P700 no signal to fuel injector

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hi sent a message to the wrong place a minute ago .so here goes long story short ..my 2009 big red quit on me a few days ago ...found good spark ..good fuel pressure, sounds normal cranking, but wont fire up ...if i spray gas into the throttle body she fires up for a second...so hence ,no fuel coming out the injector( I think) put a noid light on the connector wire ..saw no flashing power light ...however did confirm 12 v to one wire cpk was changed a while back by honda the recall.....do these get a ground signal to complete the injector spray?....or?.....next step is the pull injector and confirm no fuel cranking...any help would be nice Theresa

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi sent a message to the wrong place a minute ago .so here goes long story short ..my 2009 big red quit on me a few days ago ...found good spark ..good fuel pressure, sounds normal cranking, but wont fire up ...if i spray gas into the throttle body she fires up for a second...so hence ,no fuel coming out the injector( I think) put a noid light on the connector wire ..saw no flashing power light ...however did confirm 12 v to one wire cpk was changed a while back by honda the recall.....do these get a ground signal to complete the injector spray?....or?.....next step is the pull injector and confirm no fuel cranking...any help would be nice Theresa
Usually the injector is grounded to fire it.
Check: All the wiring to the injector and CKP sensor.
Also: There may be a "system" or "FI" relay and or fuses. Check them.

Do you have a factory service manual? This would be like flying blind to try and figure out without one. You may even find one on the internet to be downloaded for free.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Disregard my injector firing comment. I looked at the 700 Pioneers wiring diagram, and it does indeed look like they are fired from the power side, so the big red almost certainly is as well.

Reactions: swsebek
onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Disregard my injector firing comment. I looked at the 700 Pioneers wiring diagram, and it does indeed look like they are fired from the power side, so the big red almost certainly is as well.
.Thank you ...could the crank sensor do the fire?...just a thought ..going to do a ohms test asap . big red is in az i work in cali

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
.Thank you ...could the crank sensor do the fire?...just a thought ..going to do a ohms test asap . big red is in az i work in cali
Yes. The ECM uses the signal from the CKP to know when to fire the injector (and the plug, for that matter). You should also hear the fuel pump start running again while cranking, though that might be tough over the sound of the starter.

BUT...that fact that it runs while spraying fuel in it means the CKP/Spark event is working. I Should have pointed that out earlier.

Reactions: Maxvolin
onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Thank you very helpful...the only thing that threw my off was the fact that when i put my noid, test light on ii it never showed a light ..but there is power to one wire...and thinking it gets a ground signal to fire it ....do you think its a steady spray or pulsing like bosch injection?....T......

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you very helpful...the only thing that threw my off was the fact that when i put my noid, test light on ii it never showed a light ..but there is power to one wire...and thinking it gets a ground signal to fire it ....do you think its a steady spray or pulsing like bosch injection?....T......
Its a pulse, though at higher RPM it may look like a constant spray.

How did you find power to the injector? Test light hooked to ground?

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Its a pulse, though at higher RPM it may look like a constant spray.

How did you find power to the injector? Test light hooked to ground?
. Yes simple test probe light.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK...ok....my next advice is to stop listening to me!!!

Forgive me...its been a while since i've done electrical troubleshooting, so i am rusty. BUT, going back and looking at the 700 Pioneers diagram, what i thought was a ground was actually a power side splice (leading to a few sensors, etc), and BOTH injector wires lead back to the ECM, so it most likely does fire by grounding, as my original instincts told me.
I wish that BR manual had better pics to see wire colors.

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
HI DG .........been away from the big red for a while ...got fed up.actually live 200 miles away... the guy that sold it to me 2 weeks ago says it always ran ...maybe but .....I got 1 mile down the road. from forking out thousands in cash. and barley made it to my place ..I trusted my fellow american ...now back to it ....the fact that the plug fires while cranking ....does that mean the ckp is perfect?...maybe a secondary signal for the injector?....Thanks Theresa....

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
HI DG .........been away from the big red for a while ...got fed up.actually live 200 miles away... the guy that sold it to me 2 weeks ago says it always ran ...maybe but .....I got 1 mile down the road. from forking out thousands in cash. and barley made it to my place ..I trusted my fellow american ...now back to it ....the fact that the plug fires while cranking ....does that mean the ckp is perfect?...maybe a secondary signal for the injector?....Thanks Theresa....
To me the fact that it ran while you supply fuel tells me that the ckp is okay.

You said you had power to one side of the injector, correct? The next step to me would be to check continuity from the other side of the injector... The ground side, back to the PGM fi connector ( the computer). That service manual may have the PIN numbers for this somewhere in it.
Look in the trouble codes section for injector codes and tests.
And speaking of DTC's, is your check engine light staying on while cranking or flashing? That code might be a good clue as to what's going on. The manual should tell you how to pull those as well.

In the meantime let's get somebody who works on these daily involved here:
@HondaTech , you got anything?

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Hi Theresa, I'll echo much of what DG has written above.

I have the Pioneer 700 wiring diagram, not the Big Red diagram, and the fuel injector and ignition coil both get the same positive voltage signal. The negative for each is provided through the PCM, which cycles them both, as per DG Rider, so the CKP must be fine.

The two wires on the injector, on the P700, are red/black (+12v when the key is turned on) and green/white, which goes directly to the PCM for switching. If the wire colours are the same, maybe the PCM is the same? This is way out there, but the green/white wire goes from the injector connector directly to B33 on the PCM.

To me is looks like the green/white wire is broken... or the PCM isn't switching it.

Just so I'm clear, your noid light is not flashing when hooked to the injector connector and the engine is cranking?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If noid light isn't lighting, try reversing it in the connector.
I haven't used one in a bit, and I don't remember if they are polarity sensitive.

Reactions: Mudwing
onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red

I have the Pioneer 700 wiring diagram, not the Big Red diagram, and the fuel injector and ignition coil both get the same positive voltage signal. The negative for each is provided through the PCM, which cycles them both, as per DG Rider, so the CKP must be fine.

The two wires on the injector, on the P700, are red/black (+12v when the key is turned on) and green/white, which goes directly to the PCM for switching. If the wire colours are the same, maybe the PCM is the same? This is way out there, but the green/white wire goes from the injector connector directly to B33 on the PCM.

To me is looks like the green/white wire is broken... or the PCM isn't switching it.

Just so I'm clear, your noid light is not flashing when hooked to the injector connector and the engine is cranking?
Hi yes no flashing ...but power to one wire,red thank you sounds good, ill trace the grn wire back to the pcm....tht will be maybe fri or sat, have to work till then ..Theresa ps Bendix Magnetos still use points and condenser ,and rarely fail ...love that technology

Reactions: 70Bones and Mudwing
onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red

Thank you for the reply .....will trace an open in the green wire asap Theresa..PS...noid light not flashing

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Hi yes no flashing ...but power to one wire,red thank you sounds good, ill trace the grn wire back to the pcm....tht will be maybe fri or sat, have to work till then ..Theresa ps Bendix Magnetos still use points and condenser ,and rarely fail ...love that technology
lol, yup, the magnetos, points and condensers did the job for many years. Hope they're not still in service in those airplanes!!! :)

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
lol, yup, the magnetos, points and condensers did the job for many years. Hope they're not still in service in those airplanes!!! :)
Hi .. yes,, Cessna, piper, mooney etc still use points ...slick mags also ...so easy and reliable....T

Reactions: 70Bones
onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
If noid light isn't lighting, try reversing it in the connector.
I haven't used one in a bit, and I don't remember if they are polarity sensitive.
Hi ill try that ...Thanks T

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!