P500 Newbie from Ohio looking for advice.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I must admit I was kinda a horsepower crazy American but I was so pleased with the P500 that I just don't see how you can go wrong with either the 16 or 17. I finally realized you don't have to go 70 on a four wheeler. Welcome and good luck with your decision but either way you will be very happy.

BTW, my wife got to where she didn't want to go on the back of the Can Am but she just loves the P5.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
J

JTW

Well, I bought a 17.. honestly, I like all the changes. EXCEPT for the seatbelt changes.. but it's a super easy fix. (I actually posted a thread about disconnecting it)
I find myself in auto more than manual.. however, if you're riding trails hard and in varying terrain you'll still use the paddles some.. For $1600 get the auto transmission. It will be much better resale if you don't like it or decide to upgrade. As some of the guys have said.. it's not too sporty but it's the best small all around machine that you can buy.. especially with the auto. Trust me, you'll like it!

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I bought a 17.. honestly, I like all the changes. EXCEPT for the seatbelt changes.. but it's a super easy fix. (I actually posted a thread about disconnecting it)
I find myself in auto more than manual.. however, if you're riding trails hard and in varying terrain you'll still use the paddles some.. For $1600 get the auto transmission. It will be much better resale if you don't like it or decide to upgrade. As some of the guys have said.. it's not too sporty but it's the best small all around machine that you can buy.. especially with the auto. Trust me, you'll like it!

Oh, come on JTW. How can we trust a guy who posted about a zillion times before he even owned a P5. ;)
Of course I have never owned anything with a automatic transmission. Never have never will.

J

JTW

Oh, come on JTW. How can we trust a guy who posted about a zillion times before he even owned a P5. ;)
Of course I have never owned anything with a automatic transmission. Never have never will.
Lmao!!! Not even a vehicle? I'm
Just saying, the option to choose is nice! And the majority of potential resale buyers will like it too!

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have never lost an RZR in the woods...on a wide fast trail or gravel road I let them go. But really if they are in low range they are not going to leave you, and the high lifters have even lower gearing so they crawl in low. I ride with a bunch of 1k 4 seaters (mini-vans), their long wheelbase helps in some situations, and obviously the width, but we tend to work hardcore obstacles most of the time so speed has never been a major thing here in southern Indiana trails, Going quick on tight trails is not a problem in the P5.

Dropping off of a 4 foot ledge however is not where the short wheelbase shines. I go around some of those and deep V uphill off camber trails.

J

JTW

I have never lost an RZR in the woods...on a wide fast trail or gravel road I let them go. But really if they are in low range they are not going to leave you, and the high lifters have even lower gearing so they crawl in low. I ride with a bunch of 1k 4 seaters (mini-vans), their long wheelbase helps in some situations, and obviously the width, but we tend to work hardcore obstacles most of the time so speed has never been a major thing here in southern Indiana trails, Going quick on tight trails is not a problem in the P5.

Dropping off of a 4 foot ledge however is not where the short wheelbase shines. I go around some of those and deep V uphill off camber trails.
How close are you to corydon?

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Lmao!!! Not even a vehicle? I'm
Just saying, the option to choose is nice! And the majority of potential resale buyers will like it too!
Nope not even a car. SuperDodge, the SLK, Jeep and my 44 Knuckle are manual. Do they even make automatic transmissions? Aren't they new fangled things that can give you problems. :)

Reactions: JTW
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well the $1500 saving would more than cover the oem shock upgrade. Might even try to get a set as part of the price negotiations. Other bolt-on options do not exist yet, but a few members are fitting/welding aftermarket stuff on their P500.

My wife loves riding in the P500. I much more prefer the "nagging" to go for a ride, vs another chore around the house. :) We mostly solo ride so, no worrys about trying to keep up.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I disagree
buyers of the p5..
..if they did there homework
ain't buying. To resale
where we ride...the paddle
shifting....is it.

Jason1234

Jason1234

Oct 18, 2015
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I disagree
buyers of the p5..
..if they did there homework
ain't buying. To resale
where we ride...the paddle
shifting....is it.

Agree, Forget about resale.... these off road veh depreciate. Keep capital cost low. Paddle shifting is where it's at!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: rocmar
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Nope not even a car. SuperDodge, the SLK, Jeep and my 44 Knuckle are manual. Do they even make automatic transmissions? Aren't they new fangled things that can give you problems. :)

I don't believe you on the Knuckle... :) Pics or it dint happen!

Reactions: rocmar
locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Upload 2016 10 29 10 27 46

mack63

mack63

Oct 28, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for all the advice. I just drove a '16 P500, it is a fun machine. I'm giving my Rancher a week or so to sell and then either way I'm buying the '16 in blue.

C

Chooglin

Thanks for all the advice. I just drove a '16 P500, it is a fun machine. I'm giving my Rancher a week or so to sell and then either way I'm buying the '16 in blue.
Good to hear your getting one , you will really be happy with it.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
That's great. You and the wife will love it.

Reactions: mack63

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!