YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Everything was fine. Put roughly 40 miles of gravel on today. Go to check cattle and ride fence and the oil light comes on and temp hits three bars. Puke bottle is full, oil level is perfect. I'm sitting in the middle of a pasture letting it cool down before I try to start it again. Any ideas ?

Reactions: Lady01 and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Interesting issue. did you notice anything else happening before it got hot?
Did it happen again when you got going?

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Everything else is normal. Started it up and made it 1/4 mile and light came on again. Didn't check temp just shut it down. Waited a few seconds and fired it up again. At idle, no oil light and temp is twi bars. Heading to the house, lets see how far I get this time.

Reactions: Lady01
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Made it 500 feet. Oil light is on, temp at two bars like always.
Is the oil light for low oil or oil temp? If its saying its low when it's not I'd just drive home and get it to the dealer. @lee?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you had the clutch cover update done? You said oil level was perfect - I assume you checked both the subtran and the motor? Also is your fan cutting on?

advertisement
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you had the clutch cover update done? You said oil level was perfect - I assume you checked both the subtran and the motor? Also is your fan cutting on?
Had clutch update done. Didn't check sub because I thought the oil light was for engine only. Fan works like it always has and temp stays at two bars now, but oil light keeps coming on.

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Took forever to get home, but from what I have found it's rpm under load related. I can fire it up and idle forever and it's fine. I can rev and hold at 5000 rpm's and it's fine. I can put it in low or high and drive around and it's fine. But shortly after hitting 4000 rpm's under load the oil light comes on. I'll check in the morning and see if it does the same thing with a cold motor. Hate to hit 4k rpm's on a cold start, but they do it all the time at the dealers.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had clutch update done. Didn't check sub because I thought the oil light was for engine only. Fan works like it always has and temp stays at two bars now, but oil light keeps coming on.
There is going to be some smarter people come a long and comment as the holiday weekend comes to a close I just know it. I was asking about the clutch cover as I “heard” that the oil temp light will now be more responsive when the clutches are heating up - giving you indication ahead of risk of burning them up. It doesn’t sound like you were doing anything to risk that though. I asked about the subtran - just to further eliminate another element.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Took forever to get home, but from what I have found it's rpm under load related. I can fire it up and idle forever and it's fine. I can rev and hold at 5000 rpm's and it's fine. I can put it in low or high and drive around and it's fine. But shortly after hitting 4000 rpm's under load the oil light comes on. I'll check in the morning and see if it does the same thing with a cold motor. Hate to hit 4k rpm's on a cold start, but they do it all the time at the dealers.
Could it have anything to do with the brand of oil you're using? How long ago was the update done? Could it be a wire worked loose? Most likely it's a minor issue and an easy fix.

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Could it have anything to do with the brand of oil you're using? How long ago was the update done? Could it be a wire worked loose? Most likely it's a minor issue and an easy fix.

I use Honda oil and filters, clutch update was done April 9th. Tried it this morning when cold and light still comes on at 4k rpms. And something else popped up this morning, it no longer starts in gear now, only park or nuetral.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just tossing this out there to check as well Page 225 on the manual say the light will come on if the emergency valve is turned on - while this probably has nothing to do with it I would check that to just eliminate one more thing - who know it could have rattled loose. Doubt that is it however

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
is this the first time you have driven it since the clutch update. I read where the dealer has pinched a gasket or a O ring while doing the clutch update causing the oil light to come on. so if this is the first time you have driven it that might be the problem or have you driven it a lot since the clutch update.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
is this the first time you have driven it since the clutch update. I read where the dealer has pinched a gasket or a O ring while doing the clutch update causing the oil light to come on. so if this is the first time you have driven it that might be the problem or have you driven it a lot since the clutch update.
Winner! Bad clutch update installation!
This is a common occurrence, techs tend to miss a crucial oring during installation.

Not sure if it is driveable right now, or not. Personally I would drive it. Any problems would be on the dealer.

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So a pinched o ring could be the culprit? I've put 400 miles on it since the clutch update with no problems . Any thoughts why it suddenly wont start in gear now?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They have a neutral safety switch, they will only start in neutral or park.

400 miles, might not have been the right conditions yet is all.

advertisement