sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I finally spent some time kinda crawling on and under it and I am less than impressed with the plastic skid plate. Mine actually doesn't fit well on one side so it bubbles down about another 1" and of course it does it right where an opening is, making it easy for something to snag it.

Looks like they could have put a nice storage compartment under the drivers seat. Just waisted space now. Would be cool if somebody came out with a auxiliary fuel tank in that location. Probably could add at least 2-3 gallons for extended rides.

At first i was like how the heck are guys getting water in the intake, but i started looking a little closer, and its basically sucking air from right behind the radiator, so anything going through the radiator is going in the intake. Pretty much anything that is splashed up behind the radiator can go in the intake. Looks easy enough to do something to fix that though. I think if they simply put the intake facing the rear vs the front would have solved a lot of issues. Ill probably route something up behind the dash.

I also noticed there is a lack of locations to add switches. Kinda disappointed cause there are a couple electrical things I would like to add someday, but I ill have to add a switch panel to do it and make it look right.

Oh one other thing. Some guys are saying heat off the engine makes the seat super warm. you cold easily ad some sort of fan under the middle seat the could act as a heater during the cold months (sucking air off the hot motor) and then revers the direction and blow air on the motor in the hot months. Not sure how well it would work, but couldn't hurt anything.

Other than that, looks pretty good. Im sure Ill enjoy it.
Get rid of the warning label and add the switches there. If you need more honda has one that fits in the dash compartment. You could get 20 or more switches to fit total. There is also a thread on here where dudes have put bilge fans under the seat that are reversible depending on the season. I hope this helps. Spend more time looking around on here and you will learn a lot of cool ideas.

Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
is there supposed to be toe out on these. If you look at the machine from the front, it looks like both front tires are toe out. I have been running around pretty hard (hope there isn't a real critical break in period), but I don't think I would have done anything to throw the alignment off.

Reactions: sharp
Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Get rid of the warning label and add the switches there. If you need more honda has one that fits in the dash compartment. You could get 20 or more switches to fit total. There is also a thread on here where dudes have put bilge fans under the seat that are reversible depending on the season. I hope this helps. Spend more time looking around on here and you will learn a lot of cool ideas.

I would like to leave the warning labels, because this will be used for my business as well. Looks much more professional when all the labels are still on. Plus who knows what idiot will be running it. Im actually going to add my own warning labels to it as well. Like "don't crash my SXS!) ;)

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would like to leave the warning labels, because this will be used for my business as well. Looks much more professional when all the labels are still on. Plus who knows what idiot will be running it. Im actually going to add my own warning labels to it as well. Like "don't crash my SXS!) ;)
Fully understandable. It's better to be safe than sorry in a sue happy nation.lol

Reactions: Tigermark
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
is there supposed to be toe out on these. If you look at the machine from the front, it looks like both front tires are toe out. I have been running around pretty hard (hope there isn't a real critical break in period), but I don't think I would have done anything to throw the alignment off.
Break in period is not too critical. The alignment sometimes is out of wack from the factory, and you will have to adjust it some.

Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I have been screwing around some out in the rain, and I think some sort of windshield is a must fairly soon. I also need to figure out a chainsaw mount, gun mount, and maybe even a fire extinguisher mount. I really like using the manual shift in low range. Otherwise I feel like it is just constantly shifting, and when I want to just hold a constant fairly slow speed, it keeps wanting to go to at least one gear higher than I want to be in. It would be nice if it would stay in manual mode when I go from reverse to low. I will have to look around to see if there is a computer change that can be done to do that. I noticed all the doors are rattling some too, I will have to study those out a little and see if they can be adjusted a little tighter. Other than that. I love this thing so far. Scratching my head how to haul it while pulling my travel trailer though. I guess some sort of bed rack will have to be in the works.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Door rattles are easily fixed with a couple wraps of electrical tape.

advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I have been screwing around some out in the rain, and I think some sort of windshield is a must fairly soon. I also need to figure out a chainsaw mount, gun mount, and maybe even a fire extinguisher mount. I really like using the manual shift in low range. Otherwise I feel like it is just constantly shifting, and when I want to just hold a constant fairly slow speed, it keeps wanting to go to at least one gear higher than I want to be in. It would be nice if it would stay in manual mode when I go from reverse to low. I will have to look around to see if there is a computer change that can be done to do that. I noticed all the doors are rattling some too, I will have to study those out a little and see if they can be adjusted a little tighter. Other than that. I love this thing so far. Scratching my head how to haul it while pulling my travel trailer though. I guess some sort of bed rack will have to be in the works.
It takes a few hundred miles for the computer to learn your driving style.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I finally spent some time kinda crawling on and under it and I am less than impressed with the plastic skid plate. Mine actually doesn't fit well on one side so it bubbles down about another 1" and of course it does it right where an opening is, making it easy for something to snag it.

Looks like they could have put a nice storage compartment under the drivers seat. Just waisted space now. Would be cool if somebody came out with a auxiliary fuel tank in that location. Probably could add at least 2-3 gallons for extended rides.

At first i was like how the heck are guys getting water in the intake, but i started looking a little closer, and its basically sucking air from right behind the radiator, so anything going through the radiator is going in the intake. Pretty much anything that is splashed up behind the radiator can go in the intake. Looks easy enough to do something to fix that though. I think if they simply put the intake facing the rear vs the front would have solved a lot of issues. Ill probably route something up behind the dash.

I also noticed there is a lack of locations to add switches. Kinda disappointed cause there are a couple electrical things I would like to add someday, but I ill have to add a switch panel to do it and make it look right.

Oh one other thing. Some guys are saying heat off the engine makes the seat super warm. you cold easily ad some sort of fan under the middle seat the could act as a heater during the cold months (sucking air off the hot motor) and then revers the direction and blow air on the motor in the hot months. Not sure how well it would work, but couldn't hurt anything.

Other than that, looks pretty good. Im sure Ill enjoy it.
Spend time and study this site, look through the builds and garage sections... Search for anything you dream of and you will learn a LOT. Well, at least I did and still do! If you can't find an answer after searching, post a question and people will respond! Mostly, have fun with it...

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum! Best thing you can do to avoid clutch trouble is not be a pansy with it (sorry but best way I can describe it lol). Don't halfway take off, give it throttle and go. If you lightly apply throttle and try to slip clutch for an easy takeoff, it's gonna burn em. Clicking you hear are solenoids as you suspected. Snorkel it or at least extend the intake. And lastly get a skid plate as suggested. That factory G-string won't protect you. You'll be shocked at how flimsy it is when/if you remove it. Have fun and enjoy! Oh and you're right about blower under seat. One 4" or like me a couple of 3" bilge blowers work fine. And they're easy to mount on that round support bar. I may have a pic somewhere I'll look on phone.

Reactions: sharp and Tigermark
J

Jerryy

Nov 15, 2016
Freedom, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Western Wyoming. I picked up my new 2016 1000-5 yesterday when there was a break in the weather. Drove thru 18" of snow parking my trailer with it and it performed fine. I later realized I did not have the differential lock engaged. Maybe I will see how it does in the additional 10" forecast in the next couple of days. I too was nervous about the clanging and banging. Hope your are right about it dissipating with further break-in. I had my dealer add horn, mirror two piece windshield and roof. My second battery and isolator kit, and a Denali plow and Viper winch are on order and should arrive later this week. I love all the great suggestions Forum members offer and the opportunity it provides to ensure there will be no money left in my accounts for an inheritance.:):)

C

caddyman

Hi guys, picked up a 2017 1000-5 today. I ran it around my place for about 30 minutes but it was cold and raining pretty hard so I called it quits. This thing is sweet. Rides much smoother and quieter than I anticipated. Anything I should know about it before I put some real time on it. I did try all the settings and is it normal to hear lots of kinda noisy clicking when in low range. I though a stick had gotten stuck under it, but nothing. It must have something to do with shifting because I switched it to manual and it went away. It could be it just shifting a lot. Behind my house is fairly steep and technical so it was lots of gas on gas off. I hope to get many years of enjoyment out of it!!

View attachment 28106
The '17 models are already out? Dealers i checked said sometime February or later. Have fun with your new ride. Will be ordering LE version next week.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi guys, picked up a 2016 1000-5 today. I ran it around my place for about 30 minutes but it was cold and raining pretty hard so I called it quits. This thing is sweet. Rides much smoother and quieter than I anticipated. Anything I should know about it before I put some real time on it. I did try all the settings and is it normal to hear lots of kinda noisy clicking when in low range. I though a stick had gotten stuck under it, but nothing. It must have something to do with shifting because I switched it to manual and it went away. It could be it just shifting a lot. Behind my house is fairly steep and technical so it was lots of gas on gas off. I hope to get many years of enjoyment out of it!!

View attachment 28106
Get rid of the OEM Vis Queen Honda skid plate NOW! I don't even know why they put them on. Iv'e got one if you want to double it up, you pay freight. I can just roll it up and send it to you. HA

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!