P700 No display, no spark-no start-Solved!

M

Mh4262

Mar 20, 2016
Arkansas
Need some help. Just picked up a 2014 Honda 700-2. The starter always turns the motor every time. It doesn’t start (Fire)constantly. And I’ve noticed when cranking if the display goes away, it won’t start. But if the display stays lit like it normally should When cranking it will start every time. Sometimes it will start fine 10 times in a row, and then the next 3 or 4 times won’t start and that always happens when the display isn’t on. I purchased a new battery. And along when the display is out while cranking there is no spark at the spark plug. I checked all fuses and they were good. Checked ground wire. All other wires look good. Any ideas?

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would ck power wires seems to me something is robbing all the power. a short to ground or a main power wire rubbed through and turning green not allowing enough amps through.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Obviously something electrical. Sounds like it's cranking fine.
Try swapping some relays.
There is a free service manual download on here somewhere. Also out in the interwebs. You'll want the wiring diagram if it goes deeper.

M

Mh4262

Mar 20, 2016
Arkansas
I kinda was thinking the same thing....a bad ground or wire somewhere that’s causing this. Swapped all the relays still doing same thing. All wires look good, but I know I can’t see prob half the wires on this thing. I’ll check out the service manual and see if I can make any progress.

M

Mh4262

Mar 20, 2016
Arkansas
Checked the ignition wires. Red with white stripe is hot 12v when key is turned to the on position. When you turn to the start position ( motor cranking) this wire will sometimes have 12v and when it does everything starts fine. When this wire doesn’t have voltage when your cranking the motor the display is out and there is no spark. So could this be the problem? Bad ignition switch?

Reactions: Mudwing
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would try that switch sounds to me like its bad

M

Mh4262

Mar 20, 2016
Arkansas
F9777720 CCF4 4337 A09C B483E90DB151

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure your not dropping the b+ supply to the switch, if it has constant supply but no output to the key on side its the switch. The starter and the key on are 2 different outputs of the switch prob why it cranks but nothing else powers up.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The key on position should energize all the relays to turn on the ecm, dash, etc,etc. I'm trying to make as much sense as possible. Lol

M

Mh4262

Mar 20, 2016
Arkansas
It is so random. I started it 4 or 5 times every day this week and didn’t have one problem....until today. And It has always started but it may take 2 try’s with turning the key or it may take 15 or 20. And I don’t want to take a chance of being out on a trail and then it won’t start. Which would be my luck. The red w/white always has 12v when you turn the key....the displays runs through its stuff and the fuel pump kicks on etc....the issue i noticed today is from the on position to the start or crank position the red w/white wire sometimes looses voltage when cranking. This coincides with the no spark and no display. I also checked the fi fuse which I’m guessing is the fuel injection and there is no voltage there either when the display is out while cranking. So what I’m thinking the problem is the switch. I have a constant 12v on the solid red wire. And when I turn the key to on it sends voltage to the red w/white wire which in turn powers the ecm and everything else....but when you crank the motor that red w/white wire sometimes looses voltage thus not powering anything. Luckily my neighbor has the same Honda 700 so I may just start swapping parts until I can figure it out. But I’m going to start with the ignition.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is so random. I started it 4 or 5 times every day this week and didn’t have one problem....until today. And It has always started but it may take 2 try’s with turning the key or it may take 15 or 20. And I don’t want to take a chance of being out on a trail and then it won’t start. Which would be my luck. The red w/white always has 12v when you turn the key....the displays runs through its stuff and the fuel pump kicks on etc....the issue i noticed today is from the on position to the start or crank position the red w/white wire sometimes looses voltage when cranking. This coincides with the no spark and no display. I also checked the fi fuse which I’m guessing is the fuel injection and there is no voltage there either when the display is out while cranking. So what I’m thinking the problem is the switch. I have a constant 12v on the solid red wire. And when I turn the key to on it sends voltage to the red w/white wire which in turn powers the ecm and everything else....but when you crank the motor that red w/white wire sometimes looses voltage thus not powering anything. Luckily my neighbor has the same Honda 700 so I may just start swapping parts until I can figure it out. But I’m going to start with the ignition.
It sounds like the switch is bad thats what I would try first

Reactions: wrhii and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!