P500 Engine Block Heater for P5

RoadGator916

RoadGator916

Jan 23, 2019
MinneSNOWta
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I'm wondering if anyone has installed an Engine Block Heater on your P5? Or is there some sort of alternative you can install and plug in to assist the machine with starting when the temps get real cold. Reason I am asking is we use our P5 for ice fishing and some days the weather gets very cold and I would prefer not to get stranded out on the ice. I usually have my Honda 2000 generator with and could plug in a engine block heater or some other equivalent if anyone knows of something we could use. Thanks in advance for the help. BTW I tried the search and didn't locate anything. Doesn't mean there wasn't something there I just didn't locate it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Saw references to Thermco circulators for radiators in ATV forums. Just one example of another brand.

F264142E A094 42E8 8F55 2CEB63286CB1

Last edited:
Reactions: JCart and trigger
BigMac

BigMac

Sep 22, 2015
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm wondering if anyone has installed an Engine Block Heater on your P5? Or is there some sort of alternative you can install and plug in to assist the machine with starting when the temps get real cold. Reason I am asking is we use our P5 for ice fishing and some days the weather gets very cold and I would prefer not to get stranded out on the ice. I usually have my Honda 2000 generator with and could plug in a engine block heater or some other equivalent if anyone knows of something we could use. Thanks in advance for the help. BTW I tried the search and didn't locate anything. Doesn't mean there wasn't something there I just didn't locate it.
I use a patch that is glued on base of oil pan on my lycoming engine. Looked at Honda engine did not seem to-have a place to glue one. Works great as preheated if you can figure out where to place it. Sportys may have one suggest small one. Let me know if you find spot or one you like. AAmazon has listed some hot pad or pan heater. Only need about 50 watts.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
If you're looking into add-on engine block heaters because of super cold weather out on the ice, I'd also look into battery blankets/heaters. Not sure if it'd be needed, as you mentioned having a generator, worse case you could just jump start it if the battery dies.

As an alternative, anybody have an idea how much gas a p500 uses at idle for a couple hours?

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Old school incandescent droplight.....don't let the gubmint know you have one.

• Haha
Reactions: Montecresto
C

CamoP500

Aug 8, 2020
Lake Vermilion
Ownership

1. 500
My thought is when it comes to ice fishing I’ve never had an issue on my 4 stroke Atvs or snowmobiles starting Usually they aren’t shut down for more than a couple hours before you move or quit. And if longer you can always start it up once an hour and let it idle for a few minutes to keep motor warm. Now if you are staying out on the ice overnight that’s a different story. I’m up on the Minnesota Canadian border so we deal with lots of cold.

Reactions: Duckhunt
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My thought is when it comes to ice fishing I’ve never had an issue on my 4 stroke Atvs or snowmobiles starting Usually they aren’t shut down for more than a couple hours before you move or quit. And if longer you can always start it up once an hour and let it idle for a few minutes to keep motor warm. Now if you are staying out on the ice overnight that’s a different story. I’m up on the Minnesota Canadian border so we deal with lots of cold.
Vermilon Bay? Been through there several times, fished Eagle Lake a couple of times, usually ended up north on Cedar or Cliff lakes.

C

CamoP500

Aug 8, 2020
Lake Vermilion
Ownership

1. 500
I actually live on Lake Vermilion in NE MN. But do lots of fishing in the Atikoken ONT area. Always by snowmobile up there in the wintew, but use the wheelers for early season on Lake Vermilion

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is
I actually live on Lake Vermilion in NE MN. But do lots of fishing in the Atikoken ONT area. Always by snowmobile up there in the wintew, but use the wheelers for early season on Lake Vermilion
Vermilion Bay on Lake Vermilion?

advertisement
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My P5 has started at -25f after sitting for weeks, I doubt a engine heater is really necessary. Just make sure the battery is in good condition.

Reactions: Mudwing
C

CamoP500

Aug 8, 2020
Lake Vermilion
Ownership

1. 500
They all work to some extent but the ones that are inline with radiator hose work the best. Get convection and the coolant will actually circulate and warm the whole engine. Standard equipment on vehicles up here. We get lots of -30 to -45f temps so cold starts are an issue. Personally once it’s -10 f or colder I pass on the ice fishing. Above that I’ve never had an issue on my wheelers even after sitting overnight but I can’t speak to my P500 since I just got
It in July. But it will be parked for the snowmobiles soon so I probably won’t find out. Atv utvs are too slow in the snow particularly once it’s more than 12” deep. They make snowmobiles for a reason.

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
Just to add to what Big Mac had to say....I too had one one my plane, so sweet. But I also put one on my 1000-5. I had to remove some material with a die grinder to make a flat spot so as to be able to glue it on. These heaters are available according to the oil capacity of the engine and will not overheat. AS well, the heated oil radiates up to warm the entire engine..I'm sure there are other ways of doing the same thing, but this was my solution. A cold battery, takes a long time to regain its power and because of where the batt. is located, it does not warm easily..I usually shut down my trapping activities after -30C. and am normally on the sled by that time but there are times when the snow is not there in larger amts..

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just to add to what Big Mac had to say....I too had one one my plane, so sweet. But I also put one on my 1000-5. I had to remove some material with a die grinder to make a flat spot so as to be able to glue it on. These heaters are available according to the oil capacity of the engine and will not overheat. AS well, the heated oil radiates up to warm the entire engine..I'm sure there are other ways of doing the same thing, but this was my solution. A cold battery, takes a long time to regain its power and because of where the batt. is located, it does not warm easily..I usually shut down my trapping activities after -30C. and am normally on the sled by that time but there are times when the snow is not there in larger amts..
What do you trap?

papermaker

papermaker

Jan 18, 2019
Lewiston, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
When it got well below zero, I would put this on my oil pan on my pickup, it started easily. If they still make these and you can find a place to put it, I think it would work.

IMG 4831

S

Sourdough

Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
What do you trap?
On my line, there is everything from weasel to bear but I only trap what is saleable thru the fur auction houses
Sorry, I did not mean to hijack this thread. Was thinking that my reply might just go to the one asking the question
but saw it here, so I came back to edit and apologize...Sorry guys, will know better next time

Reactions: Mudder
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!