P700 no signal to fuel injector

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Did you get a chance to work on the Big Red? Any luck?
HI Bones ...yes... made a trip to drop of my kitchen bar table.. and spend time searching out the Big Red....well you wont believe it ...all components..checked out...within range being voltage or resistence....stator, injector tps map etc...all were good...last resort before replacimg the PGM....I was messing with the shifter..it looked odd not being lined up with the detents perfectly....so I adjusted it just for giggles ...guess what the signal came back to the injector.....turned the key and presto ..started...even though it would crank halfway between gears and get spark...the ground to the injector is interrupted...Is that Crazy .....closer look at the neutal safety switch shows it going to the ecm..it must be Hondas way to prohibit starting..no Fuel....wow ...Happy Camper now...thanks for all the help to everyone ...T

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
HI Bones ...yes... made a trip to drop of my kitchen bar table.. and spend time searching out the Big Red....well you wont believe it ...all components..checked out...within range being voltage or resistence....stator, injector tps map etc...all were good...last resort before replacimg the PGM....I was messing with the shifter..it looked odd not being lined up with the detents perfectly....so I adjusted it just for giggles ...guess what the signal came back to the injector.....turned the key and presto ..started...even though it would crank halfway between gears and get spark...the ground to the injector is interrupted...Is that Crazy .....closer look at the neutal safety switch shows it going to the ecm..it must be Hondas way to prohibit starting..no Fuel....wow ...Happy Camper now...thanks for all the help to everyone ...T
Old Honda ATVs had a 3 position kill switch on the bar(2 off, with run in the middle). Thing is, in the 2 off positions, it would still crank over. Can't tell you how many people tore into machines thinking something was wrong because it was cranking, but not running, only to figure out it was just switched off. I think there is a closet nutjob at Honda who likes driving people insane.

Glad you got it.

PS: The pioneers will start in gear, but you have to press the brake .Wonder if the BR is the same?

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Glad you got it running without spending hard earned cash!!! And thanks for telling us the issue, we'll tuck that away as a suggestion for the next time someone has similar symptoms!

Reactions: Mudwing
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Old Honda ATVs had a 3 position kill switch on the bar(2 off, with run in the middle). Thing is, in the 2 off positions, it would still crank over. Can't tell you how many people tore into machines thinking something was wrong because it was cranking, but not running, only to figure out it was just switched off. I think there is a closet nutjob at Honda who likes driving people insane.

That would be the same nutjob who insisted on adding the reverse lever... or was that a lawyer...

Reactions: Mudwing
onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
To me the fact that it ran while you supply fuel tells me that the ckp is okay.

You said you had power to one side of the injector, correct? The next step to me would be to check continuity from the other side of the injector... The ground side, back to the PGM fi connector ( the computer). That service manual may have the PIN numbers for this somewhere in it.
Look in the trouble codes section for injector codes and tests.
And speaking of DTC's, is your check engine light staying on while cranking or flashing? That code might be a good clue as to what's going on. The manual should tell you how to pull those as well.

In the meantime let's get somebody who works on these daily involved here:
@HondaTech , you got anything?
To me the fact that it ran while you supply fuel tells me that the ckp is okay.

You said you had power to one side of the injector, correct? The next step to me would be to check continuity from the other side of the injector... The ground side, back to the PGM fi connector ( the computer). That service manual may have the PIN numbers for this somewhere in it.
Look in the trouble codes section for injector codes and tests.
And speaking of DTC's, is your check engine light staying on while cranking or flashing? That code might be a good clue as to what's going on. The manual should tell you how to pull those as well.

In the meantime let's get somebody who works on these daily involved here:
@HondaTech , you got anything?
That would be the same nutjob who insisted on adding the reverse lever... or was that a lawyer...

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hi sent a message to the wrong place a minute ago .so here goes long story short ..my 2009 big red quit on me a few days ago ...found good spark ..good fuel pressure, sounds normal cranking, but wont fire up ...if i spray gas into the throttle body she fires up for a second...so hence ,no fuel coming out the injector( I think) put a noid light on the connector wire ..saw no flashing power light ...however did confirm 12 v to one wire cpk was changed a while back by honda the recall.....do these get a ground signal to complete the injector spray?....or?.....next step is the pull injector and confirm no fuel cranking...any help would be nice Theresa
Hi. Dg rider. Any idea why I’m burning tons of oil? No smoke no leaks. 2009 big red. This site is not working well for me I can be reached at [email protected]. Thanks. T

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi. Dg rider. Any idea why I’m burning tons of oil? No smoke no leaks. 2009 big red. This site is not working well for me I can be reached at [email protected]. Thanks. T
How much is "a ton"?
Are you sure it's not leaking or burning? Got to be going somewhere. Maybe leaking where you can't see?
Breather hose from crankcase dumping in the airbox? Also, I believe these have an oil cooler, so check the coolant when cold to make sure there isn't oil in it. Never heard of this on a 700, but worth a check.

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
How much is "a ton"?
Are you sure it's not leaking or burning? Got to be going somewhere. Maybe leaking where you can't see?
Breather hose from crankcase dumping in the airbox? Also, I believe these have an oil cooler, so check the coolant when cold to make sure there isn't oil in it. Never heard of this on a 700, but worth a check.
Hi DG.........one quart in approx 40 miles..not a drop on the ground...coolant is clean. not overheating or running wierd...cant see any smoke even on a hard acceleration...will check airbox when back at the house asap.. thank you.. rings..? valve stem seals etc ??? Theresa ps might be putting new jugs on the Bonanza in my picture .down to 20 % on one cyl.... damn turbos!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!