P500 1st Clutch Adjustment

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
was simple and easy. For most of its life, when cold, the first couple of shifts 2nd to 3rd, would stay in 2nd. On Sunday, it was stuck in forth, even though we had traveled a couple of miles. Had to double hit the paddle to go to 5th.

Manual says to:
- Loosen lock nut
- One turn clockwise
- Turn counter clockwise until resistance is felt
- Turn clockwise 1/4 turn
- Lock it back down

Basically, the position it was at, was were I felt the resistance. So the new point is 1/4 turn clockwise from where it was.

We did our normal evening loop and had no shifting issues.

J

JTW

was simple and easy. For most of its life, when cold, the first couple of shifts 2nd to 3rd, would stay in 2nd. On Sunday, it was stuck in forth, even though we had traveled a couple of miles. Had to double hit the paddle to go to 5th.

Manual says to:
- Loosen lock nut
- One turn clockwise
- Lock it back down

Basically, the position it was at, was were I felt the resistance. So the new point is 1/4 turn clockwise from where it was.

Good info!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Manual says to:
- Loosen lock nut
- One turn clockwise
- Lock it back down

That's great news, and thanks for the information FuzzyGrubb!!!

H

HondaTech

if your having issues with shifting, (first gear bog, harsh downshifts, delayed feel) try leaving the the clutch loose. I've had the pleasure of servicing many of these and have found the "sweet" spot so to say on the clutch.
By loose, I mean turn it to resistance then instead of going back only a 1/4 turn, try more like a 1/2 turn or a little more.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
if your having issues with shifting, (first gear bog, harsh downshifts, delayed feel) try leaving the the clutch loose. I've had the pleasure of servicing many of these and have found the "sweet" spot so to say on the clutch.
By loose, I mean turn it to resistance then instead of going back only a 1/4 turn, try more like a 1/2 turn or a little more.
Good info. I'm glad we have a Honda technician on our forum.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried that. The looser I adjusted, the easier it shifted in high rpms. Tighter and it shifted better in lower rpms. I ended up doing about 1/3 turn out and it was perfect...

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also noticed while in 4wd "short shifting" works best. Pull the shifter and release quickly. 2wd pull the shifter and hold it until it fully shifts. This has worked perfectly.

Reactions: Montecresto
J

JTW

Sounds like you need to have a servicing party.... errrrr??? Maybe you should be sure and put Honda Servicing Party on the invites!

Reactions: Shadesmn
H

HondaTech

I work on everything at my dealership but I specialize in electrical and CRF maintenence. I just happen to be the main SXS and Aqutrax tech as well for the moment, I've got my hands in a lot where I work tbh.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HondaTech,

Am I correct? As the clutch wears, the gap gets smaller?
I doubt clutch plate wear would even be noticeable as far as adjustment goes. That's mainly to correct wear with the mechanical parts. What you're actually adjusting is air gap for lifter plate (assuming the p5 is same basic setup as foreman/ranchers).

Reactions: Arizona and AlR
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just adjusted my clutch, took one minute... LOL... I noticed when I would shift its like it would hesitate to fully disengage the clutch. Kinda felt similar to a slip. Mine only has a little over 200 miles and sits up a lot. Half a turn out was too much...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just adjusted my clutch, took one minute... LOL... I noticed when I would shift its like it would hesitate to fully disengage the clutch. Kinda felt similar to a slip. Mine only has a little over 200 miles and sits up a lot. Half a turn out was too much...
So........what'd you do, re-adjust it back?

Reactions: Arizona
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Did the adjustment today, went too far and would die out on shifts, then err code and stuck in 1st. Worst on AT mode. Scary. Went back between 1/3 and 1/4 to find the sweet spot after a few try's. All ok and smoother now. Don't you like things you can actually work on with a screwdriver and wrench, like the old cars used to be? Good 35 mile ride in the steep hills today.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Did the adjustment today, went too far and would die out on shifts, then err code and stuck in 1st. Worst on AT mode. Scary. Went back between 1/3 and 1/4 to find the sweet spot after a few try's. All ok and smoother now. Don't you like things you can actually work on with a screwdriver and wrench, like the old cars used to be? Good 35 mile ride in the steep hills today.
:eek: sensitive isn't it??

Reactions: AlR
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
25 mile ride today to check clutch adjustment. A really good change, no jerking and no slippage with two riding up steep hills. Glad I did it and thanks for the earlier posts on how to do it. If anyone knows the relationship between the over adjustment and engine die out, I am curious. Might be the auto trottle kill for shifting, but surprised how so little of a turn would have such a drastic effect.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I think I dipped into the bourbon a little excessively when I wrote this... I'm very redundant when I drink... haha...

Reactions: JTW
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500

Manual says to:
- Loosen lock nut
- One turn clockwise
- Lock it back down

Guys
I think I'm having clutch issues, but I have a 2017 P500. My owners manual has nothing on clutch adjustment. What "manual" are you referring to? Can I get a scan of the pages?
Thanx Al

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!