P1000m5 New Ride and New to Forum

Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi guys, picked up a 2016 1000-5 today. I ran it around my place for about 30 minutes but it was cold and raining pretty hard so I called it quits. This thing is sweet. Rides much smoother and quieter than I anticipated. Anything I should know about it before I put some real time on it. I did try all the settings and is it normal to hear lots of kinda noisy clicking when in low range. I though a stick had gotten stuck under it, but nothing. It must have something to do with shifting because I switched it to manual and it went away. It could be it just shifting a lot. Behind my house is fairly steep and technical so it was lots of gas on gas off. I hope to get many years of enjoyment out of it!!

IMG 3727

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Congrats, you need a real skid plate /a arm guards)first, if you don't already have them. The Vis Queen skid plate that comes stock is only good for deflecting mud.If you ride in rocks/logs. I never get mine out of the yard (HA). Next check tire pressure all the time, let it come up to operating temp. before riding.Tell us more about your rig. Have you named it yet? Happy trails

Reactions: cschomber63
cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
Congrats, you need a real skid plate /a arm guards)first, if you don't already have them. The Vis Queen skid plate that comes stock is only good for deflecting mud.If you ride in rocks/logs. I never get mine out of the yard (HA). Next check tire pressure all the time, let it come up to operating temp. before riding.Tell us more about your rig. Have you named it yet? Happy trails

Let us know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looks sharp!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Hmm, I haven't even crawled under it to even look at any of that stuff. I just had a new shop built and there are no lights yet, so I won't be able to really crawl all over it and learn about it till tomorrow. I am pretty impressed with how well it drove for just the little time I spent in it. It rides a whole lot nicer then the 07 teryx I drove for a day back when they first came out. This seemes to have good power, but of course I always feel like I want more. I seem to keep reading about the water in the intake. I will look at that tomorrow closely. Has any aftermarket company picked up the ball and fixed this issue? I am assuming this is a late 2016 production unit, are there any upgrades mid year? All my buddies have the sport rzr's and can ams, but I have kids and I was really turned on by the optional back seat, yet still be able to use it around the property and work. I doubt I will be doing much mud/water crossings. I am not much of a mud guy. I will be doing fast trail type stuff and dune riding though (have to try to keep up with the sport buddies)
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome aboard from SE Missouri!

Reactions: sharp
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Georgia!! This is an awesome forum just packed full of great information and people... Spend time browsing around, most of your initial questions and concerns have most likely been addressed!

Post more pictures...

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hmm, I haven't even crawled under it to even look at any of that stuff. I just had a new shop built and there are no lights yet, so I won't be able to really crawl all over it and learn about it till tomorrow. I am pretty impressed with how well it drove for just the little time I spent in it. It rides a whole lot nicer then the 07 teryx I drove for a day back when they first came out. Seemed to have good power, but of course I always feel like I want more. I seem to keep reading about the water in the intake. I will look at that tomorrow closely. Has any aftermarket company picked up the ball and fixed this issue? I am assuming this is a late 2016 production unit, are there any upgrades mid year? Thanks guys!
Unless you've been in deep water that shouldn't be happening. Call your Dealer. May be a lose ground?sensor wire.
You will need a snorkel kit along with a exhaust extension kit for deep water crossings. Been there done that, got the tee shirt, Not any more, very expensive, bearings eat.

advertisement
Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unless you've been in deep water that shouldn't be happening. Call your Dealer. May be a lose ground?sensor wire.
You will need a snorkel kit along with a exhaust extension kit for deep water crossings. Been there done that, got the tee shirt, Not any more, very expensive, bearings eat.

Hmm ill run it a little more tomorrow and see what it does. I only noticed it in low range. I swear it was just the sound of the shifting solenoids or somethings.

Anybody have a picture of a small light bar on the front bumper. There is no way I am going to pay the huge bucks for the honda bar.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmm ill run it a little more tomorrow and see what it does. I only noticed it in low range. I swear it was just the sound of the shifting solenoids or somethings.

Anybody have a picture of a small light bar on the front bumper. There is no way I am going to pay the huge bucks for the honda bar.
Shift click,clunk is normal on a new machine.I don't think there is any need for concern. As stated earlier it will get noticeably quieter after the first service. Look at some of the build threads and garages for light bar placement. I am running a 32" curved on my bumper. Around 50-60bucks on Amazon

Reactions: sharp and Smitty335
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Amazon will be your friend soon! You can get light bars for about a dollar per inch or $1.25 per inch.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Shift click,clunk is normal on a new machine.I don't think there is any need for concern. As stated earlier it will get noticeably quieter after the first service. Look at some of the build threads and garages for light bar placement. I am running a 32" curved on my bumper. Around 50-60bucks on Amazon
My clunk never went away, but my clutches did after first oil change. Honda put the same clutch assemblies as stock back in, but chamfered the oil relief valves, no more cluck, just a click now.

Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My clunk never went away, but my clutches did after first oil change. Honda put the same clutch assemblies as stock back in, but chamfered the oil relief valves, no more cluck, just a click now.

Well shoot, thats not very reassuring! I bought a honda for many many trouble free hours!!

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well shoot, thats not very reassuring! I bought a hands for many many trouble free hours!!
Mine is great now, I have never regretted buying the Honda. Dealer was great, took a week to get it back, but I think they got it right. Totally different transmission now. I'm pretty hard on stuff though.Busted a front tire already, needed a 2 inch butt plug to fix the leak. HAD to put skid plate and a arm protection on Rooster quick. Got scars to prove it. Happy Trails

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good night all

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from W.KY, lots of good folks here.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from SE Louisiana. The shifting noise will slowly disappear with the more miles you put.

Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I finally spent some time kinda crawling on and under it and I am less than impressed with the plastic skid plate. Mine actually doesn't fit well on one side so it bubbles down about another 1" and of course it does it right where an opening is, making it easy for something to snag it.

Looks like they could have put a nice storage compartment under the drivers seat. Just waisted space now. Would be cool if somebody came out with a auxiliary fuel tank in that location. Probably could add at least 2-3 gallons for extended rides.

At first i was like how the heck are guys getting water in the intake, but i started looking a little closer, and its basically sucking air from right behind the radiator, so anything going through the radiator is going in the intake. Pretty much anything that is splashed up behind the radiator can go in the intake. Looks easy enough to do something to fix that though. I think if they simply put the intake facing the rear vs the front would have solved a lot of issues. Ill probably route something up behind the dash.

I also noticed there is a lack of locations to add switches. Kinda disappointed cause there are a couple electrical things I would like to add someday, but I ill have to add a switch panel to do it and make it look right.

Oh one other thing. Some guys are saying heat off the engine makes the seat super warm. you cold easily ad some sort of fan under the middle seat the could act as a heater during the cold months (sucking air off the hot motor) and then revers the direction and blow air on the motor in the hot months. Not sure how well it would work, but couldn't hurt anything.

Other than that, looks pretty good. Im sure Ill enjoy it.

Reactions: Manwell and sharp
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!