P1000 Newbie with possible clutch slippage

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After nearly 50 years of Jeeping, I purchased my first SxS, and just joined the forum, so go easy on the Newbie please... ;)

A week ago, I purchased a used 2016 P-1000-5, with 9500 miles on it. A few days later, the temp was perfect to join friends who also own a similar machine, for an approx 100 mile round-trip in our Sonoran AZ Desert, looking for water-falls, etc. Had a GREAT day... ;)

We took it out for the 2nd time this morning. After unloading from the trailer, and about 10 miles into a 20-30 mph run on a "smooth, then roughly-graded" road, which worsened as we continued climbing into the foothills of the Bradshaws, we slowed more frequently for rough spots, and after about dozen of these rougher spots, I began noticing a shudder during low-speed (1st gear at between 3-7 mph) re-launches, which quickly grew to a full blown low-RPM clutch/trans slippage resembling a CVT belt-driven machine where the engine reved to about 2000-2500 rpm, before the machine would move.

There were no warning lights illuminated, but sensing it almost had to be heat related, I shut it down for about an hour while we explored a nearby defunct mine. After an hour of sitting, on the first launch, it slipped badly again, so I shut it down again. After another 30 (or so) miutes, I tried launching it again, and this time it had NO large-scale slippage initially, but still displayed sporadic minor launch-shudder (still clutch slippage I assume).

In order to ensure minimal slippage while attempting to return to the trailer (nearly all down-hill), I made sure to have it in Low Range for the drive back to the trailer. After a 2 hour trailer ride home, it moves with no evidence of shudder/slippage.

Have been doing some searching the forum, and it appears from what I've seen thus far, that the outer clutch of the two-disc clutch is highly suspect as being minimally nearing the end of useful life, (or worse). Does this seem like a correct diagnosis to members here who may have experienced similar issues?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments on both diagnosis, and next, how to repair... ;)

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After nearly 50 years of Jeeping, I purchased my first SxS, and just joined the forum, so go easy on the Newbie please... ;)

A week ago, I purchased a used 2016 P-1000-5, with 9500 miles on it. A few days later, the temp was perfect to join friends who also own a similar machine, for an approx 100 mile round-trip in our Sonoran AZ Desert, looking for water-falls, etc. Had a GREAT day... ;)

We took it out for the 2nd time this morning. After unloading from the trailer, and about 10 miles into a 20-30 mph run on a "smooth, then roughly-graded" road, which worsened as we continued climbing into the foothills of the Bradshaws, we slowed more frequently for rough spots, and after about dozen of these rougher spots, I began noticing a shudder during low-speed (1st gear at between 3-7 mph) re-launches, which quickly grew to a full blown low-RPM clutch/trans slippage resembling a CVT belt-driven machine where the engine reved to about 2000-2500 rpm, before the machine would move.

There were no warning lights illuminated, but sensing it almost had to be heat related, I shut it down for about an hour while we explored a nearby defunct mine. After an hour of sitting, on the first launch, it slipped badly again, so I shut it down again. After another 30 (or so) miutes, I tried launching it again, and this time it had NO large-scale slippage initially, but still displayed sporadic minor launch-shudder (still clutch slippage I assume).

In order to ensure minimal slippage while attempting to return to the trailer (nearly all down-hill), I made sure to have it in Low Range for the drive back to the trailer. After a 2 hour trailer ride home, it moves with no evidence of shudder/slippage.

Have been doing some searching the forum, and it appears from what I've seen thus far, that the outer clutch of the two-disc clutch is highly suspect as being minimally nearing the end of useful life, (or worse). Does this seem like a correct diagnosis to members here who may have experienced similar issues?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments on both diagnosis, and next, how to repair... ;)
1st of all, welcome to the forum. I think this was covered a week ago. maybe has something to do with adjusting a cable...?

Reactions: ob1jeeper
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya that sounds like clutch slippage. It is a ‘16. You could check to see if you have the update, or simply bring it into the Honda dealer and have them install the updated cover if it’s not in. I think the free campaign ends in 2020 but not positive on month, get it in and have them run vin.

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya that sounds like clutch slippage. It is a ‘16. You could check to see if you have the update, or simply bring it into the Honda dealer and have them install the updated cover if it’s not in. I think the free campaign ends in 2020 but not positive on month, get it in and have them run vin.
Thanks... ;)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks... ;)
If it’s out it should be slipping mainly in between shifts at first, almost always odd gears. Also check fluids and make sure voltage is solid. Not sure if you’re running accessories but if too much amperage it’ll do the same thing.
If the updated clutch cover is in then it’ll cost you at the dealer. It sounds like you’ve got mechanical skills and if so save yourself a ton and do it yourself. Here’s a link to do it yourself.
P1000 - Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Replacement - A How To Guide!

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It should be slipping mainly in between shifts at first, almost always odd gears. Also check fluids and make sure voltage is solid. Not sure if you’re running accessories but if too much amperage it’ll do the same thing.
If the updated clutch cover is in then it’ll cost you at the dealer. It sounds like you’ve got mechanical skills and if so save yourself a ton and do it yourself. Here’s a link to do it yourself.
P1000 - Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Replacement - A How To Guide!

Thanks for the link... Just what I was looking for... I'm not an ace mechanic, but can do most "mechanical-type" repairs, and those that don't involve computer programing... LOL...

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Am learning as I go, and have discovered the problem I had been experiencing was apparently related to a "sketchy" positive battery connection. Removed and cleaned battery contacts, then re-assembled using dialectric compound.

Trans displayed ZERO issues today on a 45-50 mile drive through some relatively rough terrain. I am very lucky to have been graciously enlightened regarding the NEED for good battery connections, by the fellow I purchsed the P-1000-5 from... ;)

PS: Merry Christmas to all... ;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Am learning as I go, and have discovered the problem I had been experiencing was apparently related to a "sketchy" positive battery connection. removed and cleaned battery contacts, then re-assembled using dialectric compound.

Trans displayed ZERO issues today on a 45-50 mile drive through some relatively rough terrain. I am very lucky to have been graciously enlightened regarding the NEED for good battery connections, by the fellow I purchsed the P-1000-5 from... ;)
Good deal, low voltage it was! I’d still have your dealer check your vin and see if you have the update. Not only does it give longer life it’s also smoother

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good deal, low voltage it was! I’d still have your dealer check your vin and see if you have the update. Not only does it give longer life it’s also smoother

Thanks for the help & replies to my "worried" questions . The update has been performed, as confirmed by a visual check of the housing shown on your thread regarding clutch replacement... ;) Thanks again...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!