rides. I took a Quad Boss ATV trunk and mounted it on the back. My cooler fits perfectly in the middle and there is room for firewood and what not (critters) on the back. I have enough room to add a couple of Rotopax fuel packs to the sides for my trip to the Paiute Trail in Utah this September. It gets better mileage than my 2 stroke quad does, that's for sure. Haven't penciled it out but I am guessing high 20's for mpg.
I want back and forth between the Honda P500 or Polaris Ranger ETX for about the last 6 months. It came down to Honda reliability to swing the vote to Honda.
Hope this helps anyone looking for more information on the P500.

D

dogman

Feb 9, 2015
Welcome! I bought mine about a month ago. I will use it for hunting and trails in the CO mountains. I haven't gotten any riding in yet. Too much snow up there. I think this will be a great little machine for me. I don't care at all about going fast, I just want to go. And keep going. I'm spending my time customizing it to fit my needs. I'm building a top, windshield, back panel, bed, racks, and installing a winch and front and back LEDs. I did buy the cab cargo bag, but everything else I am making. Saves $$$, and I still get to play with it when I can't ride. The Polaris machines are nice, but reliability and actual engine braking made the P500 a better fit for me.

M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
How true! We went back & forth between the big 3 50" sxs for about 6 months. Honda was the only manufacture that cared about decent control. Not interested is 0-40 speed jut wanted a SAFE reliable sxs. Honda quality won! The IDE even feels safe enough to drive on the trail. Only a week old but it was a great decision. Waiting for our "dog box" so the bassets can come too!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Azbronco96 & @dogman thanks for sharing your experience with the P500.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the club!!

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Welcome! I, too, think that the engine braking is the most undersold aspect of the P500. I want to be able to CONTROL my rig in the mountains, not "point & pray" on ascents & descents. I outgrew my red, 1978 vintage "Stuntman" jacket years ago. Ha! (Burt Reynolds was the MAN, once, but even he got old.)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!