New pioneer

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
Hello all, i brought home my 700 and only have about 30 miles seat time but thought i would give yall my views on it because i was reading these when i was deciding what to buy and found them helpful.These were my main issues i was concerned with

1 The fit and finish . It was great , just what i expected from a honda . I thought they should of had dustcaps on them but its a small thing no need to worry about .

2 Low range. I havent been riding in anything where i felt like i would need it yet ,Seems to be plenty of low end power ,but 1 day im sure i will and would like to have that option. Until then im fine with what it has

3 Underpowered. This is what i read everywhere i looked . I found that to be a falsehood and was pleasantly surprised with the power it has . I dont mean that this thing will be running through the mudbog with 30" tires spinning like crazy but it has more power than i was led to believe by some on the internet. In these days of big v twins, yes, the honda is considered underpowered, but coming from a rhino to the pioneer ,i felt the honda put the power to the ground better and i am happy with it

4 3 speed auto. What can i say i love it. Its nice to be cruising along the and tranny shifts into a higher gear and your RPMs drop unlike a cvt . This has got to be good for gas mileage and for the motor

5 rev limiter 45 mph top end. Ok i would like to be able to go faster if i needed to, but getting rid of the rev limiter doesnt seem like the the best answer.You may pick up a few MPH but at what cost to the motor? The motor was winding out pretty good when i hit the rev limiter. I would really like to see a 4th gear , this thing would roll on if it had one. I also think this gives people the underpowered impression which is not true .I wasnt running out of motor on the top end i was running out of gear

6 tilt sterring wheel. this would have been nice . Im a big guy and getting in and out would be much easier with it.

Overall i am as happy as a kid in a candy store . I really like this machine and i cant wait till i get home to ride it somemore.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum and the owners club! If you haven't had a chance to browse the forum yet we have amassed quite a bit of knowledge, tips , tricks whatever you want to call it. If you can't find an answer or just need help feel free to ask.

L

lviolette123

Jan 14, 2014
I log 3000 miles on my wheel a year. I now own a Pioneer 4 with 500 miles on it. Driving the Pioneer is like driving a old jeep strong arm steering a transmission that shifts hard . Ever try to work off a tail gate that doesn't lay flat also cv boot open to anything that wants to get them. Put four people in it and find out how under powered it is. Maybe next years model

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
lviolette123 said:
I log 3000 miles on my wheel a year. I now own a Pioneer 4 with 500 miles on it. Driving the Pioneer is like driving a old jeep strong arm steering a transmission that shifts hard . Ever try to work off a tail gate that doesn't lay flat also cv boot open to anything that wants to get them. Put four people in it and find out how under powered it is. Maybe next years model
The general consensus is that steering is very light, and that at worst, it is average.

My transmission shifts quite smoothly. The exceptions are when stopping, the 2nd to 1st can be a little jerky under closed or light throttle, and under heavy load on steep grades you get a bit of a jolt when downshifting under power. At the very worst, noticeable.

Tailgate could be fixed with some fabrication, but i suspect the aftermarket will deal with this soon enough. You got me on this one. Was kind of dumb, but I'm sure Honda had their reasons.

CV protection is no worse than any other SxS. I have yet to hear of anyone who has torn a boot.

I've carried 3 people with some gear at 7000 feet. Never failed to climb anything I've pointed it at when i was actually trying to climb, rather than setting it up to fail. It does feel at times like it may run out of power and stall, but once it gets down to a certain RPM, it just keeps chugging. Very torquey. 4 fat people at 10,000 feet would probably be all it could do...maybe, but if that's what you need, but something else. Not fast at all, but nobody expected it to be.

I would advise you to take it back to the dealer if you really think it's not performing well ( there is a known issue with the exhaust that causes power loss ), but looking at your posts here, its clear you just aren't happy with it, and you are now looking for excuses to hate it. I can be the same way, so judging from my past experience, i would advise you to just go ahead and trade it on whatever 90HP SxS you wanted to start with.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
DG Rider said:
lviolette123 said:
The general consensus is that steering is very light, and that at worst, it is average.

My transmission shifts quite smoothly. The exceptions are when stopping, the 2nd to 1st can be a little jerky under closed or light throttle, and under heavy load on steep grades you get a bit of a jolt when downshifting under power. At the very worst, noticeable.

Tailgate could be fixed with some fabrication, but i suspect the aftermarket will deal with this soon enough. You got me on this one. Was kind of dumb, but I'm sure Honda had their reasons.

CV protection is no worse than any other SxS. I have yet to hear of anyone who has torn a boot.

I've carried 3 people with some gear at 7000 feet. Never failed to climb anything I've pointed it at when i was actually trying to climb, rather than setting it up to fail. It does feel at times like it may run out of power and stall, but once it gets down to a certain RPM, it just keeps chugging. Very torquey. 4 fat people at 10,000 feet would probably be all it could do...maybe, but if that's what you need, but something else. Not fast at all, but nobody expected it to be.

I would advise you to take it back to the dealer if you really think it's not performing well ( there is a known issue with the exhaust that causes power loss ), but looking at your posts here, its clear you just aren't happy with it, and you are now looking for excuses to hate it. I can be the same way, so judging from my past experience, i would advise you to just go ahead and trade it on whatever 90HP SxS you wanted to start with.
Very well put. I absolutely love my p4. Can't wait for the mountain trails this summer. It's all in what you want. And have been very happy with my choice. It fits in my toy hauler and will be perfect for when ever I have a kid

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
lviolette123 said:

Each of your concerns / observations echo (to a much greater extent) what myself and others have expressed or experienced. However, what I've had to consider, and keep in proper perspective, is what are my realistic expectations and true needs of a SxS ? I've owned other SxS brands that cost a lot more and had much more power, but there was constant reliability issues that came along with the extra power. I too have found the tail gate not laying flat is a minor annoyance, but it's an annoyance that can be fixed with a little creativity. Every SxS will have its own Pluses and Minuses. When all things are considered, the 2014 Honda Pioneer (while far from perfect) is a great value for the money and does everything I realistically need in SxS. If a properly functioning Pioneer doesn't meet your realistic expectations of a SxS, you really should considering trading or selling it - just be sure you're not swapping one set of concerns for another. :D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!