P500 Oil

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone notice if their machine uses oil? I've been on about four or or five rides since I've changed it in the fall. Normal? Thoughts or concerns? Thanks all!!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I haven't noticed my P500 using any, only ridden 200 miles since initial oil change but seems to not have changed.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No oil usage here.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks all. I know it was full this fall when I changed it(about half way up) and no leaks on the garage floor this past winter. Now it's on that little notch right at the tip of the dipstick.

newb

newb

Oct 29, 2015
london , ar
Thanks all. I know it was full this fall when I changed it(about half way up) and no leaks on the garage floor this past winter. Now it's on that little notch right at the tip of the dipstick.

Did you check the level after 1st startup following oil change ? It is not unusual to "lose" a little filling oil passages , filter , etc

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you check the level after 1st startup following oil change ? It is not unusual to "lose" a little filling oil passages , filter , etc
Yup. Went down a little but not much. I'm gonna change it next week and just keep better track of miles. Do you guys check before EACH ride?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yup. Went down a little but not much. I'm gonna change it next week and just keep better track of miles. Do you guys check before EACH ride?
No. No usage between oil changes.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hummm ugh this makes me nervous. I'm gone this weekend but gonna do an oil change this week and then monitor my miles and see what happens. Thanks for everyone's response

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hummm ugh this makes me nervous. I'm gone this weekend but gonna do an oil change this week and then monitor my miles and see what happens. Thanks for everyone's response
It's not smoking when it's running is it?

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's not smoking when it's running is it?
Nope. I don't see anything when it's sitting there warming up before I take off and I usually have someone following me on rides and no one has said anything.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Nope. I don't see anything when it's sitting there warming up before I take off and I usually have someone following me on rides and no one has said anything.
Well, using oil usually means burning oil that's perhaps getting past the oil rings. If so, you'd likely see a bluish white smoke, it could be faint, so you'd need to look close. Also, the spark plug would be gumming up a little. If you've eliminated leaks, it's a mystery to me. I hope you post your findings in the end.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Always check it the same way, no matter what you do. Whether you check it cold, or warmed up and shut off for a couple mins. It will read different when you use different methods. Since you are monitoring it to check for usage, I would also park it in the exact same spot every time you check it. The oil level can read much different when parked on just a little bit of a grade versus perfectly level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Montecresto
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Always check it the same way, no matter what you do. Whether you check it cold, or warmed up and shut off for a couple mins. It will read different when you use different methods. Since you are monitoring it to check for usage, I would also park it in the exact same spot every time you check it. The oil level can read much different when parked on just a little bit of a grade versus perfectly level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I check it after its warmed up and a quick ride to go get gas. I have to check it at the gas station because the crappy part about checking it cold in my yard is I don't have a level spot anywhere as my whole yard is on a sloap. I noticed this the last time I filled up.

And I'm positive it was at the correct level this past fall because I was constantly checking it after my oil change to make sure I had enough oil and before I parked it before winter.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, using oil usually means burning oil that's perhaps getting past the oil rings. If so, you'd likely see a bluish white smoke, it could be faint, so you'd need to look close. Also, the spark plug would be gumming up a little. If you've eliminated leaks, it's a mystery to me. I hope you post your findings in the end.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of is it burning oil. I always let it run for a few minutes before I take off and I've never seen a blue and white smoke. I'm gonna look a lot closer next time.

When I do the next oil change I'm gonna pull the plug and look. I'll keep everyone updated as to what I find out.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pulled the plug tonight and hers what it looked like. Also watched for any smoke from the exhaust and nothing. Getting my oil and filter Friday will change it and keep you posted.

Image Image Image Image

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Reactions: Little_g
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Pulled the plug tonight and hers what it looked like. Also watched for any smoke from the exhaust and nothing. Getting my oil and filter Friday will change it and keep you posted.

View attachment 14239 View attachment 14240 View attachment 14241 View attachment 14242
Plug looks great, you're not burning any oil. You have no worries. Perhaps you have a small leak that's staying atop the skid. Or, perhaps after this oil change, you'll see no more trouble. Like ehart told you, always check oil the same way.

Reactions: Little_g
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks everyone. I'm starting to feel more relieved about this whole situation. I wish I could buy everyone a . THANKS AGAIN I have total confidence in you guys.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!