P1000 Oil Change-Metal!!

A

ArTurf

Oct 1, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Changed both motor and sub trans oil today. When I poured the used oil from the drain pan into empty containers there were lots of metal pieces, sort of looked like what you would see if you drilled metal, at the bottom. I'm thinking not good. Anyone ever see this after oil change?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Changed both motor and sub trans oil today. When I poured the used oil from the drain pan into empty containers there were lots of metal pieces, sort of looked like what you would see if you drilled metal, at the bottom. I'm thinking not good. Anyone ever see this after oil change?
Some metal is normal in break in oil, but if we're talking chunks...that's cause for concern. A pic would help?

J

JTW

Rut roe... pics!! And I think I’d run it another 100 miles and change it again.

Reactions: TripleB
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
There will be metal after the break in period. A magnetic drain plug will look like this on the break in oil change and there will be lots of aluminum particles in the oil filter. On the second oil change a magnetic drain will be nearly clean.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I assume you've ruled out the possibility of the metal already being in the pan you were using.

Reactions: JTW
A

ArTurf

Oct 1, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Didn't think to take pics, like mama said stupid is as stupid does.

They weren't in the pan before change.

If I had to describe them I'd say spiral balls. If it were just small flakes I wouldn't be worried. I'll probably change it in a shorter period next time.

Wish I had thought to drain engine and trans in different pans to see which one it came from. I'll do that next time

A

ArTurf

Oct 1, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Side note. I rolled it in a 6' deep ditch on it's side this morning. Pulled it out and all's OK.

No chance any oil drained out is there? I didn't think to check before I left it at duck camp 2 hrs away.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Didn't think to take pics, like mama said stupid is as stupid does.

They weren't in the pan before change.

If I had to describe them I'd say spiral balls. If it were just small flakes I wouldn't be worried. I'll probably change it in a shorter period next time.

Wish I had thought to drain engine and trans in different pans to see which one it came from. I'll do that next time

Well it doesnt sound very good, but if it's bad it wont take long to find out.

How many miles on the machine?

Reactions: JTW
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did it appear as though the appropriate amount of oil came out of the machine?

Reactions: TripleB
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, looked to be correct. Why do you ask?

Low oil could lead to issues. Have you noticed any issues with how the machine operates? How it sounds, shifts, drives, idles...

If it were me I'd put on a few hours or so and change it again to see how it looks. Its cheap peace of mind. I've had 2 machines and never had any metal shavings. Fine flakes are one thing but spiral cut shavings are cause for concern to me.

A

ArTurf

Oct 1, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haven't noticed anything unusual, will change again shortly and keep oils separate

C

cekkk

Jan 18, 2020
Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
This makes me think about changing my oil at 50 miles and 150 instead of just a hundred when my Talon arrives Friday. Any thoughts about doing that?

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This makes me think about changing my oil at 50 miles and 150 instead of just a hundred when my Talon arrives Friday. Any thoughts about doing that?
Follow the manual on break in, no hard accelerations for the first 15miles.
Then change oil at 100 miles or 20 hours....
I'm getting ready to change mine 103 miles and like 15 hours.

Reactions: cekkk
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Follow the manual on break in, no hard accelerations for the first 15miles.
Then change oil at 100 miles or 20 hours....
I'm getting ready to change mine 103 miles and like 15 hours.
If u let both the sub trans and engine oil drain into the same pan,then I would think most of the metal came from the sub trans.Next time use a separate pan,this way u can isolate ur concerns

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If u let both the sub trans and engine oil drain into the same pan,then I would think most of the metal came from the sub trans.Next time use a separate pan,this way u can isolate ur concerns
If you haven’t,make sure u change ur differential oils as well.the oil that came out of mine looked like metallic paint.refill w synthetic gear oil.made a big difference in how quiet the gear boxes are.

Reactions: russknight and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!