Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Seems like this thing changes every year so figured I'd post it up this way.
Added the OutKast forward arched A arms, new All Balls ball joints, tie rod extensions from OutKast and 28x10x12 BH 2.0's on all four.
It's sitting a little higher and not just by measurement...I knew it would a little but the wife was adamant that she didn't want it any higher off the ground, had her sit in it when it was done and was promptly informed that it was sitting higher. :rolleyes:
Install wasn't terrible but there were a few things that needed to be dealt with. You have to drill your A arm tabs to accommodate 12mm bolts in place of the 10mm factory ones, they're not supplied either. Anyone doing this mod, invest in a bit extension or get a long 15/32 bit up front, you'll see why. ;)
Had the new ball joints pressed in at a local shop, heard the old ones were a b**** to get out so just went new. That wasn't exactly painless either.
The extended tie rod ends have a longer, slimmer taper than the stockers and the castle nut ended up bottoming out against it before it was tight. It just spun against the bottom of the taper without cinching up. Asked OutKast about it and they were in no hurry to answer if anyone else had the issue, I ended up using some thick washers as spacers to fill the void. They're tight now and the hole for the cotter pin lined right up so it's good to go.
Wanted to run the brake lines behind the shocks to better protect them but seemed like it was putting some stretch to them so I routed them to the front. Need to come up with permanent fasteners for them, just zip tied for now.
Had to drill new holes in my A arm guards to make them work but they're on and solid. Was curious if I'd still get the CV bump on the passenger side when at full droop, no more bump. 😁

4 8 A arm 1
4 8 A arm

Definitely stretched her legs a bit, could fit much bigger tires if you wanted to.

4 8 Side

Added the Moose hitch and had to move the Booger Whip brackets out to accommodate the bigger spare.

4 8 Rear

Lost an inch in width going from the 11's to the 10's, it's sitting at 55" right now. Might bump it out, we'll have to see how it rides.

4 8 Front

Everything fits and functions. Now to take this thing out and try it!

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Man you have huge spare tire. Ha

Why...thank you. 😏
Yeah they don't look that big on the machine until you take one off and put it 3 ft off the ground, then it looks huge! That's an up close pic too though and it doesn't fill up the back as much as it looks.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
perhaps you've heard this before; I was watching a favored movie last night and thought of your machine

"EM-50"

Reactions: Biteme and trigger
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
In regards to your comment about it feeling taller to your wife. I was surprised when I went from 25” to 27” I never measured the difference but I could definitely feel the difference sitting in the seat. It felt a little weird for the first few miles. What size tire did you have before the 28’s?

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
In regards to your comment about it feeling taller to your wife. I was surprised when I went from 25” to 27” I never measured the difference but I could definitely feel the difference sitting in the seat. It felt a little weird for the first few miles. What size tire did you have before the 28’s?
He had 26’s. They are on my rig now 👍🏼

6072ED31 8D03 4204 A4AD F4EE81176BF5

4AF310AD 005E 4FA1 9B03 E1D3255DAB9E

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
Added the OutKast forward arched A arms, new All Balls ball joints, tie rod extensions from OutKast and 28x10x12 BH 2.0's on all four.
It's sitting a little higher and not just by measurement...I knew it would a little but the wife was adamant that she didn't want it any higher off the ground, had her sit in it when it was done and was promptly informed that it was sitting higher. :rolleyes:
Install wasn't terrible but there were a few things that needed to be dealt with. You have to drill your A arm tabs to accommodate 12mm bolts in place of the 10mm factory ones, they're not supplied either. Anyone doing this mod, invest in a bit extension or get a long 15/32 bit up front, you'll see why. ;)
Had the new ball joints pressed in at a local shop, heard the old ones were a b**** to get out so just went new. That wasn't exactly painless either.
The extended tie rod ends have a longer, slimmer taper than the stockers and the castle nut ended up bottoming out against it before it was tight. It just spun against the bottom of the taper without cinching up. Asked OutKast about it and they were in no hurry to answer if anyone else had the issue, I ended up using some thick washers as spacers to fill the void. They're tight now and the hole for the cotter pin lined right up so it's good to go.
Wanted to run the brake lines behind the shocks to better protect them but seemed like it was putting some stretch to them so I routed them to the front. Need to come up with permanent fasteners for them, just zip tied for now.
Had to drill new holes in my A arm guards to make them work but they're on and solid. Was curious if I'd still get the CV bump on the passenger side when at full droop, no more bump. 😁

View attachment 195507View attachment 195508

Definitely stretched her legs a bit, could fit much bigger tires if you wanted to.

View attachment 195509

Added the Moose hitch and had to move the Booger Whip brackets out to accommodate the bigger spare.

View attachment 195506

Lost an inch in width going from the 11's to the 10's, it's sitting at 55" right now. Might bump it out, we'll have to see how it rides.

View attachment 195505
It looks great!!!!! NOW are you done??????

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

View attachment 195507View attachment 195508

View attachment 195509

View attachment 195506

View attachment 195505
Looks great!!!! Damn trigger, you sure do turn wrenches on that machine. What’s next on the agenda? What’s your total width now, same as my 1000 🤔😊

• Wow
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Yeah I had 26's on it. Not a big change but like you said, you can feel the difference. Had to go back and edit my post too, I'm at 55" now after losing the inch. Went ahead and ordered 2" spacers for the rear last night. The 1" that are on the rear now, I'll move up front for an even track width. I still plan to try it the way it is but I know I'll want the extra stability.
No ATM's and nothing else on the agenda...I'm done again. 😉

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah I had 26's on it. Not a big change but like you said, you can feel the difference. Had to go back and edit my post too, I'm at 55" now after losing the inch. Went ahead and ordered 2" spacers for the rear last night. The 1" that are on the rear now, I'll move up front for an even track width. I still plan to try it the way it is but I know I'll want the extra stability.
No ATM's and nothing else on the agenda...I'm done again. 😉
So what will your width be then....57??

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I think it's safe to say you have the trickest 500 in the land, @trigger!

Thanks DG.
If "trickest" means having the most sh** on it, lol, you're probably right! Didn't set out to go this far, just kept trying to make it better and it ended up this way. It has made it perform better than stock in every category though.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!