P500 New 500 Engine Stalling and Transmission Locking

Deacon

Deacon

Feb 8, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I have a brand new 2022 500 and the first two trips in the field the transmission locks in 1st gear and will not shift out. When I first start the engine and take off the engine stall’s several times and the transmission locks. The indicator flashes 1. I can turn the engine off and immediately restart it and everything works fine then I take off again and the same thing happens. If I take off real slow it doesn’t seem to have a problem. The transmission has shifted hard since I bought it but I’ve read that it will get better with use.

Reactions: crewcabrob
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Check all your grounds and make sure there clean on the cable and surface and secure. Brand new or not, have seen them loose. Very important in these machines.
also make sure your battery is fully charged. When that check list is done, try it again then report back.

You still need to provide pics of your machine! And now of your indicator, your lagging behind. Youll get more help when you do! Its Rule #4
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Deacon

Deacon

Feb 8, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Check all your grounds and make sure there clean on the cable and surface and secure. Brand new or not, have seen them loose. Very important in these machines.
also make sure your battery is fully charged. When that check list is done, try it again then report back.

You still need to provide pics of your machine! And now of your indicator, your lagging behind. Youll get more help when you do! Its Rule #4
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
Will do. Thanks for the info.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Transmission not wanting to shift on new machines has been reported. Happened to me. Typically though the dash will show a dash - for the gear indicator. Usually this issue fades away.

Engine stalling (dying?) doesn't sound right though.

Good general advice is don't baby it.

Deacon

Deacon

Feb 8, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Transmission not wanting to shift on new machines has been reported. Happened to me. Typically though the dash will show a dash - for the gear indicator. Usually this issue fades away.

Engine stalling (dying?) doesn't sound right though.

Good general advice is don't baby it.
The engine doesn’t die, it just bogs down repeatedly and the transmission is trying to shift through all that until it locks up.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is in auto mode when it happens.
Have you used the manual mode at all? Any issues with the shifts while in manual?

I think there is a thread (lol, probably several) on here about adjusting the shifting. The P5’s definitely clunk through the gears until that first break in oil change is done. And they do improve (or you just get used to it and it’s really a placebo effect). But I didn’t experience anything close to what you’re describing with it bogging the motor and essentially going into limp mode until you cycle the ignition/power/key.

M

MKelly Dixon

Jun 8, 2021
Niota, Tn.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious. Could it have anything to do with the seatbelt safety? If the driver’s seat seatbelt isn’t connected mine acts crazy like it’s running out of gas or gonna quit on me when I get to 11 or 12 mph. I know it’s a governor control but 🤷‍♂️.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious. Could it have anything to do with the seatbelt safety? If the driver’s seat seatbelt isn’t connected mine acts crazy like it’s running out of gas or gonna quit on me when I get to 11 or 12 mph. I know it’s a governor control but 🤷‍♂️.
I don’t think the display flashes at you when the seatbelt governor kicks in on you. But it’s never a bad idea to check an easy item off the potential issue list.

Deacon

Deacon

Feb 8, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
That is a good question. The problem did not happen until after I buckled the seat belt behind me and left it buckled. I only drive on relatively flat farmland checking cattle so I feel comfortable without the belt. I’ll try unbuckling it and see if that fixes it. The dealer has asked me to bring it back to them so they can run a diagnostic on it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
First time I adjusted my clutch, went too far on turns. It would stall out on shift. Thinking it had to do with the engine retard feature during shifts. Found the sweet spot and all ok. Maybe try a clutch adjustment?

PS. Are you familiar with the emergency shift tool?

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Here is the old thread @Deacon where I had the stall issue and lock in 1st. @HondaTech clarified the clutch adjustment and shift retard stall on page 2 post #24. Best of luck hoping your problem is this simple and not something worst.

Last edited:
Deacon

Deacon

Feb 8, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
First time I adjusted my clutch, went too far on turns. It would stall out on shift. Thinking it had to do with the engine retard feature during shifts. Found the sweet spot and all ok. Maybe try a clutch adjustment?

PS. Are you familiar with the emergency shift tool?

I am familiar with the tool but have never had to use it. Thanks for the video.
Is the frame rusted out yet?
I hope not, it is only 3 months old and has less than 12 miles on it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!