• Thread starter Midnight_Rider_1961
  • Start date
M

Midnight_Rider_1961

Apr 22, 2018
Smithville, TN
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am new to the SxS world altogether, however due to positive past experience with ALL HONDA motorcycles I decided to purchase one, a used 2014 Honda Pioneer 700, with just under 1000 miles. So far, I love it. I have found many uses for it around the home and farm. However, I need to do (learn how to do) maintenance on my machine. I would like to both change oil & filter and spark plug(s). So far all I have been able to get from the owner's manual which the original owner included is confusion. Can anyone help me? I need some easy to read, easy to follow instructions for both items I need to do. Is there a web link I need to go to? Will it have clear pictures as well? Thanks in advance for any assistance I can get.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
welcome from Pa
Heres what you need to do.
Go to the search bar in the top right and type in "700 oil change guide"
Mr.flynn did a detailed thread on this......Just use the search a little and it will help you a lot....
And be patient and check back in on thread...Others will chime in....The spark plug is a pain,I found it is easier for me to jack up the machine on jack stands and I get to it by reaching up from underneath....hard to do from up top through under seat...I do the oil and plug together.....

Reactions: Midnight_Rider_1961
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
As @swsebek said, there is a guide somewhere that will give you the basics on the oil change.

Also, follow the idle time vs air temp recommendations and the "wait" to check the oil level listed in the owner's manual. The factory service manual also instructs not to rev the engine or snap the throttle during the idle time, as it will affect the oil level reading. I've tested all these factors, and they do change the oil level reading. The reason for all this is that these engines are not "wet sump" engines in the traditional sense.
It's also common to run these slightly over full. I go about 1/16" over full mark.

As for the spark plug, again, if you can get it from the bottom, great. Just clean all the crap from around the plug.
My experience was that the plug cap was always stubborn to the point of having it break. Twice. For this reason, i always removed the plastic seat bottom because i knew it would be a fight (but then again, i was probably checking the valves anyway).

Good luck

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Welcome to the forum. The 700 will treat you fine. Fill 'er up and then a little more on oil. Drain it, put new filter in and dump 3.5 quarts in very slowly, very slowly and you'll be good. If you go over a bit don't worry. Do not put over a gallon in it but make sure you put over 3 quarts in.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!