P1000 On the fence and wanting to pull the trigger

CLS

CLS

Aug 26, 2018
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Roger that!
So just ask if they do? If not and they don’t have one that does, and they want to sell u one that bad. Have them put an aftermarket one on no charge, at worst case cost.;) It should be just as good.
All 2018 5 seaters are standard with eps.

Reactions: Remington and sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As to the pricing. I spent the better part of a day on the phone. I called every dealer, that was listed on the Honda dealer list, within a 3 hour drive. I told them right up front that I was a real customer but that I was fishing for the best possible price. I told them what I wanted for accessories, that I would come with cash or a check and I was looking for their best out the door price. I only had one not interested in playing and ended up driving 2 hours to a dealer that gave me an out the door price for my rig plus all of the accessories that matched my local dealers' bare rig best price. Well worth the drive and the time spent fishing.

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to get the Pioneer! But now... I struggle with wanting a 5 seater now. I found a dealer that will do a 3 seat EPS for $13699 plus tax or a 5 seat base for $14,999 plus tax. I love the idea of carrying my whole family! But I also hate that the floor will have cracks for crude to fall into (where the seats fold down) and rails over the bed making it harder to use as utility. I plan on using this mostly for fun but it WILL need to do work. Are the stock tires any good on these (the non big horns) it seems like every ATV I ever bought I needed to put on new meats.
Mine is a P5 base and that's what I paid OTD. I went with the 5 simply because I can't use what I don't have. It's nice to be able to haul 5 if need be (it's already happened). With the money I saved over the Deluxe I was able to buy 28" carnivores with wheels, the Deluxe body panel kit plus an AlienShade top and still saved a couple hundred.

IMG 0958 IMG 0960

PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Your dealer seems a bit high to me.
If that 5 seat base does NOT have EPS, walk away slowly from it.
I would recommend you get on the phone and call every dealer in a 200 mile radius.
My 16 5 seat deluxe was bought new in Dec of 16 for $13,800 plus delivery etc.

I am sure I am in the minority, but I prefer the 3 seater. I use the bed a lot to haul firewood, etc. I like being able to access it without any obstructions. Might want to check with your wife to see if she truly has an interest in going for rides with the kids. If so, go with the 5 seater. Either way, I doubt you will be disappointed.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I take possession of a Blue 3seat eps this afternoon, thanks for the feedback everyone.
Congrats! Send pics in the trailer, you’ll appreciate it later and we love pictures too:)

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to get the Pioneer! But now... I struggle with wanting a 5 seater now. I found a dealer that will do a 3 seat EPS for $13699 plus tax or a 5 seat base for $14,999 plus tax. I love the idea of carrying my whole family! But I also hate that the floor will have cracks for crude to fall into (where the seats fold down) and rails over the bed making it harder to use as utility. I plan on using this mostly for fun but it WILL need to do work. Are the stock tires any good on these (the non big horns) it seems like every ATV I ever bought I needed to put on new meats.
That’s what I paid for a 1000-5 Deluxe. I’d keep checking...

Reactions: BWAF
H

heavyhitter

Sep 18, 2018
omaha
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Do not currently own
My first ride report, was a short 6 mile loop down some gravel roads, some some wet slop of 12" of standing water and through some grassy fields with about 4ft high grass.

Right way I felt like the machine seems to wallow or have too much body roll on hard back and gravel roads. This is my first sxs and maybe I am not used to them but perhaps new tires with stiffer sidewalls will help?

The shifting in automatic sport mode- the engine seems to hang out in high RPMS and doesn't shift as early as I would like, when it does shift it seems lazy about it. Ive read this will get better with miles?

The plastic floor is cheesy, driving down gravel roads at 30 MPH a felt a couple of rocks fly up from the front tire and hit the floor, it sounded and felt like it was going to blast through the floorboards. I could physically feel the rocks hit the bottom of my shoe, and this is just from being kicked up from driving at moderate speed mind you. Now I don't think these would break through but I can tell that it wouldn't take much for a branch to rip through the floor.

After a brisk maybe 15 minute drive I noticed the muffler on the drivers side was glowing orange/red hot, the sun was going down and it was overcast and the muffler was emitting a softly lit glow. Anyone else have that issue?

My steering wheel was out of alignment I called the dealer and was told just pop the wheel off and put it back on it should have splines to line up with.

I bed does rattle quite a bit, I hope there is an easy fix.

The machine went through some light mud and a foot of water no problems in 2wd. It has more pep than I expected even with two grown men in it and I'm a big dude. Very roomy for 2 grown men and comfortable. I did do a little trip in the dark and the headlights worked great I don't see the need to add extra... however thats on gravel not in dark woods.

Well my first ride wasn't anything exciting and these are my observations. I do like the machine and I do not have sxs experience to compare it to. I do think "for me" I will always be more of an ATV and dirt-bike guy however it was nice going through the water and staying very dry!

I would like to add a winch for sure, maybe a roof. The build quality other than the floor seems very high. I cant wait to get more seat time, however if a new Grizzly 850 comes out next year, that will be my ride of choice.

Oh yea, first think I ordered was a mirror, I think these definitely need one.

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All SXS have plastic floors and when rocks get kicked up, you feel them. As for the steering wheel, check the alignment before moving the wheel. Mine was close to 2" toe out when I brought it home. Honda sucks at getting that right. The shifting will definitely get better with time. Mine still seems clunky when it's cold but after a few minutes of warming up, shifts better than the trans in my pickup.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!