P500 One inch lift

kosh

kosh

Jan 12, 2021
Ste. Anne, Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
The lift kits I've seen go on the shocks and lift the body. The drive train is attached to the body/frame so the angle from the diff to the wheel is increased.

Reactions: Mudder
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Curious as well, how are you going to raise it 1" inch? Don't forget the center of gravity will be changing some, LOL...

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm curious on the inch as well.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
The one inch lifts I have seen have been either an addition of a spacer to the shock or the use of new brackets to lower the top shock mount, in either case it increases the angle the CV joint will be operating at during routine operation. I don't know the strength of the P500 CV, however all CVs are weaker as the angle increases. I would recommend added ground clearance with larger diameter tires. The initial cost will be more but the long turn reliability and better ride would be my choice.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Agree that larger tires are probably the best bet. The right front actually binds (or comes close to it) under full droop stock. And those shock spacer things are notorious for having a negative effect on ride quality, and that's the last thing a 500 needs.

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Agree that larger tires are probably the best bet. The right front actually binds (or comes close to it) under full droop stock. And those shock spacer things are notorious for having a negative effect on ride quality, and that's the last thing a 500 needs.
Larger tires would definitely be the way to go.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I've used two of those kits with no problems. 1"ish on a Rhino and a Big Bear. The right front binding issue on certain P-5's may be a concern. If someone is committed to 25 or 26 inch rubber for power reasons it buys you another inch. P-5's don't have tire clearance problems....

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I've used two of those kits with no problems. 1"ish on a Rhino and a Big Bear. The right front binding issue on certain P-5's may be a concern. If someone is committed to 25 or 26 inch rubber for power reasons it buys you another inch. P-5's don't have tire clearance problems....
I am running 27x9-12’s on front and rear with 2” wheel spacers.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Kits are different now. Front uses spring spacers. Probably make a horrible suspension even worse. The two kits I used dropped the upper mount an inch front and rear.

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I run 30" interco R-Force tires, with 2" spacers to get a little less tippy. I had to cut the frame ends off, and if you stuff the front end down hard at lock you can still touch the front cage tube in the wheel well. Worth it. (Plus the locker, power steering and dual air shocks up front ) :)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Would putting on a one inch lift cause any problems with the drive shaft angles?
If you have aftermarket shocks now, would be the only way I would consider spacers. If you get good shocks, you won't need spacers. Spacers don't help bad stock shocks.

H

Hoop

There are two ways to get more clearance: lift kit or taller tires. Here's a link to a lift kit: PERFEX 1.5" Front & Rear LIFT Kit | Honda Pioneer 500 and yes, I agree, the centre of gravity would be raised but an inch or so wouldn't make much difference for the kind of riding I do, slow trails through the bush.
Hi, installed I. 5 inch lift. Made my own brackets for lower shock mount on front and made upper brackets for rear.
On the rear had to install 1 inch wheel spacers or shocks would rub on tires with full suspension drop perhaps because I have removed sway bar. Made a huge difference in the number of rocks that I hit.
Have not seen any adverse effects on cv shafts. Running Torq Locker front, power steering and 26 inch tires. Have 10.5 to 11 inches of ground clearance. I would not go larger tires as I find P5 has too high of gear as is for my type of use, off trail

Reactions: pappyo and Mudder
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My P500 is a 2015. What shocks would give me that extra clearance? Price is always a factor.
Elka's , Walker Evans, Fox and so on. If you go to the Pioneer 500 threads here you will find out all about shocks for the P-1's

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You honestly won't get the lift your looking for out of those either. You'll crank up the preload and then they settle. Crank them again and they settle again. You might gain more if you max them out but that's not advised.
As for axle bind, jack the front of the machine up until tires are off the ground and at full sag, rotate the wheels. On a stock P5 you'll probably feel a bump on the passenger side, that's bind. Mine did it until adding arched A arms. Can't take credit for this either, @nctrailboss turned me onto it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!