New talon 1000x4 live wire owner. Water question.

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hi there! Excited to pick up my new rig this week (2021 1000x live wire). I live in Florida and have concerns about water intrusion. I ordered the S&B particular filter kit and was hoping that since I will be mounting the kit on the top of the roll bar I would have the added benefit of extra water intrusion protection? Basically the best of both worlds? Am I mistaken? Also are the 3rd party warranties better then factory? I was told by a dealership that Honda can be hard to work with especially when water is concerned and the 3rd party warranty just pays out? Any thoughts?thx

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi there! Excited to pick up my new rig this week (2021 1000x live wire). I live in Florida and have concerns about water intrusion. I ordered the S&B particular filter kit and was hoping that since I will be mounting the kit on the top of the roll bar I would have the added benefit of extra water intrusion protection? Basically the best of both worlds? Am I mistaken? Also are the 3rd party warranties better then factory? I was told by a dealership that Honda can be hard to work with especially when water is concerned and the 3rd party warranty just pays out? Any thoughts?thx
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool: You're going to love the Talon. 👍 The link in my sig has some basic Talon information and tips.

Your plans for the S&B will surely add to safer deep water capabilities, not sure about warranty coverage though.

Here's a Talon with the stock air intake doing krazie stuff in the mud - starts at 18 minutes - gets even worse at 25 minutes. :oops:

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
That video was pretty cool. That’s as deep as I would want it to go. So the S&B will raise the intake level greater then that and also get me the added protection in the dusty conditions? What is a fair price for a 3 year Honda extended warranty? Also who makes the best lower door inserts? Would like them to be easily removable as well?thx

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That video was pretty cool. That’s as deep as I would want it to go. So the S&B will raise the intake level greater then that and also get me the added protection in the dusty conditions? What is a fair price for a 3 year Honda extended warranty? Also who makes the best lower door inserts? Would like them to be easily removable as well?thx
Yep, the S&B will do what you want. No idea on warranty cost.

SuperATV makes a nice door lower, I had them on my first Talon. Some folks like the stock Honda lowers, others don't, your call. Note that the SATV doesn't seal the door, mine had ~3/8" gap around the edge. Even with an edge gasket, they aren't very water resistant, which doesn't matter, the drain holes in the floor will 'fill ya up' pretty quickly.

The issue I had with lowers - cab heat. Our radiators are up front, that heat will heat up the entire passenger 'bucket' in short order. I cut one of my last summer rides short because I was going hyperthermic (and I was over 8,000 feet up in the foothills - where it's cooler). My new Talon doesn't have lowers and probably won't be getting them, I've been riding in 30* temperatures in tennis shoes and still fairly comfortable.

Neither the Honda or SATV lowers are easily removeable, both require removing the door skins which are held in place by 9(?) self tapping screws into plastic posts in the door skin. When I was removing those screws to install the lowers, at least one screw came out with a curl of stripped plastic threads - from the factory. Repeated removal will strip those holes quickly.

If I decide on lowers again, I'll probably make my own - I'll fasten a piece of 1" or 3/4" angle alum to the bottom edge of the door permanently and cut my own lowers to bolt to that angle. That way I can remove them without removing the door skins.

What the SATV lowers look like and you can see how I can fasten the angle to the bottom edge of the door.
I 5jkjbwk L

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Welcome from South FL!!
I'm not too familiar with the talons but the pioneers also need vent lines extended, talons might also???
You're in Cocoa, the Groves are nice place to ride up there 👍

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hi there! Yes I plan on running the groves as soon as possible. Where are the stock diff vent lines located and does anybody make a kit for them? Also does anybody recommend a wheel tire combo and size for the mud? So nobody makes a easily removable lower door panel? Trying to keep the girls from being to exposed to the elements. Thanks for all the help you guys means a lot.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
So nobody makes a easily removable lower door panel? Trying to keep the girls from being to exposed to the elements. Thanks for all the help you guys means a lot.
EMP makes lower doors that can be installed/removed with 4 screws per door. I was looking at those until I decided that I don't think I need them. They have an installation video. I don't know how sturdy they would be. I don't think any of the lower doors are going to be sealed that well, like water proof. I just installed Rokblokz fender flares and flaps. They are pretty well regarded for keeping mud from being thrown into the interior and on the windshield, if you have one.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also need to look into diff and fuel tank vent line kit bayownbeer sells them on ebay and maybe on here easy to install I didn't realize how screwed up hondas vents where till I installed the kit.

Reactions: Blownzuki
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Bay
Hi there! Yes I plan on running the groves as soon as possible. Where are the stock diff vent lines located and does anybody make a kit for them? Also does anybody recommend a wheel tire combo and size for the mud? So nobody makes a easily removable lower door panel? Trying to keep the girls from being to exposed to the elements. Thanks for all the help you guys means a lot.
@Bayouownbeer is one of us, he'll be along in a minit. The link in my sig shows the gas tank vent and front diff vent locations. Don't forget the sub trans, I have no idea where it is. :oops:

Reactions: Bayouownbeer
advertisement
Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
How hard was is it to install those vents and where did you mount them? I am installing my S&B particular filter on the top position. Best all around tire for Florida trails? Trying to get this figured out.

Reactions: Bayouownbeer
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
How hard was is it to install those vents and where did you mount them? I am installing my S&B particular filter on the top position. Best all around tire for Florida trails? Trying to get this figured out.
I only extended my fuel tank vent because I was smelling fuel in the cab after pulling the OSHA inlet tube from the gas tank (it traps an air bubble preventing the last 1.3 gallons from going in) on steep downhills with a full tank. It's not too hard to extend the others, they're all fairly accessible.

I ride in the desert and mountains so water isn't an issue, others will have to suggest a good tire. 32" will rub 'some' on an X if I remember correctly without spacers and are the practical max for the Talon (obviously others have done it but....).

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Send me PM for 15% off these eBay prices with direct payment. This is the kit thousands of members have used. Includes everything needed to extend all 6 vents with black tubing. No sourcing out parts or multiple trips to the hardware.

Vent extension kit without filters recommended for 5 seater. Filters not needed your preference. Simple hour install. Great piece of mind knowing your covered. This includes first class USPS shipping. Instructions included.

With filters recommended for 3 seaters unless you drill three 1/4” holes to put the ends of the tubing into. If you don’t mud you can use the kit without filters and simply turn the ends down 90 degrees.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes
just posted link to my kits.

Reactions: CID
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe we spoke via eBay messaging. I posted the links. But shoot me a email for 15% off and no sales tax. [email protected]

Reactions: TripleB
Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks for all the help so far. Anybody have a really nice all around wheel tire combo they can recommend? Upgrades so far.
1) Honda winch kit
2) Honda switch panel with volt meter.
3) S&B particular filter
4) Rear view mirror
5) Honda front A-Arm guards
6) Honda stereo
Next upgrades.
1) Vent kit
2) 32” wheel tire combo
3) lower door panels (still need to find best product for that??)
4) Super Atv split Window
5) rear trailer hitch mount
6)Mcnasty radius rod brace
7) rear cage extender w-spare tire mount (any ideals?).
8) fire extinguisher and mount (any ideals?)
9) Rear trailing arm guards (any ideals?)
10) Side Mirrors
11) chassis skid plate (any Ideals)?
12) Hill billy brake
13) Shift gate
14) led light bar that will work with stock Honda roof panel and super atv split window (any ideals)?
15) Missing anything? This is for all around trail riding and mud.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Sorry I don’t do face book so I couldn’t see your links.

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Any suggestions on my upgrade list? Looking for some tips.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for all the help so far. Anybody have a really nice all around wheel tire combo they can recommend? Upgrades so far.
1) Honda winch kit
2) Honda switch panel with volt meter.
3) S&B particular filter
4) Rear view mirror
5) Honda front A-Arm guards
6) Honda stereo
Next upgrades.
1) Vent kit
2) 32” wheel tire combo
3) lower door panels (still need to find best product for that??)
4) Super Atv split Window
5) rear trailer hitch mount
6)Mcnasty radius rod brace
7) rear cage extender w-spare tire mount (any ideals?).
8) fire extinguisher and mount (any ideals?)
9) Rear trailing arm guards (any ideals?)
10) Side Mirrors
11) chassis skid plate (any Ideals)?
12) Hill billy brake
13) Shift gate
14) led light bar that will work with stock Honda roof panel and super atv split window (any ideals)?
15) Missing anything? This is for all around trail riding and mud.
3. SuperATV and McNasty are similar. I bought the SATV because McNasty was backordered. Like I mentioned above, lowers keep a lot of heat in the cab because of the front radiator and you live in Florida. Rokblokz fender flares will keep the mud from the front tires out if that's what you're after.
7. Although the Dirt Road Fabrications bed extender/spare carrier is pricey, it's also a very high quality.

9. I have the Trail Armor 1/2" full skid and trailing arm protectors, they're highly regarded. I 'think' Factory UTV is also well liked and Super ATV might also have 1/2" --> a vendor here and offers a discount.
11. See 9.

Trail Armor's photo of their skid and trailing arm brackets. I don't have the A-arm protectors.
I X8KSb35 M

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!