BOX1

P500 Overheating

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
So, I've had my P500 for about 4 months now and have about 550 miles on it.

Just before 500 miles it overheated and wouldn't cool back down, the radiator was cold. We worked some air out of it and it ran fine for probably 25-30 miles. The problem continued and got worse so I took it back to the dealer.

At the dealer they replaced the thermostat, temperature sensor, radiator cap, and new coolant. They said the thermostat was bad causing pressure to build too quickly and not circulate.

Just got it back and after about 20 miles it has overheated again with the radiator being cold to the touch.

Needless to say its going back to the dealer, any ideas? Anyone else had this problem?

BTW when not overheating the pioneer has been running great, no regrets purchasing as nothing else on the market comes close, just want to get her fixed now and back to riding.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, there are several threads on this.
Sounds just like those threads. Still had air trapped inside.
Need to get it at a steep angle (front up) and let it run till hot.

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
Thanks, I already read all of these posts. Before I took it to the dealer I tried and got air out of the system, it will run for a while after that then gradually start to heat up and cool down till it gets to the point where it doesn't cool down anymore because the coolant isn't circulating (radiator is cold). I probably did this 4-5 times thinking that there was just air trapped in the system.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Roger that...
Then only other thing it really can be is the thermostat.
The pump is mechanical. Unless the fins are ripped off it always spins. And there's really no way for that to happen.

Not to question your experience. But may I ask how you know it is overheating? Are you basing it off the HOT light or is it boiling over?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Because... For some reason. I'm thinking the hot light is based off the oil, not the water. Let me look at the manual.

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
The red temperature light comes on and then the check engine light and then it stops running. They just replaced the thermostat at the dealer. Once it overheats the radiator is cold, but if you reach back on the coolant lines they are very hot to the touch.

I think that it is getting air in the lines somehow, because I can mess around with it get the air out of the lines and it will run 20mi before its back to overheating again. The tech at the dealer seemed sure the thermostat was bad saying that they had boiled? the thermostat.

I did notice on the parts diagrams there is a metal joint in the coolant system with what looked like a bleed screw?

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
BTW the oil level is good, but I'm going to change the oil again before I take it back to the dealer.

I haven't looked in the manual but do I need to change to oil filer every time or every other? I replaced it with my 1st oil change.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya, I see it too.
Found my 700 manual. Think my 500 manual is at work. Will have to check it tomorrow.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Lantz Welcome to the club! What you are describing with the overheating light, the radiator being cool, and the lines hot definitely sound like air trapped in the loop keeping the pump and or thermostat from flowing fluid.

I replaced a radiator on my prior SXS of which has a very similar loop and it took several times to finally get all the air out. I used a chain hoist attached to the front bumper and lifter it up where radiator was chest high after the initial fill. Then started it up and add mix as the air was purged from the cooling loop. Probably took over 30 minutes of on off runnning and adding fluids 6 or 7 times. But it finally got full.

If you got an air pocket trapped at the pump it is essentially vapor locked aided by the thermostat. Maybe the bleed screw you seen can help with that it is certainly worth a try.

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
Thanks for the reply, I might give it one last try before I take it back to see if I can get all of the air out. Before when I was bleeding air out of it, there was a lot of air coming out of the lines and it seemed like it kept on getting more air in the lines as I rode. BTW the dealer did replace my coolant so I figured they would have bled the system?

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
Yea me too, I still have to go pick it up. The warranty covered it 100%, hopefully it will be problem free from here on out.

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
Hopefully the gasket wasn't from it getting hot and but was causing in issue. Best of luck and keep on them till it's right.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Sorry to hear that... I know you bought a Honda for reliability, but there are always a few that get by QC.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!