tigerj

tigerj

Nov 27, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi All,

Mechanically & Electrically Challenged here, opinions and guidance always desired:

Was gifted a 4500 KFI Stealth Winch for Christmas for my new 2020 P1K5D

1. Do I need/should I purchase second battery & if so what is the forum's preference for P1K5D battery?

2. For the rocker switch that comes w winch, do i need to buy a plate w prefab holes for it and future accessories (no plans other than reverse lights in near future)

3. Wiring harness included w winch on OG Battery or Honda or other wiring harness on second battery to winch?

4. Do you all approve of this winch?

5. I know ZERO about winching. Draws/Amps/Throttling/Clutch while winching etc.

We have serious mud down here but the old foreman was never an issue. This beauty may be due to weight.

CA593E00 CDF6 419B 83CE 860AA8013E20

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi All,

Mechanically & Electrically Challenged here, opinions and guidance always desired:

Was gifted a 4500 KFI Stealth Winch for Christmas for my new 2020 P1K5D

1. Do I need/should I purchase second battery & if so what is the forum's preference for P1K5D battery?

2. For the rocker switch that comes w winch, do i need to buy a plate w prefab holes for it and future accessories (no plans other than reverse lights in near future)

3. Wiring harness included w winch on OG Battery or Honda or other wiring harness on second battery to winch?

4. Do you all approve of this winch?

5. I know ZERO about winching. Draws/Amps/Throttling/Clutch while winching etc.

We have serious mud down here but the old foreman was never an issue. This beauty may be due to weight.

View attachment 173371
U don't have to have a 2nd battery. Especially if u ain't running a bunch of accessories. But if u do, go with this 1 because it works and it's cheap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MHNMJWK?tag=sxsweb24-20
I would just drill out rivets and remove warning plate in middle of dash. Cut a hole for rocker switch there. Then later if u want other switches u can order a switch plate to cover that whole spot.

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
U don't have to have a 2nd battery. Especially if u ain't running a bunch of accessories. But if u do, go with this 1 because it works and it's cheap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MHNMJWK?tag=sxsweb24-20
I would just drill out rivets and remove warning plate in middle of dash. Cut a hole for rocker switch there. Then later if u want other switches u can order a switch plate to cover that whole spot.

I agree with what TripleB said. I only have the single switch cut into the plate on my dash. If/when I need other switches I may upgrade to a manufactured panel. I did not go with the second battery either. apparently our transmission needs a strong 12v to work correctly so if you ever do a long winch session you need to keep the engine running and the revs up to replace those amps. Separately, I just put in my own warn winch and had 2 take aways. 1) the front bumper with my winch installed was a PITA to get all of the holes to line back up by myself. I ended up using clamps and ratchet straps. It was a pain and took way too long. It was not complicated it was just difficult to get the bolts back in the holes without stripping. 2) I ignored the honda pre wiring for the winch. I flew with just the instructions from Warn and it was pretty easy. Trying to use the honda instructions for the honda winch wiring kit was way to long and complicated. The honda instructions must have a 100 steps - way over engineered.

I saw some you tubes on the KFI winch install so I think you will have plenty of resource. Anyway, good luck- it will be nice to have.

steve

Reactions: tigerj and TripleB
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's been said the clutches need 12v to stay clamped. Stay off the throttle and let the winch do its job. If you need to throttle let the winch rest while doing so.

Throttle in (N) is ok as clutches are disengaged.

Problem is....
Too many people under a full load putting 150+ amps to the winch while trying to spin 30" swampers thought a 20ft mud hole.

As for your setup.
You will need to shorten your wires.
You will also need to find key-on power.
You can tap a wire or buy a wire harness.

P1000 - Key On Power, Illumination, and backup source! - Honda Pioneer 1000

KEY ON POWER Harness for Honda Pioneer 1000, 700, 500, and Talon 1000.

tigerj

tigerj

Nov 27, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with what TripleB said. I only have the single switch cut into the plate on my dash. If/when I need other switches I may upgrade to a manufactured panel. I did not go with the second battery either. apparently our transmission needs a strong 12v to work correctly so if you ever do a long winch session you need to keep the engine running and the revs up to replace those amps. Separately, I just put in my own warn winch and had 2 take aways. 1) the front bumper with my winch installed was a PITA to get all of the holes to line back up by myself. I ended up using clamps and ratchet straps. It was a pain and took way too long. It was not complicated it was just difficult to get the bolts back in the holes without stripping. 2) I ignored the honda pre wiring for the winch. I flew with just the instructions from Warn and it was pretty easy. Trying to use the honda instructions for the honda winch wiring kit was way to long and complicated. The honda instructions must have a 100 steps - way over engineered.

I saw some you tubes on the KFI winch install so I think you will have plenty of resource. Anyway, good luck- it will be nice to have.

steve
steve, i searched youtube for kfi plus the 1000 but didn't have any luck. any chance you can share some links or usernames?

sorry to just be seeing these responses, thank you!

tigerj

tigerj

Nov 27, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's been said the clutches need 12v to stay clamped. Stay off the throttle and let the winch do its job. If you need to throttle let the winch rest while doing so.

Throttle in (N) is ok as clutches are disengaged.

Problem is....
Too many people under a full load putting 150+ amps to the winch while trying to spin 30" swampers thought a 20ft mud hole.

As for your setup.
You will need to shorten your wires.
You will also need to find key-on power.
You can tap a wire or buy a wire harness.

P1000 - Key On Power, Illumination, and backup source! - Honda Pioneer 1000

KEY ON POWER Harness for Honda Pioneer 1000, 700, 500, and Talon 1000.
thank you! so i get both sides and am left a little confused.

should i give acceleration while winching?

i thought the clutch problem was older models or am i throttling to prevent amp drops?

any favorite volt meters?

looking into mystic's plates for dash! thanks.

plan:

winch short distance in N with no throttle.
if really stuck, let winch rest, hit the gas to charge, and then begin winching again.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All my opinion:
Your statement
- my reply.

should i give acceleration while winching?
- you can give throttle in N will help voltage to a point set RPM.
- I mostly mean in gear. A little may be ok. But hard back and forth on/off the clutches through a mud hole will cause them to heat up.

i thought the clutch problem was older models or am i throttling to prevent amp drops?
- yes mostly pre 2018. There has been a few later reports. But we never get the whole story from these users.
- yes, you can throttle in N to help voltage.

any favorite volt meters?
- not really. Just a waterproof one.

looking into mystic's plates for dash! thanks.
- good choice.

plan:

winch short distance in N with no throttle.
if really stuck, let winch rest, hit the gas to charge, and then begin winching again.
- a lot of winches have use time limits and cool off times in there operating procedures. Most dont read that part. Lol.

- key is to keep 12v to the clutch solenoids. Theory is if less they will not hold as much pressure. The clutch itself is actually a hydraulic type not electric.

- We really dont know the rear pre2018 clutch issue. Electric issue, oil pressure issue, or just not enough cooling. Honda seemed to fix it by changing oil passages so this kinda rules out electric.

Again. My opinion.

I installed a second battery for fear of going dead as I use alot of key-off accessory usage.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!