Not open for further replies.
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
For any new overlanders, here is a basic list of what we usually have, and seems to work. You can go as cheap as you want or as expensive as you want.

CAMPING..
  • Hammock, any hammock will work really, for cheap, the double hammock at walmart will work. Yet, I recommend one with a bug net, there all over amazon . you can get a hammock with bug net and rain fly for $50.
  • rain fly (tarp) for hammock, standard walmart tarp will be fine, make sure its big enough.
  • hammock underquilt, (google it). this acts as a air bairer between you and the outside. kinda like double-paned glass. A cheap one will work, even a fleece blanket will work as we can tie the ends up. (not a sheet). its job is to keep wind off and a layer between the hammock and cold air.
  • Pillow.... they have inflatable ones if you like.
  • Sleeping pad, Like a Thermarest pad. They make inflatable ones as well. this may not be needed but a good flat one helps keep the hammock flat. If its cold, you will want this.
  • and of couce, a sleeping bag. If its cold a extra blacket. or a overquilt (google it)
  • String and extra stakes.
  • For tent fokes, I recomend a mattress pad, blow up mattress, or small cot. recommend a tarp for under the tent as well. and of course sleeping bag and stuff.
  • Or.. Search Honda Hotel for the Pioneer 700/1000 guys about how to camp in the bed of the Pioneer.
FOOD.
You need to pack all your own food and ways to cook it. Be careful with cheese, milk, raw meat or similar items, put them in a ziplock bag then in a hard container. Eat them sooner than later.
Cooking food, a propane burner, and pan or the jetboil (or simular) and meal packs.
I'll have some fresh food the first night, then Lunchables/freezed dry meals second day
Hopefully we can make a Ice/gas run. I'll know more next weekend. Be nice to not have to carry 5 gallons of gas and only 2 for just in case.
Beer... Feel free to bring, in moderation. don't compromise over food/water.
Be sure you pack enough water.

PREP YOUR COOLER AHEAD OF TIME.
One of the biggest "hacks" is get your cooler ready before time. Especially if you have a yeti or such. The night before add ice to it so it can start to chill before the trip. Freeze several water bottles/gatoraid's to act as ice replacements in your cooler. Pre-Chill your sodas, beer, and food before hand. If you are buying beer on the way, buy cold beer.
Ice, dont get ice from your fridge ice machine. Get it from a real freezer. You can pre-collect it in the freezer if you need. or buy from a store. Dont use the ice subsite packs, they just take up space. Dry ice is the ticket but you best know how to use it or it will freeze your whole cooler rock solid then be gone the next morning.

@Vondy what did I miss or needs clarification in regards to just the camping part. We can talk about SxS tools/supplies later.

Thanks.
Damn good list. All I can thinks is to put some emphasis on a few things. I was absolute newbie to overlanding or even camping remotely. I’ve had 3 trips now and love it and still learning a lot on every trip.

1). Underquilt- made the biggest difference to keeping warm at night. I didn’t have my first trip and won’t hammock camp again without! Get one if you don’t have. I don’t have a pad, might make a big difference as well, but I can’t say. Also never used a pillow, I just use a sweatshirt balled up.
2) Frozen water/drinks. Keeps things cold way after ice melts. Definite suggestion.
3). Any food you bring that’s freezable, feeeze it if not eating first night. It will thaw. If you can bring two coolers, plan it so you don’t have to open second until until later on trip.
4) I have bad luck with ziplocks unless
double bagging. Stuff never seems to get out but water always seems to get in. Might just be me.
5)Too much beer makes hammock entry difficult. I’m gonna blame @TripleB for that just because. But seriously, make sure you cover your food and water needs before beer.
6) Don’t spend a bunch of money without asking for suggestions first. We have all made some bad purchases and learned from them. Let our mistakes save you $$. For example, I bought a jet boil and there are much cheaper options. I am on my second hammock, still not sure I like it. I started with a tarp for a rain cover. Worked just as good if not better than an actual rain fly.

Can’t wait to ride and overland with some new and old faces! @Hondasxs is a great guide.

Last edited:
Frogtown

Frogtown

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X
Damn good list. All I can thinks is to put some emphasis on a few things. I was absolute newbie to overlanding or even camping remotely. I’ve had 3 trips now and love it and still learning a lot on every trip.

1). Underquilt- made the biggest difference to keeping warm at night. I didn’t have my first trip and won’t hammock camp again without! Get one if you don’t have. I don’t have a pad, might make a big difference as well, but I can’t say. Also never used a pillow, I just use a sweatshirt balled up.
2) Frozen water/drinks. Keeps things cold way after ice melts. Definite suggestion.
3). Any food you bring that’s freezable, feeeze it if not eating first night. It will thaw. If you can bring two coolers, plan it so you don’t have to open second until until later on trip.
4) I have bad luck with ziplocks unless
double bagging. Stuff never seems to get out but water always seems to get in. Might just be me.
5)Too much beer makes hammock entry difficult. I’m gonna blame @TripleB for that just because. But seriously, make sure you cover your food and water needs before beer.
6) Don’t spend a bunch of money without asking for suggestions first. We have all made some bad purchases and learned from them. Let our mistakes save you $$. For example, I bought a jet boil and there are much cheaper options. I am on my second hammock, still not sure I like it. I started with a tarp for a rain cover. Worked just as good if not better than an actual rain fly.

Can’t wait to ride and overland with some new and old folks! @Hondasxs is a great guide.

I believe you worded tip #5 wrong. Get your priorities straight lol

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Just for reference
Which hammock( a link if possible)do you guys have ,and what would you chance if buying a replacement?
First hammock was a clearance from tractor supply, got the job done and that’s about it. Now I have a ridge outdoor gear from Amazon. They have good reviews on YouTube for a budget hammock. I like it better but still not sure if I would recommend. Hopefully someone else has better suggestion.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
My first one was Walmart. I still carry it as a backup.
One I use now was gifted to me (I'm the 3rd owner) It was missing hardware and the other 2 owners could not or didn't want to take the time to figure it out. It's a Warbonnet BlackBird. a $180 hammock so best be darned I figured it out.

But If I was starting, I would get this kit with a Hammock, Bugfly, Rainfly...

I recommend getting what they call a double hammock over a single. Not to sleep 2 people (which you really cant anyways) its just for more space.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My first one was Walmart. I still carry it as a backup.
One I use now was gifted to me (I'm the 3rd owner) It was missing hardware and the other 2 owners could not or didn't want to take the time to figure it out. It's a Warbonnet BlackBird. a $180 hammock so best be darned I figured it out.

But If I was starting, I would get this kit with a Hammock, Bugfly, Rainfly...

I recommend getting what they call a double hammock over a single. Not to sleep 2 people (which you really cant anyways) its just for more space.
Man I thought I was a tight ass until I met you and I still collect aluminum cans lol

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
I'm guessing they have something like licenses, permits or daily riding fees. Can they be purchased in advance or need to be done in the area?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm guessing they have something like licenses, permits or daily riding fees. Can they be purchased in advance or need to be done in the area?

Purchase online​

Tennessee Resident​

DAILY PERMIT: Type 36, Cost $18 per day
ANNUAL PASS: Type 1 plus Type 93, Cost $56

Out of State Visitor​

DAILY PERMIT: Type 38, Cost $40
SEVEN DAY PASS: Type 72 plus Type 93, Cost $84
ANNUAL PASS: Type 71 plus Type 93, Cost $133
Passengers and Children 12 and under are FREE.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Anyone else have hammock suggestions?
I run a Hennessy Hammock (Expedition model, I think). It's been great. I've had it about 9 years now and am always impressed with how comfortable it is. I got a bottom entry variant and kind of wish I'd have got the side entry. Work great though. They can be a bit pricey however.

Reactions: Vondy
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Great pre-run adventure with @Frogtown this past weekend. Have 2 great camping spots picked out and a few other smaller ones just incase.

Bring swimming trunks.

GAS....
Should not need any as we will go into Wartburg. But I would pack 2g just in case. No need for 5g at all.

A8a3d0f72bc78124250dd681ee1dd852E3d8e67ef1511cf59b0ad394a702d5673a7c5752cf0849a8061b2a3eeeae88e3Dcd9d5e278cc4b19f3eeaa7fe1f12e3d

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Looks awesome. Glad to hear about only needing a couple gallon can instead of the bulky 5gal; not a ton of space in the lil goat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!