The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
@The Green Goat , Checked out your build, looks like your machine can handle anything. Didnt see upgraded skid though, might want to consider that to protect your machine. My P500 skid didnt last long at all and I did plenty of damage to the bottom of mine before I upgraded.

FYI, I am coming down from Ohio also. I live north of Dayton, Sidney/Piqua area.
Full SSS skids are already on. :cool:

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
I'll confirm assuming we have a machine to ride in time. It was mentioned room for a tent or two, will there be room for about an 8x8 where we will stop for the nights? My youngest doesn't want to sleep in the open because of "bugs" lol.

For the parking I did see someone offer a place they have, I assume we will all mostly park in the same area?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'll confirm assuming we have a machine to ride in time. It was mentioned room for a tent or two, will there be room for about an 8x8 where we will stop for the nights? My youngest doesn't want to sleep in the open because of "bugs" lol.

For the parking I did see someone offer a place they have, I assume we will all mostly park in the same area?
Yes. There will be room for tents. We just find a good place that works to camp. Sometimes HondaSXS has camping spots marked from previous rides or we just find a spot.

Yes, Guessing we will park at Eagle rock or one of the places offered.

I would highly suggest throwing a good aftermarket skid plate on before going.

Reactions: EMAW and JenElio
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes. There will be room for tents. We just find a good place that works to camp. Sometimes HondaSXS has camping spots marked from previous rides or we just find a spot.

Yes, Guessing we will park at Eagle rock or one of the places offered.

I would highly suggest throwing a good aftermarket skid plate on before going.
While I wont guarantee there will be a tent spot ready. I'm sure we can make a spot flat enough for one.

Yes, park at eagle will be best.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
7 weeks out! Who is planning on Overlanding? I'll work on the list for Hondasxs. The following list is those that have posted with interest.

Those who seem likely:
@Hondasxs - Confirmed
@Vondy - Confirmed
@The Green Goat - Confirmed
@Frogtown - Confirmed
@Adam490 - Confirmed
@Tramguage1 -Confirmed
@Barry1275 -
@Cmooneyhan -
@Joe_none - Confirmed pending machine arrival.

Those on the fence:
@coleman4868
@BigOL3
@ACfixer
@Hometeam

@Ohio4x4 and @TripleB(Mayhem ride) - Are you overlanding?

Let me know if I missed anyone.
We will not ill have my kiddo with so we will be letting her ride her own 4wheeler.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
6 weeks out. If the following people could let us know if you think you will be attending or not, that would be great. I haven't heard back from the following. Trying to get a count.
@Barry1275
@Cmooneyhan
@coleman4868
@BigOL3
@ACfixer

Last edited:
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
6 weeks out. If the following people could let us know if you think you will be attending or not, that would be great. I haven't heard back from the following. Trying to get a count.
@Barry1275
@Cmooneyhan
@coleman4868
@BigOL3
@ACfixer
@Hometeam
It will be mid Sept before I will know either way. If needed confirmation now, don't include me. If opening is still available at that time, I would like to make it. Sorry, just too many 'UNknowns' for me at this time.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
It will be mid Sept before I will know either way. If needed confirmation now, don't include me. If opening is still available at that time, I would like to make it. Sorry, just too many 'UNknowns' for me at this time.
No problem. Let me know when you can, just trying to narrow down who is serious.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
As of now I am planning on it and have it on the calendar. I think @MAJspoon might be joining me too. I have some work stuff the following week so if that gets out of control I may have to cancel in the end!!

Just throwing this out there....we have graveled the drive going up to the open land area and will be putting in concrete blocks with a cable locked at the front. If we want to make that the starting point/meet up...we can. It will be free to park there and I can lock it as we leave. I don't care either way just offering it to the group.

Last edited:
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
As of now I am planning on it and have it on the calendar. I think @MAJspoon might be joining me too. I have some work stuff the following week so of that gets out of control I may have to cancel in the end!!

Just throwing this out there....we have graveled the drive going up to the open land area and will be putting in concrete blocks with a cable locked at the front. If we want to make that the starting point/meet up...we can. It will be free to park there and I can lock it as we leave. I don't care either way just offering it to the group.
Thanks for the reply. I updated on the list.
Hondasxs can make the call on parking location. I think I heard your place is on Stinking creek but not sure where or how far east. I think our plans are to ride mostly west side and then join up the the Mayhem ride, which is based at Eagle rock. I'm good with parking wherever and greatly appreciate the offer.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Thanks for the reply. I updated on the list.
Hondasxs can make the call on parking location. I think I heard your place is on Stinking creek but not sure where or how far east. I think our plans are to ride mostly west side and then join up the the Mayhem ride, which is based at Eagle rock. I'm good with parking wherever and greatly appreciate the offer.
I am probably around 10 miles down Stinking Creek from I75. If you took the Rarity Mountain Rd exit you would go till it tees into Stinking Creek and turn right, heading towards RRB and it is about 3-4 miles that way. I'm game for anything!
I am really looking forward to this!! And I should have a different rig to put through the paces!!

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I am probably around 10 miles down Stinking Creek from I75. If you took the Rarity Mountain Rd exit you would go till it tees into Stinking Creek and turn right, heading towards RRB and it is about 3-4 miles that way. I'm game for anything!
I am really looking forward to this!! And I should have a different rig to put through the paces!!
Might be a little out of the way for riding west side. Would be perfect for jellico/tackett!!!!

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Might be a little out of the way for riding west side/jellico. Would be perfect for tackett!!!!
Yeah we bought as a place to be able to hit RRB and Tackett easily and then get over the interstate to ride also. I have not really been west yet except for Brimstone so this will be fun!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
For any new overlanders, here is a basic list of what we usually have, and seems to work. You can go as cheap as you want or as expensive as you want.

CAMPING..
  • Hammock, any hammock will work really, for cheap, the double hammock at walmart will work. Yet, I recommend one with a bug net, there all over amazon . you can get a hammock with bug net and rain fly for $50.
  • rain fly (tarp) for hammock, standard walmart tarp will be fine, make sure its big enough.
  • hammock underquilt, (google it). this acts as a air bairer between you and the outside. kinda like double-paned glass. A cheap one will work, even a fleece blanket will work as we can tie the ends up. (not a sheet). its job is to keep wind off and a layer between the hammock and cold air.
  • Pillow.... they have inflatable ones if you like.
  • Sleeping pad, Like a Thermarest pad. They make inflatable ones as well. this may not be needed but a good flat one helps keep the hammock flat. If its cold, you will want this.
  • and of couce, a sleeping bag. If its cold a extra blacket. or a overquilt (google it)
  • String and extra stakes.
  • For tent fokes, I recomend a mattress pad, blow up mattress, or small cot. recommend a tarp for under the tent as well. and of course sleeping bag and stuff.
  • Or.. Search Honda Hotel for the Pioneer 700/1000 guys about how to camp in the bed of the Pioneer.
FOOD.
You need to pack all your own food and ways to cook it. Be careful with cheese, milk, raw meat or similar items, put them in a ziplock bag then in a hard container. Eat them sooner than later.
Cooking food, a propane burner, and pan or the jetboil (or simular) and meal packs.
I'll have some fresh food the first night, then Lunchables/freezed dry meals second day
Hopefully we can make a Ice/gas run. I'll know more next weekend. Be nice to not have to carry 5 gallons of gas and only 2 for just in case.
Beer... Feel free to bring, in moderation. don't compromise over food/water.
Be sure you pack enough water.

PREP YOUR COOLER AHEAD OF TIME.
One of the biggest "hacks" is get your cooler ready before time. Especially if you have a yeti or such. The night before add ice to it so it can start to chill before the trip. Freeze several water bottles/gatoraid's to act as ice replacements in your cooler. Pre-Chill your sodas, beer, and food before hand. If you are buying beer on the way, buy cold beer.
Ice, dont get ice from your fridge ice machine. Get it from a real freezer. You can pre-collect it in the freezer if you need. or buy from a store. Dont use the ice subsite packs, they just take up space. Dry ice is the ticket but you best know how to use it or it will freeze your whole cooler rock solid then be gone the next morning.

@Vondy what did I miss or needs clarification in regards to just the camping part. We can talk about SxS tools/supplies later.

Thanks.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
For any new overlanders, here is a basic list of what we usually have, and seems to work. You can go as cheap as you want or as expensive as you want.

CAMPING..
  • Hammock, any hammock will work really, for cheap, the double hammock at walmart will work. Yet, I recommend one with a bug net, there all over amazon . you can get a hammock with bug net and rain fly for $50.
  • rain fly (tarp) for hammock, standard walmart tarp will be fine, make sure its big enough.
  • hammock underquilt, (google it). this acts as a air bairer between you and the outside. kinda like double-paned glass. A cheap one will work, even a fleece blanket will work as we can tie the ends up. (not a sheet). its job is to keep wind off and a layer between the hammock and cold air.
  • Pillow.... they have inflatable ones if you like.
  • Sleeping pad, Like a Thermarest pad. They make inflatable ones as well. this may not be needed but a good flat one helps keep the hammock flat. If its cold, you will want this.
  • and of couce, a sleeping bag. If its cold a extra blacket. or a overquilt (google it)
  • String and extra stakes.
  • For tent fokes, I recomend a mattress pad, blow up mattress, or small cot. recommend a tarp for under the tent as well. and of course sleeping bag and stuff.
  • Or.. Search Honda Hotel for the Pioneer 700/1000 guys about how to camp in the bed of the Pioneer.
FOOD.
You need to pack all your own food and ways to cook it. Be careful with cheese, milk, raw meat or similar items, put them in a ziplock bag then in a hard container. Eat them sooner than later.
Cooking food, a propane burner, and pan or the jetboil (or simular) and meal packs.
I'll have some fresh food the first night, then Lunchables/freezed dry meals second day
Hopefully we can make a Ice/gas run. I'll know more next weekend. Be nice to not have to carry 5 gallons of gas and only 2 for just in case.
Beer... Feel free to bring, in moderation. don't compromise over food/water.
Be sure you pack enough water.

PREP YOUR COOLER AHEAD OF TIME.
One of the biggest "hacks" is get your cooler ready before time. Especially if you have a yeti or such. The night before add ice to it so it can start to chill before the trip. Freeze several water bottles/gatoraid's to act as ice replacements in your cooler. Pre-Chill your sodas, beer, and food before hand. If you are buying beer on the way, buy cold beer.
Ice, dont get ice from your fridge ice machine. Get it from a real freezer. You can pre-collect it in the freezer if you need. or buy from a store. Dont use the ice subsite packs, they just take up space. Dry ice is the ticket but you best know how to use it or it will freeze your whole cooler rock solid then be gone the next morning.

@Vondy what did I miss or needs clarification in regards to just the camping part. We can talk about SxS tools/supplies later.

Thanks.
I think you got the camping part down for the most part. I'd add making sure you have a waterproof way to store your sleeping gear/clothes; either drybag, storage box, or even multiple garbage bags. Nothing worse than getting caught in the rain and all your sleeping gear is wet. Wal-Mart, Academy, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc have a number of different dry bag options in all sorts of sizes.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Another thing I'll add in regard to food prep...

I'm not a big fan of the freeze dried meals (I do keep some in my drybox in the off chance SHTF). I like to get a steak and then cut it into thin strips, portion it out and season it up, and then vacuum seal. Toss them in the freezer and you've got nice prepackaged servings. @Vondy had done some premade egg/sausage/breakfast mix that he had in a sealed container that looked really good last time we went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!