Pioneer 1000 overheating

G

Gooseit69

May 12, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would like to know how many people had overheating problems where it went all the past four bars and the red light came on? Honda's telling me this is normal and i just pull over and let it cool down when you're climbilng. This is freaking unbelievable that somebody would tell you thats normal! This Is How They tell you that there's a flaw but they're not responsible! And when my engine burns up you know who's going to be paying for it me! Just would like to know where and when your machine overheated! Wish we could do a class action lawsuit if I got enough people. Just bought this machine with only 600 Mi on it.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Didnt you go through this in another thread?🤔 @Pilgrim explained it really good in a thread last night.

Did u ever do the Fan switch mod from the club store so u can do On/off/auto or update the fan itself for more air flow Or both? we know this is a common problem in the higher alt. I rode in the higher alt in CO for 2 weeks and did the fan switch mod on my 16’ before I went, didnt have a problem unless I let the computer determine when to have the fan come on as I tried that once So… 🤷‍♂️

G

Gooseit69

May 12, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Didnt you go through this in another thread?🤔 @Pilgrim explained it really good in a thread last night.

Did u ever do the Fan switch mod from the club store so u can do On/off/auto or update the fan itself for more air flow Or both? we know this is a common problem in the higher alt. I rode in the higher alt in CO for 2 weeks and did the fan switch mod on my 16’ before I went, didnt have a problem unless I let the computer determine when to have the fan come on as I tried that once So… 🤷‍♂️
That's what I'm angry about, why should I have to do any modifications! I'm a disabled veteran and I can't do a lot of the work myself. This Thread is all about Honda saying this is normal.

G

Gooseit69

May 12, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what I'm angry about, why should I have to do any modifications! I'm a disabled veteran and I can't do a lot of the work myself. This Thread is all about Honda saying this is normal.
Yes I asked about this on another post but I want to see how many people have had the problem. Hopefully Honda will call me today. For them to say that this is normal is ludicrous

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've overheated due to the fan not kicking on a couple of times. I've overheated a couple of times due to the radiator being plugged up with mud. Overheated as in the light comes on. Boiled over twice. I've ran hot numerous times with no visible mud in radiator but there was always some hidden inside the fins. I can tell when my radiator is slightly dirty because it will run at 3 bars on the same uphill trails that it normally runs 2 bars. I've never ridden above 3200 feet so I don't have the issues that you highlanders have.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Your correct, you shouldn't have to do a mod. But the fact is this has been an issue since 16’ and it hasn't changed. I hope they do! But I would be impressed if they do something to fix it for you at this point. Honda has bigger fish to fry right now than to fix this long time issue of a small amount complaining about it. Im sorry for your disability whatever it limits you of doing, And thank you for your sacrifice And service. But I think the mods listed are going to be the best tree to bark up at this point. Whoever did your other mods I see on your machine can easily do these If thats the road you want to take.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Wished I had a good solution for you.
Doing the elevated burp, clean fins, and a fan override may not completely solve the issue but it will help.
I honestly think the radiator is a bit undersized.

Honda did address this with the 2022 units.

G

Gooseit69

May 12, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wished I had a good solution for you.
Doing the elevated burp, clean fins, and a fan override may not completely solve the issue but it will help.
I honestly think the radiator is a bit undersized.

Honda did address this with the 2022 units.
Thanks for your reply do you know what Honda did for the 2022 units that's a sign right there there's a problem?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just bought this machine with only 600 Mi on it.
After doing some more research on your issue to help u out, I keep getting to this. You sound as if there's nothing on or about the machine you like! All your threads.. Since bought it used with 600 or 680 miles, have u asked the person u bought it from if he had these issues or why he sold it with low miles? And did u test drive it beforehand (aka "absolutely horrible reverse gear")I don't mean testing in the mountains. Just a thought. Did u give $24k for the18'? Thats what some 22's go for.
Might be time to sell it and get a Bronco or Jeep? It really sounds like what your expecting! Just saying.

G

Gooseit69

May 12, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After doing some more research on your issue to help u out, I keep getting to this. You sound as if there's nothing on or about the machine you like! All your threads.. Since bought it used with 600 or 680 miles, have u asked the person u bought it from if he had these issues or why he sold it with low miles? And did u test drive it beforehand (aka "absolutely horrible reverse gear")I don't mean testing in the mountains. Just a thought. Did u give $24k for the18'? Thats what some 22's go for.
Might be time to sell it and get a Bronco or Jeep? It really sounds like what your expecting! Just saying.
No we bought it because I'm tired of CVT transmissions. It was on consignment at the steelership plus we bought a extended warranty so if I tried to sell it now I'd probably eat a grand or two! If somebody told you you need to pull over and let your truck cool down after going over Eisenhower and that's totally normal you would be po too! Tired of these big companies getting away with stuff

Reactions: Squeegee
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks for your reply do you know what Honda did for the 2022 units that's a sign right there there's a problem?
New fan, new shroud, new front end.
The radiator has a new part #. Unsure if it is bigger but the upgraded front end most definitely allows more air.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No we bought it because I'm tired of CVT transmissions. It was on consignment at the steelership plus we bought a extended warranty so if I tried to sell it now I'd probably eat a grand or two! If somebody told you you need to pull over and let your truck cool down after going over Eisenhower and that's totally normal you would be po too! Tired of these big companies getting away with stuff
Well Im sorry to say tht thats happened and should If your pushing it too hard. I had to take it easy with my big rig and truck when I traveled your way in one particular stretch So I didnt have to pull over to let it cool down. Later I bought and modified the inner cooler To help this. Bottom line is that nothings perfect that you buy but my Milwaukee Fuel tools i have for work but thats a different category lol.

Still sound like u dont like any type if machine. You can see that the update to the 22’ has some of the mods we have suggested.

G

Gooseit69

May 12, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks, soon as I get it back from the steelership I'm going to install it. But I have a bad neck and back so it's going to be hard for me

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Thanks, soon as I get it back from the steelership I'm going to install it. But I have a bad neck and back so it's going to be hard for me
I've got a bad neck, bad back, mid-50's, and only one leg. This stuff can be difficult, but not impossible:

Hope you get it worked out.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Do you have a friend, buddy around That’s mechanical they can come around and give you a hand for like a case of beer?

If I lived out there I’d come help you

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!