P500 Oil filter grommet pushed in...

4xfour

Jul 14, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Hello!

During my second oil change on my P500, I noticed during removal half of the oil filter grommet had been pushed into the filter. It appears during installation last time, the filter cover had pushed half the grommet into it. I’m extremely worried I’ve damaged my new ride :(. I only had about 500km (300mi) on the oil since last change, but the oil seemed dirtier than it should of been. The outlet on the filter cover was most likely 50% blocked due to this...

The oil filter cover went on very smootly, and I had pre-oiled the filter and grommet on installation.

What damage have I done, did I starve the top end of 50% oil? Not sure the oil paths on this motor...looking for some reassurance or explanation of what could of happened...

Photo attached is a new filter I recreated the issue on intentionally to show an example.

D8B6046D 5837 4346 8D1A 0CAEF8090B7C

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Hello!

During my second oil change on my P500, I noticed during removal half of the oil filter grommet had been pushed into the filter. It appears during installation last time, the filter cover had pushed half the grommet into it. I’m extremely worried I’ve damaged my new ride :(. I only had about 500km (300mi) on the oil since last change, but the oil seemed dirtier than it should of been. The outlet on the filter cover was most likely 50% blocked due to this...

The oil filter cover went on very smootly, and I had pre-oiled the filter and grommet on installation.

What damage have I done, did I starve the top end of 50% oil? Not sure the oil paths on this motor...looking for some reassurance or explanation of what could of happened...

Photo attached is a new filter I recreated the issue on intentionally to show an example.

View attachment 212630
Nothing to worry about JUST DONT DO IT AGAIN

Reactions: CID and 4xfour
H

HondaTech

I usually install these filters on the cover nipple then put then in the housing. I cant say I've ever seen this situation.

Reactions: Peter_72 and 4xfour

4xfour

Jul 14, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I usually install these filters on the cover nipple then put then in the housing. I cant say I've ever seen this situation.
I did do that, I just must of not pressed the cover against the housing in one motion. More of a side to side to get the first bolt back in. Could this unfiltered oil have prematurely worn the engine in just 500km? I’ll be checking the grommet is seated on each filter from now on.

Just extremely worried...sick to my stomach I’ve never messed up a filter install.

Reactions: Mudder
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
You'll be fine. Not a ton of miles and the oil was still doing it's job. May not have been much if any 'blow by' either. Thanks for bringing it up.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
My guess you will be ok. Cover o ring was a secondary barrier to circulation.

KevinHartley

KevinHartley

Jun 28, 2020
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
It should be fine....Heck in the old days our 3-wheelers didn’t even have oil filters.

Reactions: CID
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
They still make some riding lawn mowers without oil filters.

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
I'll look out for this next time I do a change!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!