open differential

A

Alg

Aug 10, 2014
The Honda 500 has an open front differential, as opposed to a locked or limited slip differential. That does not bode well for traveling in snow, mud, etc. I was interested in getting one, but now I'm not so sure. I don't think it would do well in snow, or plowing snow.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Alg,
Welcome to the community.
Yes it has an open diff on the front. It does stump me that Honda did not put a limited slip or locker in it. I think the cost factor is more then likely why they cut it out.

Look at the mud video I posted today and you can see the diff in action.

I know this is going to be a downfall for some. Yet I think for the price it will still sell.

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Got my P500 in November with the windshield, roof and plow setup. It is the day after the blizzard of 2015 and we got 2-3 ft in my area. I was able to plow my 50 yard driveway no problem on the stock tires. But I had the 26" big horn 2.0 on order and just put them on today. Was blazin thru the snow drifts in my yard no problem. This machine is a beast for what it is. Love my honda
Big Horn 2.0 is a great choice for replacing the stock tire and fit great on te stock rim
You will have no issue plowing with this machine.

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
If you wanna plow, this is a great machine. Put some 26" maxxis big horn 2.0 on and start pushing. I live in New England and just got slammed by the blizzard of 2015. 3 ft in my neighborhood. I had a blast. Never got stuck and was blowin thru 4 ft snow drifts. I have a very long drive way and was able to push and pile snow smoothly and with minimal effort.
If you want speed get bigger then a 500. But this machine is well built and u can't beat the compact design.
I also use this machine to haul wood and trees. Works great all around.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Any rumors on someone building a kit yet?
Thinking of buying one but REALLY want full lockers

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome.
No, haven't heard anything. May be a while as the p5 is fairly new. Still need a bit more popularity to gain a look from highlifter or another aftermarket company... Hopefully it want be long.

T

TomB985

Dec 27, 2014
I plow snow with my Polaris quad, but have never tried it on a P500. But my experience with the P5 in snow has been very positive so far. I tried taking my Polaris through about 13" of snow and made it about 30' before I ground to a halt. The Polaris uses a Hilliard front differential that acts like a locker when it's engaged.

Took the P5 out and made it substantially further and was able to turn around and make it back without shoveling out. Overall it felt very similar in capability to my Polaris, and I really don't think the lack of a locker in front would make a meaningful difference plowing snow.

This is the only kind of situation I've had trouble because of the open diff. And I don't assume most plow snow on trails like this.

http://youtu.be/uA1PfwGyWik

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I had my 500 out in the deep snow yesterday and had terrible wheel hop in 4 wd...shook the whole machine. Other than snow packing in the wheel and throwing it off balance any ideas? I have never had this issue in any machine before

T

TomB985

Dec 27, 2014
SBuckJ said:
I had my 500 out in the deep snow yesterday and had terrible wheel hop in 4 wd...shook the whole machine. Other than snow packing in the wheel and throwing it off balance any ideas? I have never had this issue in any machine before

I noticed the same thing earlier today, and it's not wheel balance. They're not spinning fast enough for that.

My Polaris did the same thing in deep snow on Friday, so I don't think it has anything to do with the P5. I think applying more power and getting more wheel speed would help, but neither the P5 nor my Sportsman 450 have much more to offer.

advertisement
Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Was out in the snow today experiencing this. I don't think it's anything wrong. Just the "power to tire grab" ratio. Power wants to turn the wheel but the tire is grabbing to hard so it forces a hopping motion. Once it starts momentum keeps it going till u stop the machine or create more wheel spin like Tom said.

L

loys72

Dec 30, 2014
I think the P5 has better traction in gear on 3. I do several tests .....

Reactions: SBuckJ
Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
I started calling it "chudder". It doesn't quite feel like a shudder so... Anyways, in the deep snow when the P500 chuddered I would back up and to pack my tail and continue forward again. If I ignored the chudder I ended up stuck 90% of the time.

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I guess what's strange is I have owned at least 8 ATV's and one RZR over the past 15 years or so and have never experienced this. OK maybe my Kodiak 450 when in diff lock. What's a little unnerving about this was the way it shook the whole machine. Didn't have this in the RZR. Just thought it a little strange....of course over the years I only had one Honda and not for long-lol

Reactions: Stoney

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!