OVER - 2016 Spring Group Ride - Pioneer Takeover - April 8 & 9th - Royal Blue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I was thinking about taking my P500 up there this fall. Dont see many pics/videos of them on this ride and noticed this comment, what was the issue on the switchback, was it the lack of front locker? How well did they do overall compared to the other machines? I know there are alot of variables and driver is the most important but just curious.....

I had my P500 there last October and made the climb up Trail 26 multiple times in a torrential downpour. The trail is just that tight on the switchbacks nothing lacking on the P500. Read my Royal Blue ride report thread from last November did about 200 miles in 4 days on a P500 .

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I know this is a hell of a can of worms I'm opening but is there any consensus on preferred stock size tires for trail riding such as we did at the takeover? I tore a chunk out of one of my front oem bighorns. I saw many tires represented while there. Saw some west coast style tires I wont want (geared toward rock and dust only) and some muddin tires I wont want because I avoid muddin when I can. Im looking for stronger sidewalls and grip in tacky mud, dusty and rocky situations. Our typical ride was very similar to what we saw at RRB minus a tad bit of rock. I like the grip of the bighorn but dont want shredded sidewalls. Any advice is much appreciated.
I've got the bear claw HTR they did really good at Royal blue. No cuts or holes. I did all the wet rocks and hill climbs. I was really impressed with them, and they're cheaper than most other 8 ply radial tires. Joey's roctanes did good too. I think a few others had them as well. And hometeam had them rock-a-billy's which did great too.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I had my P500 there last October and made the climb up Trail 26 multiple times in a torrential downpour. The trail is just that tight on the switchbacks nothing lacking on the P500. Read my Royal Blue ride report thread from last November did about 200 miles in 4 days on a P500 .

Here's the link to the report all done on a P500

Ride Report - Royal Blue / Pioneer, TN

Reactions: sthomp54 and DGann
M

markie

Feb 15, 2016
milton kentucky
i test drove a almost new 700-4 when I got the 500. Had some goodies on it already, low hours. Guy apparently had more money than sense and traded his toys in every 6 months (so they said) I regret no spending the extra money. But I didnt see any 500s stuck this weekend either. I got on trail 11?, I think, all the way down to the river or creek. And the trails were flat enough to open it up in 2wd. Ran great
My 500 with my set up went everywhere with no problems

M

markie

Feb 15, 2016
milton kentucky
I don't know who they were (or if they were even with the takeover group) but I seen a couple 500s climbing some really nasty stuff. IMO they are as capable as any. I'd love to talk the wife into me getting one for my own use. On a side note...I was already impressed with my 1000, but came away from RRB with a newfound respect for it. It climbed some of the steepest hills I've ever seen without a hint of struggle. Most in 2wd.
I was one of them with offset wheels and 27" dirt tamers

M

markie

Feb 15, 2016
milton kentucky
Man sure hated I couldn't hang out with you all more.The wife got that bug over the weekend and I got it sat morning. But at least I got to hang with you all on night ride.Did a little sat morning but came back to camp soon after.One of the main reasons I wanted to go was to hang out and enjoy the BBQ.Told wife not to visit the sick grandkids before we left.lol

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I know this is a hell of a can of worms I'm opening but is there any consensus on preferred stock size tires for trail riding such as we did at the takeover? I tore a chunk out of one of my front oem bighorns. I saw many tires represented while there. Saw some west coast style tires I wont want (geared toward rock and dust only) and some muddin tires I wont want because I avoid muddin when I can. Im looking for stronger sidewalls and grip in tacky mud, dusty and rocky situations. Our typical ride was very similar to what we saw at RRB minus a tad bit of rock. I like the grip of the bighorn but dont want shredded sidewalls. Any advice is much appreciated.

I have the Sedona Rock-a-Billy's and they did not disappoint one bit. They made it through, over, and up everything that was in front of it (and I typically went for the hardest path on every trail). Also had great traction at high speed runs on the trails too, which was a lot of fun to me!!! They are an 8ply. I would buy again great all arounder tire!!

Reactions: PioneerPete
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
my ripsaws did an awesome job. I should have keep it in 2wd for the night ride but didnt want to get stuck and slow the group down. On sat it was 2wd all the way and I honestly like the way it handles in 2wd better then 4wd. As for the upgrade? probably not yet. I'd love to add to the fleet and not have to sell this one just yet. Mechanically its been great,so far.
I really think I'm heading back there in a month or two. I hate the cold and its the only thing that keep me from the Saturday group run. And the fact I was not prepared well for the cold. I have some attire to purchase

Reactions: markie and DGann
BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
my ripsaws did an awesome job. I should have keep it in 2wd for the night ride but didnt want to get stuck and slow the group down. On sat it was 2wd all the way and I honestly like the way it handles in 2wd better then 4wd. As for the upgrade? probably not yet. I'd love to add to the fleet and not have to sell this one just yet. Mechanically its been great,so far.
I really think I'm heading back there in a month or two. I hate the cold and its the only thing that keep me from the Saturday group run. And the fact I was not prepared well for the cold. I have some attire to purchase
You should have let me know I had plenty of warm clothing for both of you!

advertisement
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Ebay buy used insulated hunting bibs or carhartt insulated Coveralls or their bibs and jackets. Might as well get waterproof stuff tho. I use my hunting gore tex bibs a lot. I also have some thin camo rain jacket and pants can slip them over anything if you buy them big and they pack up nice. I've bought about all my hunting cloths and carhartt cloths used on ebay. Really good deals just have to search. I got a $100 insulated carhartt jacket for $20. It was new but had some company name sewn on it.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wife and I both had on a set of my Tyvek disposable coveralls. They might look silly but nothing is better in the cold. They trap all body heat. Along with the engine heat, we stayed toasty all morning. By around 11:00 I was removing layers lol. As for tires, I was happy with the Evos (after I dropped air pressure down following Joey's advice). It was a little greasy on the mud covered rocks, but nothing is gonna help much with that. They tore those steep hills a new butthole lol.

Reactions: joeymt33 and DGann
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You should have let me know I had plenty of warm clothing for both of you!

@BIGRACK appreciate the offer. My plumber, who got me hooked on this, said the same thing. I'm new to this game. No huge deal. ya live and learn
Thanks again.

@Delton, Thats a great idea. The heat from the engine was a life saver

@scott Ebay may be the ticket. I did hit Gander Mnt on Monday, Holt Sh.../ Stuff aint cheap new

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't even cleaned mine up yet lol. Was putting it off cause I was gonna ride Wed. but didn't get enough chores done at home in time. Looks like I'm bush hogging tomorrow. So in a way I am going riding with my 4wd, just not the Pioneer lol. Adulting sucks!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a couple hrs into cleaning mine. Changed the oil yesterday, it was pretty dark, first time it's not looked almost like new .

R

randi 58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got mine cleaned up yesterday and put up

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
I ran Sedona Mud Rebels Radials. Worked Good at12psi.....maybe better at less but I was happy at 12.

Last edited:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is now clean. Gotta say that East TN mud seems easier to get off than what we have around here lol.

Reactions: markie and joeymt33
advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!