P500 Newbie from Ohio looking for advice.

mack63

mack63

Oct 28, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well I went ahead with the new 2016. Started my accessorizing.
15032833 10207379647346283 5352980605501452459 n

J

Jshell3

Well I went ahead with the new 2016. Started my accessorizing. View attachment 25933
I see a roof. That's the hardest one I had to overcome, shelling out the money for... glad you got that done and out of the way. !!!
What's next?
And upload an avatar ... you'll be on this site for months and months... (Might as well get comfortable.)

P.s. Christmas is right around the corner!

Reactions: trigger and JTW
mack63

mack63

Oct 28, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I see a roof. That's the hardest one I had to overcome, shelling out the money for... glad you got that done and out of the way. !!!
What's next?
And upload an avatar ... you'll be on this site for months and months... (Might as well get comfortable.)

Yes the roof was mandatory, for looks alone. I ordered the back plastic window, front half windshield and the storage pouch. Tires, winch and skid plates are on the short list. This site is great and I'll be on here a lot.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Hello everyone. I have been reading the forum for the last few weeks trying to get info. on the P500. Im a long time atv, dirt bike and street bike rider looking for something different. I have always been an aggressive rider but at 53 I've started slowing things down. I currently own a '15 Rancher, a couple dirt bikes and a street bike.

My wife recently said she was interested in getting back into atv riding with me but at her age that makes me nervous. We decided a SxS made the most sense. I would still like to ride on 50" trail systems so that limits what we buy. I have always been a huge Honda fan so that again limits what I buy.

It sounds like the P500 might not be the best choice for spirited riding on tight trails but again I think I'm ready to slow things down. I still have dirt bikes for that also. A friend of mine does an annual ride in Idaho that I would like to do but I'm a little concerned about the low top speed in open areas.

Im looking at a '16 P500 vs a "17 P500. I know what changes have been made but what do you guys think about the upgrades on the '17? I have always manually shifted bikes and atv's so I think Im ok with not having auto. I had a Rincon and rarely used auto. My wife also knows how to shift. The front shock change would be nice but I can always go after market. I can get the '16 for around $1,500 less. What do you guys think?
I am just like you but 58, have street and dual sport bikes and atvs. Yes, slowing down and after a MC accident, just got a 2017 P 500 and very pleased. Paddle shift most of the time on trails, only use AT on faster flats. Would be happy with the Manual Transmission only if money was a concern. It is plenty of fun and speed for trails as 20 is pretty fast in the woods. Have Polaris 400 and wife has Rancher Mt/At and the Honda gears are so much better, especially for engine braking (see other post). Just like voting, it comes down to the best deal for your liking. Enjoy.

Reactions: 500oneer and mack63
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What's next?

It's expensive no doubt, but that dude is tough. I've caught that roof right where it turns down at the back on the side on trees going thru tight trails, numerous times, both sides, and when it hangs and then releases, the noise is unbelievable. The first few times it happened I stopped and jumped out to look, certain that it had snapped the corner off or tore it. But that thick heavy plastic is tough. I don't even get out and check anymore though it's a regular and often startling occurrence.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I am just like you but 58, have street and dual sport bikes and atvs. Yes, slowing down and after a MC accident, just got a 2017 P 500 and very pleased. Paddle shift most of the time on trails, only use AT on faster flats. Would be happy with the Manual Transmission only if money was a concern. It is plenty of fun and speed for trails as 20 is pretty fast in the woods. Have Polaris 400 and wife has Rancher Mt/At and the Honda gears are so much better, especially for engine braking (see other post). Just like voting, it comes down to the best deal for your liking. Enjoy.

Diggin' that avatar Mudder! :)

Reactions: JTW
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I live north of Akron. Have a p500 2015. Load it in the truck and go. Fits on tight trails and very capable. Paddle shifters fun. The only thing is the travel. Bottom out risk when riding hard. I used to have a 400ex sport quad. This is not sport. It's utility/sport. Very fun machine!!!

Mines and meadows... ANF ... Wayne national...bear creek... crow canyon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
'I,m from akron

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!