P500 Oil pan heating pad... size and placement

J

jporsche

Oct 23, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Will be using the P500 throughout winter in northern Canada. Already have a battery charger but looking to get an oil pan heater for reliable starts in -20ºC to -40ºC/F.

Currently looking at ordering a Canadian Polar Pad, but I'm not in the same province as my sxs right now and so I'm looking for advice on what size would fit on the P500 (if any). Needs a flat surface, either 2x3in or 1.5x6 (Canadian Polar Pad).

Anyone have experience with an oil heating pad or able to take a look at their own machine and give me advice?

H

HondaTech

Are these pads flexible?
What "sticks" them to the engine?

If they bend easily, either of those size pads would have no problem fitting on the P500 engine crankcase.

Reactions: Smitty335
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
If you have not already seen them, there are a few older posts like this example, including product links. Searched “block heater in the P500 section). Hope this helps.

Reactions: Smitty335
J

jporsche

Oct 23, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
If you have not already seen them, there are a few older posts like this example, including product links. Searched “block heater in the P500 section). Hope this helps.

Yep, I've been looking through older posts but I've only been able to find examples of pads being used on the P1000 which has a bigger engine and presumably more surface to stick the thing on. Will look into block heaters if need be, but I'm not super confident installing one myself and the wait time to get into a garage in the rural community is super long

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, I've been looking through older posts but I've only been able to find examples of pads being used on the P1000 which has a bigger engine and presumably more surface to stick the thing on. Will look into block heaters if need be, but I'm not super confident installing one myself and the wait time to get into a garage in the rural community is super long
Merry Christmas brother. That’s damn cold. Have you checked Princess Auto. They had a few things on sale last week. My 500 sits in my garage with the wood stove on. The mount is on the bike but plow is sitting up beside it right now. Everyone out west and in the north are cold. My daughter moved from Cold Lake last summer, she doesn’t miss that cold.
Anything I can do, just ask.
Stay safe and warm brother. I’m in NS.
Caper

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!