P1000 On the fence and wanting to pull the trigger

H

heavyhitter

Sep 18, 2018
omaha
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Do not currently own
So I recently bought an acreage to ride around, fish, hunt etc. I will need a machine to tow a rough cut mower, haul a trailer, carry wood and do acre maintenance work. I also intend to ride a lot in wooded trails (I have access to 1000 acres) and wet muddy fields. Ive really decided on the Pioneer 1000 EPS 3 seat 2018, or the brand new 2019 Mule Pro-MX. I'm leaning much more towards the Honda, I have a price worked out with the dealer and my financing lined up I just have to sign my name and take possession.

Reading through the forums I'm starting to have doubts and uncertainty about quality and reliability. I have 3 questions that literally keep me up a night because I want to buy this thing ASAP so I figured I would post and maybe you could help?

1. $14,000 OTD for a 18'P1k EPS 3 seater a good deal? I will still have to pay $1050 in tax to get the title from the Treasurer. So $15,005 still a good deal?

2. Does the 2018 model have most of the bugs worked out that seemed to plague the 2016s?

3. What are the must do fixes I need to do, the ones Honda over looked both to make me comfortable and not not leave me stranded alone in the woods? I keep reading about heat shields, clutches, intakes, vent tubes, throttle bodies man that a lot of fixes..What really need to be done to keep this thing going and have piece of mind?

I'm anxiously awaiting your replies to help me decide so I can finally sleep at night lol. Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your clutches will be the update. I would extend the vent lines. Your golden. Go get it not one person on this forum has been stranded by the 1000 I can recall.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Seems like a good deal but SXS are more expensive over here

Yes bugs have really been cleaned up but also even with prior models no big deal because they are available for the updates for free minus the updated intake but that’s cheap and I’d still snorkel

Underseat fan is important to many and check around the machine like you really should on any. I don’t think Honda is any worse then most at quality control on assembly were just not use to seeing it from them is all.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like plumber said, the clutch update will be done befor it left the factory, the heat shields and intake clamps should be done by your dealership befor you take possession. Is the machine perfect? Depends on the owner, but for what you are looking to use it for I don’t think you will find another machine that will fit your needs, and still be able to lay into the throttle open it up and have fun with as much as the 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I recently bought an acreage to ride around, fish, hunt etc. I will need a machine to tow a rough cut mower, haul a trailer, carry wood and do acre maintenance work. I also intend to ride a lot in wooded trails (I have access to 1000 acres) and wet muddy fields. Ive really decided on the Pioneer 1000 EPS 3 seat 2018, or the brand new 2019 Mule Pro-MX. I'm leaning much more towards the Honda, I have a price worked out with the dealer and my financing lined up I just have to sign my name and take possession.

Reading through the forums I'm starting to have doubts and uncertainty about quality and reliability. I have 3 questions that literally keep me up a night because I want to buy this thing ASAP so I figured I would post and maybe you could help?

1. $14,000 OTD for a 18'P1k EPS 3 seater a good deal? I will still have to pay $1050 in tax to get the title from the Treasurer. So $1505 still a good deal?

2. Does the 2018 model have most of the bugs worked out that seemed to plague the 2016s?

3. What are the must do fixes I need to do, the ones Honda over looked both to make me comfortable and not not leave me stranded alone in the woods? I keep reading about heat shields, clutches, intakes, vent tubes, throttle bodies man that a lot of fixes..What really need to be done to keep this thing going and have piece of mind?

I'm anxiously awaiting your replies to help me decide so I can finally sleep at night lol. Thank you kindly.

The Honda is the jack of all trades and does them all very well. I'd pick it over the mule.
I see you're from omaha. I am near des moines and if you want to get a real look at one you're welcome to come drive mine. I saved thousands by driving down to russellville Honda in russellville Arkansas. If you dont mind a little drive it's well worth the trip.

Putting a fan under the seat is a good idea but the clutches are all taken care of. The intake is fine, the vent tubes could be extended for $10 and the throttle body is just a check that the clamps are tight. It's a great machine!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Get the Honda. We just got back from a 137 mile cross country trip in the Black Rock desert of Nevada. Went 56 mph across the desert flats to keep up with the pickups and suvs. Then climbed a 60 degree hill with spin-out holes from a Toyota pickup and lots of sharp rocks. We loaded her down with our geodes and other goodies (rocks) and hit it in low 4X4 lock. I was too busy trying to go around the holes to watch the rpm, but it made it with flying colors. I can't say that for the Razor that was behind us. He didn't make it. Stopped mid hill and smoked his belt. He made it back to camp with us following in case he needed a tow. Ours, a Honda 1000-3 eps, 2017 with 388 miles. No issues. Just reliable transportation. Like they say... she's good at everything. We must have had 700 pounds of rock and gear in the back, plus the spare tire rack and 3 gallons of water and 3 gallons of gas. My neighbor has a brand new Kawasaki sxs with 35 miles. He's afraid to go too far as he has already broken down once in his backyard. 4X4 went out, 3 weeks at dealer. Told not to use 4x4 on dry dirt! Wouldn't be surprised to see a for sale sign on it soon. Like everything in this world, nothing is perfect, but this machine comes pretty damn close.

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was on the fence like you a couple of months ago but I finally ponied up and bought the ticket. The machine has impressed me far more than the Maverick and YXZ that I owned before it. Everything about it just works and I can use it for work or play without looking like its dedicated to either. Smooth, quiet and fairly quick for its size, so far it's the best mechanized vehicle that I've ever owned.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was on the fence like you a couple of months ago but I finally ponied up and bought the ticket. The machine has impressed me far more than the Maverick and YXZ that I owned before it. Everything about it just works and I can use it for work or play without looking like its dedicated to either. Smooth, quiet and fairly quick for its size, so far it's the best mechanized vehicle that I've ever owned.
Very well put!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

1. $14,000 OTD for a 18'P1k EPS 3 seater a good deal? I will still have to pay $1050 in tax to get the title from the Treasurer. So $15,005 still a good deal?

If I wasn't so far away I would sell you my 2016 1k3 $12,500 white it has all the updates plus everything mentioned above also roof windshield pod lights and winch. might need tires soon though. It's been a great rig I just want a 5 seater.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If I wasn't so far away I would sell you my 2016 1k3 $12,500 white it has all the updates plus everything mentioned above also roof windshield pod lights and winch. might need tires soon though. It's been a great rig I just want a 5 seater.
This is a good deal and good machine. I can vouch for that.
For you @heavyhitter

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Being the owner of a 2016 1000-3 EPS, I would definitely buy another. My rig is a fantastic all around machine. I have 350 acres here and access to miles and miles of more trails/farm roads/logging roads to ride on. I don't rock climb nor head for the muddiest part of the farm but I do haul stuff and just ride and for me, this is the perfect machine. My son is trying to sell his Ranger, (with its' new factory, replaced motor) so he can get a Pioneer.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was it the 570
Being the owner of a 2016 1000-3 EPS, I would definitely buy another. My rig is a fantastic all around machine. I have 350 acres here and access to miles and miles of more trails/farm roads/logging roads to ride on. I don't rock climb nor head for the muddiest part of the farm but I do haul stuff and just ride and for me, this is the perfect machine. My son is trying to sell his Ranger, (with its' new factory, replaced motor) so he can get a Pioneer.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

H

heavyhitter

Sep 18, 2018
omaha
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Do not currently own
Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to get the Pioneer! But now... I struggle with wanting a 5 seater now. I found a dealer that will do a 3 seat EPS for $13699 plus tax or a 5 seat base for $14,999 plus tax. I love the idea of carrying my whole family! But I also hate that the floor will have cracks for crude to fall into (where the seats fold down) and rails over the bed making it harder to use as utility. I plan on using this mostly for fun but it WILL need to do work. Are the stock tires any good on these (the non big horns) it seems like every ATV I ever bought I needed to put on new meats.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to get the Pioneer! But now... I struggle with wanting a 5 seater now. I found a dealer that will do a 3 seat EPS for $13699 plus tax or a 5 seat base for $14,999 plus tax. I love the idea of carrying my whole family! But I also hate that the floor will have cracks for crude to fall into (where the seats fold down) and rails over the bed making it harder to use as utility. I plan on using this mostly for fun but it WILL need to do work. Are the stock tires any good on these (the non big horns) it seems like every ATV I ever bought I needed to put on new meats.
Your dealer seems a bit high to me.
If that 5 seat base does NOT have EPS, walk away slowly from it.
I would recommend you get on the phone and call every dealer in a 200 mile radius.
My 16 5 seat deluxe was bought new in Dec of 16 for $13,800 plus delivery etc.

H

heavyhitter

Sep 18, 2018
omaha
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Do not currently own
Your dealer seems a bit high to me.
If that 5 seat base does NOT have EPS, walk away slowly from it.
I would recommend you get on the phone and call every dealer in a 200 mile radius.
My 16 5 seat deluxe was bought new in Dec of 16 for $13,800 plus delivery etc.

I thought all of the 5 seaters have EPS

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just talk to your dealer and make sure it has EPS. Also about the Crud falling between the seats, what I did was get the bedliner the slide in there and pulls out easily and from time to time I’ll just put a rubber mat in there it’ll keep the crud from getting into the seats and you’ll be good. The bedliner works great when I’m hauling deer and game out of the woods and swamps. The blood does not get into the seats in all it’s contained in the bedliner and hoses out very nicely

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know 16's were available as a base 5 seat without EPS. Whether that holds true for 17/18/19, I cannot say with certainty. Driving these without eps sucks! A few members here do without EPS, but personally, it is worth every extra penny.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know 16's were available as a base 5 seat without EPS. Whether that holds true for 17/18/19, I cannot say with certainty. Driving these without eps sucks! A few members here do without EPS, but personally, it is worth every extra penny.
Roger that!
So just ask if they do? If not and they don’t have one that does, and they want to sell u one that bad. Have them put an aftermarket one on no charge, at worst case cost.;) It should be just as good.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Roger that!
So just ask if they do? If not and they don’t have one that does, and they want to sell u one that bad. Have them put an aftermarket one on no charge, at worst case cost.;) It should be just as good.
SuperATV has an EPS kit for ~$600. So factor that into your shopping if their base is truly a base.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!