Oil stinks like fuel ?

N

NightwolfP1000

Feb 27, 2024
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

I'd blame it on short trips, never getting a chance to warm up and burn off crankcase moisture/fuel. Once started, it's a good idea to leave them running until they reach operating temp or risk fouling plugs.

If you aren't familiar with the Pioneer 1000 - the engine oil has two drain plugs about 4" apart, one is horizontal and pointing to the left side. The other, and a little rearward, is pointing almost straight down. You'll want your extension leaned a little bit to the right side so you don't round off the drain plug - no, you're not crazy. (at least on a Talon, I'm assuming the Pioneer are the same)

The sub trans is forward of those two and also points to the left side.

This is a Talon skid, but the drains are in the same place (very similar engines) -
View attachment 419632
Exellent yes my guess as well , I've encountered that on other off road machines who's brands i will not mention here lol, but they were the snow going type so different animal fouling plugs when not yet warm , and thank you, I've wheeled under the machine once with my crawler but haven't obviously drained anything, waiting for Amazon to bring me my kit.. surprising , oil kit ,crush washers, two oil filters, air filter, two plugs and diff fluid , $149 .. not bad for stuff that says honda all over it

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Welcome from da Yoop.

Blue is the fastest!
20230930 125849

N

NightwolfP1000

Feb 27, 2024
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi welcome to the site.

You don’t mention how you checked the engine oil..

On the pioneer 1000 you don’t screw in the dip stick like a lawnmower…you leave it rest on the hole top. If you screwed it in…it would look over filled if all else is normal. Same for filling…it would be under filled.
Yes I did see that it's a non screw, for checking levels , it's still a good inch above hash marks 🙄.. had to do a double check because I had an can am, and they wanted to screw in

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all, long time listner ,first time caller ,newbie here just purchased my first pioneer last week, 2018 1000-3 purchased used obviously, 19xx miles, machine is in very good condition , I've had it torn down a bit to give it a good scrubbing and PM, I ordered a engine/tranny/sub Trans, and diff fluid swap kit .. hasn't arrived yet , but just checking things over and I've noticed a gas smell to the oil. It's a bit past full witch concerns me and it smells like fuel ...the previous owner I think used it as a golf cart didn't always get it good n hot . I'm not sure just guessing from its condition, but the machine runs flawless, after finding the tainted oil I have not run it as I don't want to eat a bearing or score the cylinder walls .. previous owner said it was changed before winter .. anyway , has anyone ever seen this? Maybe it's not fuel maybe the oil smells funny ? Or if it is , I'm assuming it's from short cold runs and rings not seating? I have not pulled plugs yet to check any rich conditions but kit has plugs I will look when jt comes in , any thoughts or help is appreciated
Welcome to the club! Thatsa sweet lookin ride. Be sure to check out the club store for accessories. They sell red stickers there to help you out. You’re gonna love that machine. Enjoy!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Honda's recommended procedure for checking the oil level is ridiculously unrepeatable IMO.

It reads -
18. Start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes.
19. Stop the engine and after 2-3 minutes, check the oil level. Make sure the oil is between the upper and lower level marks on the dipstick.

When I do an oil and filters change, I add 6.1 qt. per the manual and never look at the dipstick. 1/10th qt. is 3.2 oz. - so 6 qts, 3.2 oz.

I never use the ridiculous Honda procedure of warming up, shutting off, waiting for 2 or 3 minutes, then check oil level. WTF? I do an oil change, run the buggy long enough to saturate the filters, shut off, wait (sometimes overnight) and then check the oil with the dipstick fully seated - like you would before a ride or when sitting in the garage during the week. Idjits.

Right after an oil change, running long enough to saturate filters and letting sit. Do this with your own engine, with the buggy sitting in the same place you'll check it in the future, don't use my mark. You get to decide if you want to get your reference mark with the dipstick screwed in or not. yada, yada, yada, YMMV, IMHO :cool:
383195 58c50e07240bfaf82b1836577a940cb8

N

NightwolfP1000

Feb 27, 2024
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda's recommended procedure for checking the oil level is ridiculously unrepeatable IMO.

It reads -
18. Start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes.
19. Stop the engine and after 2-3 minutes, check the oil level. Make sure the oil is between the upper and lower level marks on the dipstick.

When I do an oil and filters change, I add 6.1 qt. per the manual and never look at the dipstick. 1/10th qt. is 3.2 oz. - so 6 qts, 3.2 oz.

I never use the ridiculous Honda procedure of warming up, shutting off, waiting for 2 or 3 minutes, then check oil level. WTF? I do an oil change, run the buggy long enough to saturate the filters, shut off, wait (sometimes overnight) and then check the oil with the dipstick fully seated - like you would before a ride or when sitting in the garage during the week. Idjits.

Right after an oil change, running long enough to saturate filters and letting sit. Do this with your own engine, with the buggy sitting in the same place you'll check it in the future, don't use my mark. You get to decide if you want to get your reference mark with the dipstick screwed in or not. yada, yada, yada, YMMV, IMHO :cool:
View attachment 419655
Yes I assume they want the slight warming period to expand fluid to achive desired levels ?, but I would agree , add recommended amount of fluid.. saturate filters check what stick says add if nessicary , and remember that level

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Welcome from upstate central New <> "Too"

Many good people and information on Honda Forum

Red was the first Color All other colors followed -- Honda Hope's they sell

Enjoy the Nice Blue Toy & Make Memories

Barely -- broke-in

Suggest
Air filter -- clean or Replaece
Exhaust -- wipe the outlet with clean paper towel check for Color & "dry"
Clean -- Spark Arestor

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Barely -- broke-in

Suggest
Clean -- Spark Arestor
my advice is to never try cleaning air filter - just replace it

nothing good is going to come from cleaning it - it’s not made to be cleaned

good luck and enjoy the ride

N

NightwolfP1000

Feb 27, 2024
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Barely -- broke-in

Suggest
Clean -- Spark Arestor
Awesome to see more ppl from upstate!, my PM kit came in this evening , I swapped engine/tranny filter n oil, this weekend I will do both diffs, air filter ,plugs, got the tip off exhaust to check/clean spark arrestor , ofcoarse every bolt snapped 😮‍💨, I will drill n tap to thiswl weekend as well , long term is an aftermarket exhaust, wife said it sounds like golf cart haha ,I personally prefer a little more "growl" but nothing excessive and annoying

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Awesome to see more ppl from upstate!, my PM kit came in this evening , I swapped engine/tranny filter n oil, this weekend I will do both diffs, air filter ,plugs, got the tip off exhaust to check/clean spark arrestor , ofcoarse every bolt snapped 😮‍💨, I will drill n tap to thiswl weekend as well , long term is an aftermarket exhaust, wife said it sounds like golf cart haha ,I personally prefer a little more "growl" but nothing excessive and annoying
I put a 2” Stainless turn down on my muffler. When you get those exhaust tip bolts out, coat the new ones with never seize to eliminate the threads gaulding up again. The larger exhaust tip will make the tone a little deeper/louder but not by much.

N

NightwolfP1000

Feb 27, 2024
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I put a 2” Stainless turn down on my muffler. When you get those exhaust tip bolts out, coat the new ones with never seize to eliminate the threads gaulding up again. The larger exhaust tip will make the tone a little deeper/louder but not by much.
Currently running it with no tip or arrestor 😎, sounds decent, I'll get it back on, but had to go give it a post maintenance inspection sending it down the road haha, shifts and runs helluva lot nicer ! I never pushed it hard before oil change but wow it's got some snap! , shifting is MILES better than when I picked it up, clutch is less "jumpy" at slow speeds... ran it for a bit ,did the clutch relearn again .. seemed to smooth out even more 👍... two things I noted, rear end had quite a bit of metallic sheen in the oil , front diff was perfect, but gave me some pause when I saw the rears oil . manual says change at 1800 miles.. machine has 1900 miles . Also while the shifting is almost car smooth now, I do notice a slight "tick" about half a second before it shifts... is this the clutch? The drive terrain ? The rear ? Or is this the norm? Its not loud or really "clunky" just noticeable noise right before shifts up or down

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Currently running it with no tip or arrestor 😎, sounds decent, I'll get it back on, but had to go give it a post maintenance inspection sending it down the road haha, shifts and runs helluva lot nicer ! I never pushed it hard before oil change but wow it's got some snap! , shifting is MILES better than when I picked it up, clutch is less "jumpy" at slow speeds... ran it for a bit ,did the clutch relearn again .. seemed to smooth out even more 👍... two things I noted, rear end had quite a bit of metallic sheen in the oil , front diff was perfect, but gave me some pause when I saw the rears oil . manual says change at 1800 miles.. machine has 1900 miles . Also while the shifting is almost car smooth now, I do notice a slight "tick" about half a second before it shifts... is this the clutch? The drive terrain ? The rear ? Or is this the norm? Its not loud or really "clunky" just noticeable noise right before shifts up or down
The click is normal. It’s a shift solenoid I think. I don’t run the spark arrestor either. I’m an outlaw! 😂

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!