PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Looks good. I have no big issues with the stock one other than when I have to put it in low I need to slam it down. If not it grinds like I didn't get it all the way into gear. Is your low setting machined about 1/4" lower than the stock setting?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I actually maxed out the length of the low gear slot all the way to the end of the shifter sub frame. You can't go any further.

Slamming into low was one of the design features i wanted. Engangement is much more positive with the straight back motion than that awkward "hook" motion of OEM. Seems like right when you begin engaging Low is when you have to start the sideways motion and that makes for a "not so sure I'm in Low" shift.

Make sure you adjust your cable. My father-in-laws machine was out of adjustment by 1/2" and was terrible to get into low! I checked mine and it was out about 1/4". Once adjusted all gears shifted much better. Low will still give you a little growl but not all the time. I'm just very cautious when gassing on it after shifting into low!! Seems to be the nature of the transmission and no shifter plate will correct that. Acts just like the old ATC 3-wheelers with the sub transmissions back in the day. Reach down behind your shifting foot and move the little lever into low. It almost never just fell into place. Same growl as these Talons.

These shifter plates came about from our Talon experiences. I was not impressed with the OEM plastic. Shifting never felt "good" or smooth. My shifter plates are a vast improvement over the plastic. That's my opinion from using one. If i never sell one, me and father-in-law like them and will use them.

Reactions: CID and PhilCod
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I actually maxed out the length of the low gear slot all the way to the end of the shifter sub frame. You can't go any further.

Slamming into low was one of the design features i wanted. Engangement is much more positive with the straight back motion than that awkward "hook" motion of OEM. Seems like right when you begin engaging Low is when you have to start the sideways motion and that makes for a "not so sure I'm in Low" shift.

Make sure you adjust your cable. My father-in-laws machine was out of adjustment by 1/2" and was terrible to get into low! I checked mine and it was out about 1/4". Once adjusted all gears shifted much better. Low will still give you a little growl but not all the time. I'm just very cautious when gassing on it after shifting into low!! Seems to be the nature of the transmission and no shifter plate will correct that. Acts just like the old ATC 3-wheelers with the sub transmissions back in the day. Reach down behind your shifting foot and move the little lever into low. It almost never just fell into place. Same growl as these Talons.

These shifter plates came about from our Talon experiences. I was not impressed with the OEM plastic. Shifting never felt "good" or smooth. My shifter plates are a vast improvement over the plastic. That's my opinion from using one. If i never sell one, me and father-in-law like them and will use them.
Where’s the cable box located for adjustment on the X4 if you know?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
1F091A18 DFAD 4760 AE7F B6AB1C4980FF

Reactions: PhilCod
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I have a few black and unfinished plates with the first order that can ship now. No silver yet. More coming.

Yes, you have to remove the console for adjustment, also shifter knob for plate replacement. Takes about 15 minutes. I can do in less time now after so many times!

Order page link: Talon Shifter Plate

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Any concerns with the paint coming off? I'll send you a PM Thanks!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have a few black and unfinished plates with the first order that can ship now. No silver yet. More coming.

Yes, you have to remove the console for adjustment, also shifter knob for plate replacement. Takes about 15 minutes. I can do in less time now after so many times!

Order page link: Talon Shifter Plate
Ok, just ordered...

D

Dart44

Jun 12, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Dragon Fire racing has these for sale at $34.99 in silver and in black.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Saw it come in. I'll pack up an unfinished one for you after work today and ship it tomorrow.
Thank you!!
Sounds good, thank you......👍

D

Dart44

Jun 12, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Actually it is made of steel and it works quite well.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I’m not worried. I know that piece of hardware is just dressing for the plastic Honda piece. It doesn’t do anything so of course it works well. I researched all the talon options I could find to make sure I wasn’t copying anyone. Good parts will sell themselves. I have a CA Tech plate. It worked well but I had to shave some aluminum off the low gear to get a full engagement.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!