OVER - 2016 Spring Group Ride - Pioneer Takeover - April 8 & 9th - Royal Blue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Actually, @Hometeam and @scott both went over. I was first up to the rock and decided to pass on it as I couldn't see what was on the other side. After walking around there, I was able to assist home team and Scott over the rock. Looking back on it, I wish I had not chickened out. :(. That was impressive watching those two guys climb that rock.
This old man was too far back to see, I just saw a few go way around as you have to have a perfect angle to fit through, I have watched people fuss with that gap for 15 minutes before that bypass existed and finally ask them want to see how to get through that? LOL

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This old man was too far back to see, I just saw a few go way around as you have to have a perfect angle to fit through, I have watched people fuss with that gap for 15 minutes before that bypass existed and finally ask them want to see how to get through that? LOL

I remember you saying that you wanted to stay close to stock width or more narrow. It payed off in that situation, I don't think I could have fit.

I'm glad you got that video of Scott going over, he's a fearless driver!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here is a clip going down Trail 4 off the mountain, The fellas up front ran it at a pretty good pace, gotta love the scenery!

Reactions: joeymt33
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually, @Hometeam and @scott both went over. I was first up to the rock and decided to pass on it as I couldn't see what was on the other side. After walking around there, I was able to assist home team and Scott over the rock. Looking back on it, I wish I had not chickened out. :(. That was impressive watching those two guys climb that rock.
After seeing the video I wish I would of hit it harder. But I had visions of breaking an axel or crushing my skid in or lack thereof!

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
DSCF4246
the over 50 group. if that politically correct.

DSCF4246

advertisement
M

markie

Feb 15, 2016
milton kentucky
sad thing is I forgot who is who already. Old age sux.
i spent $20 at the car wash Sunday. Another $20 and I may get most if it.
Also thinking I may need something a lil bigger. 6 hours in a 500 is tight. 1000?
Keep the 500.It's best.p-5

Stimey58

Stimey58

Lifetime Member
Feb 21, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
I know this is a hell of a can of worms I'm opening but is there any consensus on preferred stock size tires for trail riding such as we did at the takeover? I tore a chunk out of one of my front oem bighorns. I saw many tires represented while there. Saw some west coast style tires I wont want (geared toward rock and dust only) and some muddin tires I wont want because I avoid muddin when I can. Im looking for stronger sidewalls and grip in tacky mud, dusty and rocky situations. Our typical ride was very similar to what we saw at RRB minus a tad bit of rock. I like the grip of the bighorn but dont want shredded sidewalls. Any advice is much appreciated.

Reactions: BIGRACK
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know this is a hell of a can of worms I'm opening but is there any consensus on preferred stock size tires for trail riding such as we did at the takeover? I tore a chunk out of one of my front oem bighorns. I saw many tires represented while there. Saw some west coast style tires I wont want (geared toward rock and dust only) and some muddin tires I wont want because I avoid muddin when I can. Im looking for stronger sidewalls and grip in tacky mud, dusty and rocky situations. Our typical ride was very similar to what we saw at RRB minus a tad bit of rock. I like the grip of the bighorn but dont want shredded sidewalls. Any advice is much appreciated.
My RipSaws did fantastic, self cleaned well and never felt any loss of traction during the ride. I did lower the pressure from 11 to 8 and made the rough stuff much smoother. They are a little agrasive looking but are 6 ply rated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Few pics as the fellas topped Trail 26. it is a 1200 ft. climb in about 4 sections 2 of which at a 40 degree incline on switchbacks that a P500 can't turn on without backing up for a 3 point turn. Couldn't make out the last two I'm terrible with names.

Good climb fellas

I was thinking about taking my P500 up there this fall. Dont see many pics/videos of them on this ride and noticed this comment, what was the issue on the switchback, was it the lack of front locker? How well did they do overall compared to the other machines? I know there are alot of variables and driver is the most important but just curious.....

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking about taking my P500 up there this fall. Dont see many pics/videos of them on this ride and noticed this comment, what was the issue on the switchback, was it the lack of front locker? How well did they do overall compared to the other machines? I know there are alot of variables and driver is the most important but just curious.....
I don't know who they were (or if they were even with the takeover group) but I seen a couple 500s climbing some really nasty stuff. IMO they are as capable as any. I'd love to talk the wife into me getting one for my own use. On a side note...I was already impressed with my 1000, but came away from RRB with a newfound respect for it. It climbed some of the steepest hills I've ever seen without a hint of struggle. Most in 2wd.

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
The one that rode with us did fine no issues.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I don't know who they were (or if they were even with the takeover group) but I seen a couple 500s climbing some really nasty stuff. IMO they are as capable as any. I'd love to talk the wife into me getting one for my own use. On a side note...I was already impressed with my 1000, but came away from RRB with a newfound respect for it. It climbed some of the steepest hills I've ever seen without a hint of struggle. Most in 2wd.

Thanks Delton, good to know. I'm also interested in the bull run / iron gap trip you mentioned. Im in north ga so wouldnt be too far...

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Delton, good to know. I'm also interested in the bull run / iron gap trip you mentioned. Im in north ga so wouldnt be too far...
If something gets put together, it'll get posted on here for sure. Great area to ride. If I can get chicken pen and a house for pig built today, I may go there tomorrow.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like y'all had a blast! Sorry I missed it, it was for good cause though. I did spend most of the week in my pioneer though, it's been doing work clearing off our property. I'll see y'all either in the fall or next spring though!

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.