BOX1

P1000 On The Edge - P1K5 - In My Future?

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
After a lot of time researching this, I'm on the edge about buying a P1K5 Standard with full Honda OEM hard enclosure and heater. The 5 seater for taking family for rides when they visit. I will do all accessory installs. I'm having a hard time with the cost. We can afford it (cash) it's just pricey for a toy.

We live in an area with trails and dirt roads that are accessible from our home. Get on and ride. Use my 2003 Rincon now. So riding is not an issue.

Going full hard enclosure with a heater would allow winter use. Our mail box is 3 miles of dirt road from our house. Trash disposal is 31/4 miles. I could use the Pioneer for these trips year round. Trying to justify the cost here.

I have been talking to a salesman at a local dealer. They will not give a discount on the Pioneer. All dealers I have talked to are at MSRP.
The local dealers salesman will give me 15% of my hard enclosure. About a $700 savings.

I'm in no hurry due to having the Rincon to ride. I think I will wait and see what happens to prices after supply of machines goes up. I think I could save at least a $1000.
On the edge at 9200 feet in the Colorado mountains.

I'm open to input from you guys.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think you'll be waiting quite a while if you're wanting a discount. That really goes for any brand of machine. Probably 6 months at least. Historically colorado doesn't seem to give great discounts anyway. If waiting that long is worth $1000 that's up to you.

I would take a serious look at the Can Am Defender HD10. If you are wanting a full cab with heat they have the best cab system out there. Just my opinion. Hondas cab isn't the best, especially if you want to use the rear seats in the winter.

What do you see yourself doing the most of with your machine?

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Best cab in my opinion is on a John Deere Gator. Would I ever own one? NO possible way.
Next best cab would probably be a tie between Can Am and Polaris. The Can Am, I might consider. Polaris. Another NO way.

The Pioneer has the worst and poorest thought out factory accessories but it's the machine that I own and will continue to own. I love mine. There are a few more after-market add-ons available every year so that is where I'd go if I were you. Let the spending begin!!!!!!

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was the same before I bought, I wasn‘t planning to spend as much as I have on mine but in the end feel it’ll be worth it for the enjoyment it’ll bring. Once you rip that bandaid off the ole dusty wallet, you’ll see it was worth it.

Personally I wouldn’t go with a full hard cab, go with a front windshield and then the Honda mid fabric and seizmik soft doors, this will give you a more year round functional cab as you’ll be able to roll up the mid panel and roll down the door windows in the summer. With this setup I wouldn’t recommend the SATV flip up windshield unless you are very diy and can figure out new mounting solutions, it’s the setup I have and I’m very happy with it.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the replies.
I looked at the soft cabs and wondered how long they will last.
No belted machines. I would rather deal with a not perfect cab. You can find something you don't like on everything you purchase.
I figure if necessary I will remove the Honda full doors and put on the half doors in summer.
I also want to buy the cab from a brick store(dealer) if any problems arise.

Cuoutdoors I believe you're right about machine prices.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies.
I looked at the soft cabs and wondered how long they will last.
No belted machines. I would rather deal with a not perfect cab. You can find something you don't like on everything you purchase.
I figure if necessary I will remove the Honda full doors and put on the half doors in summer.
I also want to buy the cab from a brick store(dealer) if any problems arise.

Cuoutdoors I believe you're right about machine prices.
I think you’ll be shocked on their durability but think of it this way, the soft parts will cost you $650, if you have to replace or fix after 5 years it’s not like replacing a cracked hard door.

Reactions: ChadD
Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I get your point tdhanses. I thought of this.
My problem is I can't see both to compare.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’m not sure on enclosures, but I’m probably going with the soft set and dress warmer. Just blocking the wind makes a huge difference.

As far as machine prices it’s the same in WI. My local dealer told me to come back in March. They said there might be discounts then. I’m kind of hanging back and waiting until spring to buy a second utv.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm not against dressing warm to use it year round. I like the look of the hard parts also.

R

rickoshea

i have the deluxe.i wasn't planning on any cab comfort but i've now added the soft mid panel that i broke one of the zippers on but the other one still works,the soft bimini that looks like it has been through a war zone,the full poly windshield that so far only has a couple small scratches and a manual wiper,the 2 piece windshield that's holding up ok,but the lower half windshield has seen better days as far as scratches go,and i'm waiting on front doors because my tracks throw a crap ton of snow into the cab.my winters get crazy cold up here.would i spend the $ on a hard cab?probably not.cheaper for me to invest in quality winter clothing,which i need up here anyways.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also if anyone wants to save money a road trip to Honda of the Ozarks in Springfield, MO might be worth it, when I was shopping they were $17098 otd and had 18 P1k5’s in stock.

Reactions: TripleB and ChadD
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get your point tdhanses. I thought of this.
My problem is I can't see both to compare.
Also I’d look hard at the SATV hard cab system over the factory Honda, probably cheaper as well.

Dangb1

Dangb1

Oct 25, 2020
Ogema Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-2
My first side by side the only enclosure available was a soft top with half zipper doors with velcro strips to attach the bottoms to the plastic half doors , after two winters the plastic windows started cracking and had to replace the velcro strips three times and unzipping and zipping the door to get in and out became a pain. After two winters of pushing snow I had to replace the wet clutch, that's when I decided no more belt drives and I wanted one with a full enclosure and power steering. I really like the hard cab with heat for winter use it's easy to to get in and out of, in the summer it takes 10 to 15 minutes to swap the full doors out with the half doors.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I have the Honda soft door tops on my 2018 1000-3. They are not rigid enough, which causes huge gaps while driving. Since they do not seal up well, It makes makes the heater less than effective. I am seriously considering replacing them with the Honda hard doors. Maybe the current version of the Honda soft doors is better than the older version I have. The Seizmik half doors are more rigid than the Honda doors due the added hinge on the door and the frame that extends into the lower door. The price differential between the two styles makes the choice of the hard doors difficult.

Reactions: TripleB and ChadD
Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If I decide to purchase a Pioneer 5 I will post up my experience with the hard enclosure for sure.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have the Honda soft door tops on my 2018 1000-3. They are not rigid enough, which causes huge gaps while driving. Since they do not seal up well, It makes makes the heater less than effective. I am seriously considering replacing them with the Honda hard doors. Maybe the current version of the Honda soft doors is better than the older version I have. The Seizmik half doors are more rigid than the Honda doors due the added hinge on the door and the frame that extends into the lower door. The price differential between the two styles makes the choice of the hard doors difficult.
The Honda 2nd generation soft doors seal much better than the old ones. Im sure they're no where near as good as the hard doors but I like them. I would buy them again.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What about a yamaha wolverine x4/Rmax X4? Do they have good cab enclosures?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
If you are serious about wanting to buy one and save money, then start looking after Christmas through Jan/Feb and be prepared (cash talks) to bounce when the unit pops up. I have bought “right” three different 500 Pioneer machines, enjoyed them and sold them later for even money or made a little. That is, you will see well-equipped machines routinely go up (look on local Facebook, Craigslist, here, etc.) with plenty of warranty, etc., at significant discounts from individuals who “thought” they needed a toy and later realized that 20K toy is too expensive to sit around.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
The Honda 2nd generation soft doors seal much better than the old ones. Im sure they're no where near as good as the hard doors but I like them. I would buy them again.

TripleB,
What is the difference or improvement between the first gen and second gen doors? How did they achieve better sealing?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
TripleB,
What is the difference or improvement between the first gen and second gen doors? How did they achieve better sealing?
20201225 192300

I believe the 2 things in red are the main difference. The seal straps along the cage for the top of the door and that bracket insures that the door fits tight against the cage. The 1st generation doors looked liked they just flopped around at the top.

Reactions: ChadD and Prntckt
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!