Ocracoke Island/Hatteras national Seashore Park info

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
It appears I am off to Ocracoke Island for a week in Sept with my wife's family. I'll be driving my F-250 diesel and could bring my P1000-3. My questions are (1) how do you get a permit as the links I find eventually bring up blank screens? Also, (2) is a 7,000+ pound 4x4 truck suitable for just riding on the beach. How, about (3) a pretty much as stock P1000-3 deluxe (Bighorn 2.0)? It has a windshield and roof and a winch, but no turn signals etc. Do (4) I need to have insurance on the Pioneer? Finally, (5) can I tow a 8.5x16'x7 or 20' long cargo trailer on to the ferry without undue hassle and (6) are reservations needed? Okay, last one (7). Is it worth the hassle?

Whew!!!! Thanks in advance.

s/f Steve

mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC
Rules and Regulations

• Each vehicle must have its own permit.
  • To obtain an ORV permit, your vehicle must:
    • Be registered, licensed, and insured for highway use and comply with inspection requirements for the state, country, or province where the vehicle is registered.
    • Have no more than two axles and have tires that are listed or approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation as described here.
  • Required equipment within the vehicle includes: low-pressure tire gauge, shovel, jack and jack support board. Before driving on designated off-road vehicle routes, Cape Hatteras National Seashore strongly recommends that tire pressure be lowered to at least 20 psi. The softer the sand, the lower the pressure needed. Reinflate tires to normal pressure after returning to paved roads. Many local businesses have air pumps.
  • Optional equipment includes a full-sized spare tire, first-aid kit, fire extinguisher, trash bag or container, flashlight (if night driving) and tow strap.
  • ATVs, UTVs and motorcycles are not allowed.
  • Vehicles are only permitted on designated ORV routes.
  • There are seasonal closures along certain ORV routes that generally range from April 15 - October 14. For current ramp and beach access information go to http://go.nps.gov/beachaccess
  • ORV routes may be temporarily closed if the carrying capacity is reached, if there is a specific need for resource protection, or for safety reasons.
  • A transition to night driving (24 hours per day) could occur on some ORV routes as early as September 15 if there are no sea turtles nests remaining along a route. Full transition to night driving on all ORV routes occurs on November 16 and ends on April 30.
  • For additional information on Cape Hatteras National Seashore, please visit www.nps.gov/caha. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter , and Instagram
  • Proof of Permits must be printed out and displayed in the driver's lower corner of the windshield while in an ORV area. For annual permits a vinyl decal will be mailed to replace the temporary paper Proof of Permit. All ORV's are required to have a copy of the ORV Permit inside the vehicle.
  • To print the Proof of Permit and ORV Permit:
    • Click on the "My Reservations" either from your confirmation email or by logging in and clicking on your name in the upper right corner.
    • Find the correct permit and click "Reservation Details."
    • Click on "Print Permit."
Info here - Cape Hatteras National Seashore Orv Permit, Cape Hatteras National Seashore - Recreation.gov

Reactions: Gunsite Guy
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Found a few on Google. If you drive around Kitty Hawk, look for my lost wallet from my honeymoon with $300 and EMT badge. Sand getting down to the beach took 4wd low range in my FJ40. Take a air pump for after airing down. Hope this helps.

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Thank you both! A lot different from when I was a kid driving down from Sandbridge. I tried the link to Cape Hatteras National seashore ORV permit, the same one the realtor has on the web site and I still just get a blank page. My satellite is working better to today so my Google Fu might work.

s/f Steve

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Grew up near Va Beach, back in in the day, no permits to ride beach or dunes. Was dissapointed last trip to see Nags Head so built up. Enjoy your trip.
C15FF0CD E589 40CC 8F71 2704771F8881

Kinlaw

Kinlaw

Mar 26, 2021
NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah dude that FJ is SWEET

mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC
Now if you want the real beach fishing place, check out Core banks cabins. Only 4 wheel drive and atv/ sxs can handle it

Cabins are rustic: Great Island Cabin Camp, Cape Lookout National Seashore - Recreation.gov

And it's a 4 car ferry that gets you there: Davis, NC Ferry Service | Cape Lookout Cabins & Camps | South Core Banks Fishing & Camping

But the fishing great! Image Gallery | Davis, NC Ferry | Cape Lookout Cabins & Camps | South Core Banks Fishing & Camping

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!