Overheating

C

crawler

Apr 21, 2024
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just got a 2022 Honda 1000-5 that seem to be well taken care of ( I thought ) but it runs hot when on sandy trails or in 4 wheel drive under load.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Reactions: TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Michigan.
First things first tho when u join.
Need to post pics of your ride!
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
Of your ride not the overheat! 🥳

You need to power wash that radiator real good. You must start there before digging deeper. They are known for overheating when plugged or partially. Lots of threads in the search on this as well.

Reactions: TripleB and Scoop
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
What’s the definition of hot? Is it actually boiling over or is it at two bars showing (normal).

Are you hearing the fan engage? Coolant level ? Mix ratio? Did you do any work on the cooling system recently?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What’s the definition of hot? Is it actually boiling over or is it at two bars showing (normal).

Are you hearing the fan engage? Coolant level ? Mix ratio? Did you do any work on the cooling system recently?
@crawler
☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻THIS TOO!☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻

Reactions: JenElio
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I Haven't verified if there is a similar bulletin for 22 models?
For 17 - 19 models -
There was a Honda service bulletin for an ECM fan control software update.

Take care in pressure washing your radiator core - fins, follow the other suggestions above for coolant mix ratio (use Honda premix and fill burp tank), water wetter - Purple Ice (my add that helped) and install a fan switch kit from the hondasxs.com store, to manually manage heat.

Most importantly, run your buggy in low range when loaded and in soft or sandy conditions.
You'll save your clutches and other problems too.
Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: hotdog54 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!