Noisy pioneer

E

Endurorider

Oct 17, 2013
So I am liking everything about my pioneer but, the thing is LOUD. I had never been in a SxS until I bought this one. I never expected it to be so noisy,it is awful I. certainly cannot talk to or hear the rear passengers and i am inclined to wear ear plugs when i operate it. I compare the noise to a diesel tractor. Does any one have a plan for making them a bit more quiet? I am thinking sound deadening in strategic locations.

M

Mandride

Sep 17, 2013
I have not noticed mine being extremely loud. My wife and I were able to carry on a conversation just fine. we road 40 miles this last weekend.

E

Endurorider

Oct 17, 2013
I took the roof of and rode around for awhile this did reduce the noise some what. I had hoped for noise levels like my rubicon produces.

G

GulfCoast

Oct 8, 2013
I have not noticed this issue. I can speak conversationally to someone in the front seat. Don't have the backseat option in my P2.

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013
Have not noticed it as well, however I only have maybe 10 miles in it! :x

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
ALL sxs's are louder "to driver and passengers" than typical 4 wheeler atv's. The reason is that you are surrounded by many more surfaces to reflect more sound. The reason you are disappointed is that this is your first sxs as you mention. If you get a chance to ride in some other brands you'll quickly find that the Pioneer is actually quieter than most. I do plan to strategically add some sound reducing materials but it will have to wait till I get off my current 13 hr/day 6 days/week work schedule. No time for play at the moment.

Reactions: 0860silverado
O

Oregondunes89

Oct 17, 2013
Yep... the pioneer is quieter than other sxs..

Reactions: caverat
B

brd922001

Sep 30, 2013
As a owner of two other sxs and rode countless others. The Honda is quiet!

E

Endurorider

Oct 17, 2013
I thought I would post an update on my pioneer. I have about 100 miles on it now. The noise level has greatly decreased! People that rode with me when it was brand new are surprised at how much quieter it is now. I don't know why it was so loud when new maybe everything just needed to break in. I love this machine! Rode in the rain and snow and stayed dry.

F

FLMatt

Oct 28, 2013
I'm new to SXS also and the two on my short list were the Yamaha Viking and the Honda Pioneer. I test rode both and the Viking was WAY louder. I mean you couldn't hear the salesman beside you unless it was at idle. And the dashboard assembly shook like hell when at idle. In comparison, the Pioneer purrs when at idle and I can easily talk with my wife when we're putting along. I'm sure full throttle will make that more difficult but I find this to be a very quiet toy compared to the Viking and past ATVs I've owned.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FLMatt, welcome to the forum, you are correct over about 38mph and the engine is loud but you are near the rev limiter(45) that's a reasonable expectation. But your right it is quiet enough to talk the rest of the time.

Robf

Robf

Oct 27, 2013
Endurorider said:
I thought I would post an update on my pioneer. I have about 100 miles on it now. The noise level has greatly decreased! People that rode with me when it was brand new are surprised at how much quieter it is now. I don't know why it was so loud when new maybe everything just needed to break in. I love this machine! Rode in the rain and snow and stayed dry.

Just curious if you put the roof back on? I installed the factory hard roof today and it makes some god awful noises. I thing the overhanging edges vibrate on the ROPS . You get that too?

Reactions: SFC
Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 50 miles on my 1000 delux 5 seat. from two outings mainly on gravel roads.
When I get going about 15 mph and above there is a noise that sounds like loose tin rattling which is annoying and pretty loud. I checkd to see if there was any tin loose and could not find any. Is this a normal sound from the 1000?

Reactions: 0860silverado
B

BAMASXSRIDER

Feb 6, 2017
ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had a Ranger, Wolverine, and now the Pioneer. The Pioneer is by far the quietest and has less vibration of all. The main reason I got rid of the Wolverine was the loud whine noise, otherwise it was a great SXS. I was thinking my first SXS was loud, but I had ridden Honda 4 wheelers (with no CVT).

Dean1K3

Dean1K3

May 24, 2017
Osteen Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have had a Ranger, Wolverine, and now the Pioneer. The Pioneer is by far the quietest and has less vibration of all. The main reason I got rid of the Wolverine was the loud whine noise, otherwise it was a great SXS. I was thinking my first SXS was loud, but I had ridden Honda 4 wheelers (with no CVT).
tires, portals/gear reduction won't help. I just turn up the stereo lol

B

bdk437

May 11, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just curious if you put the roof back on? I installed the factory hard roof today and it makes some god awful noises. I thing the overhanging edges vibrate on the ROPS . You get that too?

I found my doors vibrate so I unscrewed the rubber grommets

Reactions: CumminsPusher
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Everyone I've brought it around thinks it is quiet for a side by side. My uncle made a point to bring up how quiet it was compared with his 570 ranger as I left to take a trail ride last weekend.

I am curious to compare noise level with my father's Gator 825i. It has an engine developed in China for small cars. I have always thought it seemed very quiet compared to my previous ATV's.

T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 2017 700-4 delux and am struggling with the noise as well. Only accessories I have installed are a half windshield and a poly roof.

Downloaded an app on my phone tonight to attempt at getting a ballpark measurement in sound and I get a 101 decibel reading in the back seat and about 95-96 in the front seat while going down a road at about 31mph. There's not much conversing at that rate. Generally a shout followed by a "what?" And so on.

What seems to be the source of sound in mine is the either the rear differential or something right near there. Loud enough I don't hear the tires or much engine.

Our family rode in a ranger 900 crew and wow... what a world of difference. Nearly enough that we have been tempted to look for someone that might want to trade. ( I'm very well aware that this is a big apples to little oranges comparison)

Anyone else experience the same levels? Have any solutions that REALLY do make a difference?

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 2017 700-4 delux and am struggling with the noise as well. Only accessories I have installed are a half windshield and a poly roof.

Downloaded an app on my phone tonight to attempt at getting a ballpark measurement in sound and I get a 101 decibel reading in the back seat and about 95-96 in the front seat while going down a road at about 31mph. There's not much conversing at that rate. Generally a shout followed by a "what?" And so on.

What seems to be the source of sound in mine is the either the rear differential or something right near there. Loud enough I don't hear the tires or much engine.

Our family rode in a ranger 900 crew and wow... what a world of difference. Nearly enough that we have been tempted to look for someone that might want to trade. ( I'm very well aware that this is a big apples to little oranges comparison)

Anyone else experience the same levels? Have any solutions that REALLY do make a difference?

Hey,
I have a 2017 700-2 Deluxe.... The noise level in my machine seems to be about what I expected. I have the windshield and roof. I guess you could consider it noisy at high RPM's, but at cruising speeds , it seems fine to me...the wife and I can talk and hear the radio....but if I get after it , then of course the noise level goes up. We were cruising down a fire road the other day at 40 mph on level ground and it didn't seem too bad to me. I don't have anything to compare it to as in the Polaris you mentioned...so the Honda sound level is normal for me. It is also the way you use it...We use it around the farm and casual trail rides with a few bursts of fast excitement mixed in...If I was getting after it a lot more , then I may notice the noise more...
Just FYI...

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!