Oil stinks like fuel ?

N

NightwolfP1000

Feb 27, 2024
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello all, long time listner ,first time caller ,newbie here just purchased my first pioneer last week, 2018 1000-3 purchased used obviously, 19xx miles, machine is in very good condition , I've had it torn down a bit to give it a good scrubbing and PM, I ordered a engine/tranny/sub Trans, and diff fluid swap kit .. hasn't arrived yet , but just checking things over and I've noticed a gas smell to the oil. It's a bit past full witch concerns me and it smells like fuel ...the previous owner I think used it as a golf cart didn't always get it good n hot . I'm not sure just guessing from its condition, but the machine runs flawless, after finding the tainted oil I have not run it as I don't want to eat a bearing or score the cylinder walls .. previous owner said it was changed before winter .. anyway , has anyone ever seen this? Maybe it's not fuel maybe the oil smells funny ? Or if it is , I'm assuming it's from short cold runs and rings not seating? I have not pulled plugs yet to check any rich conditions but kit has plugs I will look when jt comes in , any thoughts or help is appreciated

N

NightwolfP1000

Feb 27, 2024
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
first wash

Screenshot 20240226 115915 Snapchat

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from the Strechen Gretchen State
Michigan

Nice buggy. I like the Blue.
Said u bought it used. Did The previous owner do the clutch update and other recalls do u know?

N

NightwolfP1000

Feb 27, 2024
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not aware, from the looks of his place , last time it saw a dealer was when it left the lot . I did a "relearn" on the clutches yesterday, seemed to smooth things out , I'm sorry for my naivete, but what recalls are out for an 18'

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Not aware, from the looks of his place , last time it saw a dealer was when it left the lot . I did a "relearn" on the clutches yesterday, seemed to smooth things out , I'm sorry for my naivete, but what recalls are out for an 18'
This may sound harsh but its not. People get bent when I make suggestions. Its only to help u out in the long run.

First, hit reply to reply to someone so they get a notice (see box above) not everyone is on here every day and wont see u replied if u dont. Or type @NightwolfP1000 to a reply. Easy peasy. 😉

Also, for many things, use the search in the upper right corner of the page. Most things have already been discussed in detail and its easier than re listing them here again.

Now, as for recalls, there are plenty. The clutch update is a big one but its just that
A “campaign” not a recall and its over with. 16-18’ models were effected. Hopefully its been done. If not and your having issues, the update will fix them not just a relearn.
You can also give your vin# to a honda dealer and they can look up whats been done for u as well.

Here is a pic how to check for the clutch update
IMG 5175

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
N

NightwolfP1000

Feb 27, 2024
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This may sound harsh but its not. People get bent when I make suggestions. Its only to help u out in the long run.

First, hit reply to reply to someone so they get a notice (see box above) not everyone is on here every day and wont see u replied if u dont. Or type @NightwolfP1000 to a reply. Easy peasy. 😉

Also, for many things, use the search in the upper right corner of the page. Most things have already been discussed in detail and its easier than re listing them here again.

Now, as for recalls, there are plenty. The clutch update is a big one but its just that
A “campaign” not a recall and its over with. 16-18’ models were effected. Hopefully its been done. If not and your having issues, the update will fix them not just a relearn.
You can also give your vin# to a honda dealer and they can look up whats been done for u as well.

View attachment 419605
Thank you, sorry I didn't use the reply , kinda new to the whole forum thing, and yes I used the search, as no active recall for clutches , I've heard of issues, rumor mill says 50/50 operator error , I will check the case when I get home, mine seems to function/shift and run beautifully, but I will definitely keep an ear to the tracks for any change in transmission function , thank you for The help much appreciated

N

NightwolfP1000

Feb 27, 2024
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa.
Here is where to check for recalls by VIN.
and.... LOVE the Blue. haha
We have the same year, model, and color. 👍
View attachment 419608
Have a good day
Exellent ! Thank you for the link ! And yes I'm a big fan of the blue as well ... my wife actually found this machine .. I was looking at pioneers and she goes "oh this ones blue!" Had to have it .. my other favorite is JD green , but being a honda site not sure how well that's received 😉

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exellent ! Thank you for the link ! And yes I'm a big fan of the blue as well ... my wife actually found this machine .. I was looking at pioneers and she goes "oh this ones blue!" Had to have it .. my other favorite is JD green , but being a honda site not sure how well that's received 😉
Red is the fastest color but Honda does make slower inferior colors for those that prefer them. 🤣🤣

Last edited:
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All the 2018s had the updated clutch cover. Some of the late 17s had the updated cover too.

N

NightwolfP1000

Feb 27, 2024
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Che

View attachment 419605
Checked ... I have the "improved" clutch cover

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all, long time listner ,first time caller ,newbie here just purchased my first pioneer last week, 2018 1000-3 purchased used obviously, 19xx miles, machine is in very good condition , I've had it torn down a bit to give it a good scrubbing and PM, I ordered a engine/tranny/sub Trans, and diff fluid swap kit .. hasn't arrived yet , but just checking things over and I've noticed a gas smell to the oil. It's a bit past full witch concerns me and it smells like fuel ...the previous owner I think used it as a golf cart didn't always get it good n hot . I'm not sure just guessing from its condition, but the machine runs flawless, after finding the tainted oil I have not run it as I don't want to eat a bearing or score the cylinder walls .. previous owner said it was changed before winter .. anyway , has anyone ever seen this? Maybe it's not fuel maybe the oil smells funny ? Or if it is , I'm assuming it's from short cold runs and rings not seating? I have not pulled plugs yet to check any rich conditions but kit has plugs I will look when jt comes in , any thoughts or help is appreciated
Hi welcome to the site.

You don’t mention how you checked the engine oil..

On the pioneer 1000 you don’t screw in the dip stick like a lawnmower…you leave it rest on the hole top. If you screwed it in…it would look over filled if all else is normal. Same for filling…it would be under filled.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

I'd blame it on short trips, never getting a chance to warm up and burn off crankcase moisture/fuel. Once started, it's a good idea to leave them running until they reach operating temp or risk fouling plugs.

If you aren't familiar with the Pioneer 1000 - the engine oil has two drain plugs about 4" apart, one is horizontal and pointing to the left side. The other, and a little rearward, is pointing almost straight down. You'll want your extension leaned a little bit to the right side so you don't round off the drain plug - no, you're not crazy. (at least on a Talon, I'm assuming the Pioneer is the same)

The sub trans is forward of those two and also points to the left side.

This is a Talon skid, but the drains are in the same place (very similar engines) -
I D3ddQQF X2

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!