Newbie from NE AR

FastRedneck

FastRedneck

Mar 29, 2016
Cave City, AR
What's up fellas, just wanted to introduce myself and learn as much as I can about these rigs. I just picked up a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 this past weekend and so far I'm loving it. Just curious if there are any issues I should be on the watch for, any upgrades I should be making ASAP, or any FAQ details I should be aware of or avoid? This is my first SxS, with the last Honda I owned being a 1996 Fourtrax 300 that was indestructible. So it's been a long time since I've been on a quad of any kind and want to make sure this one will last me a long time. I plan on doing all my own maintenance, as well as making making a few upgrades like wheels and tires, winch, a few lights, and a couple of other small things as budget allows. I'm not a hardcore offroader, more of a casual trail rider that would rather watch other people break their stuff, so I don't think I'm going to be getting into the lifts, on board air compressors, and other crazy expensive gear. If anyone has any suggestions of things I need to address immediately, please let me know. Thanks guys, looking forward to being a member.
Tmp 25435 20160327 154148 1093077404
Tmp 25435 20160327 154128 1147396761

Reactions: Stauvo and sthomp54
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What's up fellas, just wanted to introduce myself and learn as much as I can about these rigs. I just picked up a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 this past weekend and so far I'm loving it. Just curious if there are any issues I should be on the watch for, any upgrades I should be making ASAP, or any FAQ details I should be aware of or avoid? This is my first SxS, with the last Honda I owned being a 1996 Fourtrax 300 that was indestructible. So it's been a long time since I've been on a quad of any kind and want to make sure this one will last me a long time. I plan on doing all my own maintenance, as well as making making a few upgrades like wheels and tires, winch, a few lights, and a couple of other small things as budget allows. I'm not a hardcore offroader, more of a casual trail rider that would rather watch other people break their stuff, so I don't think I'm going to be getting into the lifts, on board air compressors, and other crazy expensive gear. If anyone has any suggestions of things I need to address immediately, please let me know. Thanks guys, looking forward to being a member. View attachment 12701 View attachment 12702

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the best Honda SXS forum!

Sounds like you're on the right track with lights, winch, wheels and tires. Look around for other people that have added new tires to get an idea on what will fit. Most 28" tires will fit with out a lift if you plan on going bigger. I don't think the 28" Roctanes will fit as they run a little big.

Things to watch out for are weight ratings on your tires, deep water crossing will require you to add extra hose to the diffs, t-case, fuel tank. Something else to watch out for is clutch issues. There have been some reports of clutches that were improperly assembled and failing. Of coarse, Honda is taking care of those people.

Hang around and share your build with us. We love pictures and especially action shots.

Joe

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oh yeah, GO HOGS!! I'm from Russellville and now live in Alabama. I still have family in Russellville and Clarksville. My parents just moved to Alabama from Fayetteville.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome FastRedneck!
Yes you are at the right place indeed for all things Pioneer. :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!