P500 New wheels and tires for my 520

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Edit: Didn't notice that there was a thread for Wheels and Tires, duh. lol. Oh well, it's here now.

I was going to wait until the original tires wore out and buy larger ones, but decided to take the plunge now and then sell the original wheels and tires while they are still new. I got steel rims with a 4+3 offset and Kenda Bear Claw HTR's, 27x11x12 and 27x9x12. Went for a short ride on snow covered rough trails at home after putting them on yesterday and noticed a fair difference in ride, seemed cushier and better planted. Will start playing around with suspension settings soon.
Here's some before and after pics.
IMG 3794

IMG 3801

IMG 3793

IMG 3800

Last edited:
Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
How do you like the 520 pushing snow?
I love it, I'm really impressed with how much snow this little guy pushes. You do need to be in 4 wheel drive though. I have a 60" plow but a 66" would be fine as well. And that was with the stock VeeRubber tires, now I'm anxiously awaiting more snow so I can plow with the new tires!

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I’m curious as to top speed with stock and with the new wheels and tires🧐
I went out with the stock wheels and tires and used two GPS speedometer apps on my iphone to see the speeds, (both read identical). Then did the same with the new ones.
With the stock 24's, on average, the GPS showed the speeds to be 3.5kph (2.2mph) slower than what the speedometer was showing.
with the new 27's, on average, the GPS showed the speeds to be 3.5kph (2.2mph) faster than what the speedometer was showing.
I did four runs up and down our paved road with each set, and ran at 30kph, 40kph, 50kph and 60kph, to come up with the average.
So an overall average of 7kph (4.3mph) difference.
To answer your question for top speed, stock wheels showed 57kph on GPS at 60, and 27's showed 63kph on GPS at 60, so 6kph (3.8mph) difference.

*Moderators, I forgot to multi quote, sorry abooot that, lol

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was going to wait until the original tires wore out and buy larger ones, but decided to take the plunge now and then sell the original wheels and tires while they are still new. I got steel rims with a 4+3 offset and Kenda Bear Claw HTR's, 27x11x12 and 27x9x12. Went for a short ride on snow covered rough trails at home after putting them on yesterday and noticed a fair difference in ride, seemed cushier and better planted. Will start playing around with suspension settings soon.
View attachment 251574

View attachment 251576

View attachment 251572

View attachment 251575
Dang those 520's look great, if they would have had a bed when I bought ours, we would have one now.

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Edit: Didn't notice that there was a thread for Wheels and Tires, duh. lol. Oh well, it's here now.

View attachment 251574

View attachment 251576

View attachment 251572

View attachment 251575
Do they rub at all? Do you think 28"s would fit?

Reactions: J80
advertisement
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520

View attachment 251574

View attachment 251576

View attachment 251572

View attachment 251575

Looks real good man!

I'm planning on getting the same setup you have - 27x9 HTRs on front and 27x11 HTRs on rear on 4+3 offset (planning on keeping stock tires/rims for 50" trails).

How do you like them after a few months? Do you feel fairly solid with the 4+3 and 27s? Also curious what your width dimensions are running this setup? I'm mostly concerned with power loss at higher elevations at this point, but I've got faith in the 520

Last edited:
Reactions: J80
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I went out with the stock wheels and tires and used two GPS speedometer apps on my iphone to see the speeds, (both read identical). Then did the same with the new ones.
With the stock 24's, on average, the GPS showed the speeds to be 3.5kph (2.2mph) slower than what the speedometer was showing.
with the new 27's, on average, the GPS showed the speeds to be 3.5kph (2.2mph) faster than what the speedometer was showing.
I did four runs up and down our paved road with each set, and ran at 30kph, 40kph, 50kph and 60kph, to come up with the average.
So an overall average of 7kph (4.3mph) difference.
To answer your question for top speed, stock wheels showed 57kph on GPS at 60, and 27's showed 63kph on GPS at 60, so 6kph (3.8mph) difference.

*Moderators, I forgot to multi quote, sorry abooot that, lol

Speedometer errors caused by different diameter tires is a percentage error, not an absolute speed error (mph).

If your tire circumference for example is 5% larger that what the speedometer is calibrated at the factory for a stock tire, your speedometer will display a consistent 5% lower speed than true speed- what a gps app displays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Looks real good man!

I'm planning on getting the same setup you have - 27x9 HTRs on front and 27x11 HTRs on rear on 4+3 offset (planning on keeping stock tires/rims for 50" trails).

How do you like them after a few months? Do you feel fairly solid with the 4+3 and 27s? Also curious what your width dimensions are running this setup? I'm mostly concerned with power loss at higher elevations at this point, but I've got faith in the 520
I ended up keeping the stock wheels and tires as I liked them better for plowing the snow, so just put the bigger ones back on a few rides ago. So far I really like them and the 520 feels well planted with this set up. Mostly dirt roads to the local trails and then all mud and water so far. The tires work very well in these conditions and the 520 ate up the mud holes like nothing. The width is 54".

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!