P500 New pioneer owner

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
I went with the 66" poly blade from KFI for the plow set up on my P520. I was a bit concerned that 66" would be too much for it to handle, or that I would be limited to just doing light snows with it. I was going back and forth between the 66" and the 60". Very glad I went with the 66". The P520 handles it fine. It took a bit of digging, but I found a local KFI dealer in my area (a motorcycle/ATV shop)

Since I have larger than stock tires tires (27"x9"), I needed to order a leveling kit. The kit I ordered will do either a 1" or 2" drop. I forget which drop I ended up using, but it worked perfectly. The whole system was simple to install.

I do have a tractor with a loader on the front and a snow blower I can put on the rear for the really heavy snows, but the P520 set up is much faster.

Plowing with P520

I run square-link diamond-pattern chains on my rear wheels (better lateral traction than the ladder style chains, square link is more aggressive than the links made of round wire, but not as aggressive as the studded diamond pattern - so a bit more pavement and garage floor friendly.) I throw a couple of bags of tube sand in the dump bed as a counter weight to the plow. We have a 1/4 mile long driveway with one steep section. Most of it is gravel, but the loop up near the house was recently paved. That paved section is why I went with the square link chains. Had it not been for the paved section, I probably would have gone with their V-bar pattern chains or perhaps their alloy studded pattern chains. I got mine from Bluejay Industrial. The site shows the square link chain, but when you click on it, it says "There is currently no content classified with this category." However, they do in fact sell these chains, you just have to contact them via phone or email, since the web site does not show them. (Bluejay has a sister company in Canada that sells the same chains: Wesco ATV chains page. Their site shows the full chain selection.)

Chains:
P520 with Chains

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I went with the 66" poly blade from KFI for the plow set up on my P520. I was a bit concerned that 66" would be too much for it to handle, or that I would be limited to just doing light snows with it. I was going back and forth between the 66" and the 60". Very glad I went with the 66". The P520 handles it fine.

Since I have 27"x9" tires, I needed to order a leveling kit. The kit I ordered will do either a 1" or 2" drop. I forget which drop I ended up using, but it worked perfectly. The whole system was simple to install.

I run square-link diamond-pattern chains on my rear wheels (better lateral traction than the ladder style chains, square link is more aggressive than the links made of round wire, but not as aggressive as the studded diamond pattern - so a bit more pavement and garage floor friendly.) I throw a couple of bags of tube sand in the dump bed as a counter weight to the plow.

I do have a tractor with a loader on the front and a snow blower I can put on the rear for the really heavy snows, but the P520 set up is much faster.

View attachment 439603

Chains:
View attachment 439604
I see what you mean by the diamond chain, lots of biting edges. We don't get much gradable snow here.

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
I see what you mean by the diamond chain, lots of biting edges. We don't get much gradable snow here.
I went through several iterations of chains on my tractor before engine up with the diamond pattern studded chains. They are the best for winter traction. I sometimes leave them on the tractor year round, since they provide much better traction when working in the woods: no slipping sideways on a side hill and getting stuck up against a tree.

I was concerned that if I spun the tires on the UTV, I might damage the pavement, so I went with the square link for the P520, since it's more pavement friendly.

Adams1122

Adams1122

Aug 4, 2024
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
I went with the 66" poly blade from KFI for the plow set up on my P520. I was a bit concerned that 66" would be too much for it to handle, or that I would be limited to just doing light snows with it. I was going back and forth between the 66" and the 60". Very glad I went with the 66". The P520 handles it fine. It took a bit of digging, but I found a local KFI dealer in my area (a motorcycle/ATV shop)

Since I have larger than stock tires tires (27"x9"), I needed to order a leveling kit. The kit I ordered will do either a 1" or 2" drop. I forget which drop I ended up using, but it worked perfectly. The whole system was simple to install.

View attachment 439603

I run square-link diamond-pattern chains on my rear wheels (better lateral traction than the ladder style chains, square link is more aggressive than the links made of round wire, but not as aggressive as the studded diamond pattern - so a bit more pavement and garage floor friendly.) I throw a couple of bags of tube sand in the dump bed as a counter weight to the plow. We have a 1/4 mile long driveway with one steep section. Most of it is gravel, but the loop up near the house was recently paved. That paved section is why I went with the square link chains. Had it not been for the paved section, I probably would have gone with their V-bar pattern chains or perhaps their alloy studded pattern chains. I got mine from Bluejay Industrial. The site shows the square link chain, but when you click on it, it says "There is currently no content classified with this category." However, they do in fact sell these chains, you just have to contact them via phone or email, since the web site does not show them. (Bluejay has a sister company in Canada that sells the same chains: Wesco ATV chains page. Their site shows the full chain selection.)

Chains:
View attachment 439604
Thanks for ALL of this information! I’m going to start digging into all this now. I appreciate it, your machine looks great!

Reactions: Smittyp
J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for ALL of this information! I’m going to start digging into all this now. I appreciate it, your machine looks great!
If you regularly get deep snows, the poly blade is 5" taller than their steel blade, yet weighs the same. Poly also supposedly has fewer issues with snow sticking to the blade.

Adams1122

Adams1122

Aug 4, 2024
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
If you regularly get deep snows, the poly blade is 5" taller than their steel blade, yet weighs the same. Poly also supposedly has fewer issues with snow sticking to the blade.
We can have pretty average winters here. But we can also get anywhere from 6-18 inches at a time. Poly seems like the way to go then from everything I’ve read!

Reactions: Smittyp
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Mississippi. Not much snow at all around here but someone who gets the white stuff can help you spend money!
#NTC

advertisement