P1000 Odd dead battery issue

obas

obas

Jul 30, 2020
Pell City, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a 2018 Pioneer 1K3 new a couple months ago with the only electrical modification being I added a WARN Axon winch. Haven't even used the winch under load yet.

Packing up to head to Windrock this weekend and had a dead battery (10.78V). The ignition was off.

So i jumped it, verified it was charging (14V), drove a short distance, shut it off and would not restart.​
Verified the battery cables were secured​
Pulled battery cables and verified no shorts.​
Put on a charger and noticed it wasn't pulling a charge and battery voltage showed 12.5V while on the charger.​
Reconnected everything and starts right up.​

Almost seems like disconnecting then reconnecting the battery reset something.

Has anyone had a similar experience or any thoughts? A bit nervous about driving up to Windrock now.

Thanks,

Reactions: TxDoc
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Do you have a wireless winch remote installed? These can run your battery down if wired incorrectly.

obas

obas

Jul 30, 2020
Pell City, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No wireless remote installed. Going to monitor the voltage over the weekend and if i see going down will disconnect the winch.

Thanks for the replies!

A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sometimes a battery will short itself out internally and just go bad
Sounds like you need a new battery

Reactions: Vikes79
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe the same guy in South Carolina assembled your's that put mine together. He has a weak wrist, I know that because 3 out of 4 grounds were so loose they were creating gremlins at every turn. Put a wrench on each ground and turn to tight. My worst ground wire got 2 full turns before the cable was snug, not yet tight. Battery should be changed. You will need to get a trickle charger or a battery disconnect to keep battery charged. My 2017 1000-3 has two lithium batteries mounted in the place of the original battery. 3 years and no issues. Don't let it sit longer than a week without charging or disconnecting battery. The electronics use power even when it is OFF. Experimented several times to come to that conclusion. Good luck. A new battery and a full 14.3V charge and you'll be ready for anything.

obas

obas

Jul 30, 2020
Pell City, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Interesting comments, thanks.

I put 100+ miles at Windrock with no problems so should have a good charge now if all grounds are tight.

I verified one ground near the starter was tight. This holiday weekend I am going to let it sit and see how much of a voltage drop happens over several days being off. Next week I am installing a switch plate and bilge blower so that will give me a chance to find the rest of the ground connections.

Also, I bought the 2018 new a couple of months ago so maybe sitting in a warehouse two years damaged the battery.

Thanks for advice!

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!